Andro Dunos 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
kid aphex

Re: Andro Dunos 2

Post by kid aphex »

Has anyone heard about when the US version by VGNYsoft Is going to ship?
Steven

Post by Steven »

^ same question, but about the Dreamcast version
heli

Post by heli »

I made a 9CC on easy mode, trying normal mode next.
How do i unlock the last two stages in stage select ?
BIL

Post by BIL »

God damn, this is good. I see a lot of promotional materials and reviews likening it to the Saturn's STG library, but at first impression this feels nearer to the PCE canon, ala Gate of Thunder. Buttery-smooth responsiveness, big guns, and rollicking pace with super-catchy BGM.

(this describes HyperDuel, but then HD plays a lot nearer Gate of Thunder or the SFC's Scrambled Valkyrie than a murderfaced arcade killer, itself :cool:)

Never played any of Picorrine's earlier work, but given the calibre of peeps who'd vouched for them, I knew I'd be fine picking this one up blind. I hope Infinos Gaiden gets a PS4 release at some point.
heli

Post by heli »

I got 99 credits all the sudden, then i set it to lower, and wont go to 99 again.
Still not unlocked those 2 stages in stage select.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

I wrote VGNYsoft with regards to the Switch physical version they’re putting out.
They promised a Q2 release, but no updates in months.
Here’s their email response for those who care:

“Maybe end of June, maybe middle of July.
There are many problems with the paper for the certificates. Restocks are 3 times longer than normal.”
JamesBurton

Post by JamesBurton »

Preordered from VGNY. Been patiently waiting, checking their website daily. Thanks for posting the update. I hope it will be ready soon.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

FYI,

For those still waiting on the physical release from VGNY, I just received word that it’s shipping.
Fuck, finally.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

The dreamcast version continues to be vaporware.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I noticed that the Switch port of Andro Dunos 2 had gotten an update to v1.171 along with the same version number for the Series S/X port as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:I noticed that the Switch port of Andro Dunos 2 had gotten an update to v1.171 along with the same version number for the Series S/X port as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
If you hadn't of posted this I wouldn't have realised the Xbox version was even out. I didn't see it in the daily store updates at all.

How bizarre.
StrzxgvNuvWvfld

Post by StrzxgvNuvWvfld »

BrianC wrote:Switch version runs well but lacks any scaling options. PC version at least has options that divide into 320x240. Switch version is not integer scaled and it shows.
Steven wrote:Even if you set the Switch resolution to 720?
I'm a bit late to this thread as I only just got the game, but there was quite a lot of stuff about scaling a few pages back that was never really addressed and I wouldn't want it to put anyone off buying the game.

I can only speak for the PS4 version, but the pixel art here is purely aesthetic, this game is *not* displayed at 240p. On a 240p game, everything is locked to the pixel grid and everything would move one solid pixel at a time. If you pause this game, you'll see that's not the case here. You might see half a pixel disappearing off the left of the screen whilst half a pixel is appearing on the right, or the pixels that make up one of the sprites might be partially overlapping some background pixels. Movement isn't limited to 320x240 of whatever, it happens within the full resolution of the screen.

if you look closely you can see that the PS4 version doesn't use evenly scaled pixels, but because the game is scrolling the pixel art within the high resolution of the display, you don't really get "shimmer" as you would with an emulator.

I'm not sure how the PC version works, but I'd be surprised if it's different. Certainly looking at footage from the PC version online I can still see uneven pixels, but maybe this is due to the person's settings. It would be nice from an aesthetic point of view if there was an option to scale the pixel art accurately, but you still won't be playing at a scaled 240p because everything can move without constraints of a 240p resolution.

As far as scanlines go, sharp M2-style scanlines might not look right as sprites would be able to freely cross over them. Shaders and the CRT filter probably mask that by processing the image so much you can't really tell anymore, though I can still see uneven sized pixels on the screenshot using the shaders a few of pages back.

I should stress that to me none of the above is really an issue, I'm just explaining why there's no benefit to discussing this game in the way you would an emulator. Almost all modern pixel art games work like this, so don't let any of this put you off as it seems like a really nice game so far!
Steven

Post by Steven »

StrzxgvNuvWvfld wrote:I'm not sure how the PC version works, but I'd be surprised if it's different.
Be surprised, then, as I asked the developer on the Steam forum and he told me that the game's resolution is in fact 320x240. You are given options for integer scaling when not using fullscreen. When using fullscreen, it fills the screen, so you can set your resolution to a multiple of 240 and get good scaling in fullscreen if you want. I imagine most are running it at 1920x1080 instead, as that is still the most common resolution that Steam users use by a significant margin. Steam is saying that 67.10% of users use that resolution, and the second most popular resolution is 2560x1440 with only 11.48% of Steam users using it, so yeah.
StrzxgvNuvWvfld

Post by StrzxgvNuvWvfld »

Steven wrote:
StrzxgvNuvWvfld wrote:I'm not sure how the PC version works, but I'd be surprised if it's different.
Be surprised, then, as I asked the developer on the Steam forum and he told me that the game's resolution is in fact 320x240. You are given options for integer scaling when not using fullscreen. When using fullscreen, it fills the screen, so you can set your resolution to a multiple of 240 and get good scaling in fullscreen if you want. I imagine most are running it at 1920x1080 instead, as that is still the most common resolution that Steam users use by a significant margin. Steam is saying that 67.10% of users use that resolution, and the second most popular resolution is 2560x1440 with only 11.48% of Steam users using it, so yeah.
Well, it's great that they did that. I guess people scaling 240p to 1080p would explain why most of the screenshots I can see online (including those earlier in this thread) all still have the uneven scaling. I have actually since noticed that the rotation on the PC version appears to be pixel accurate where as on the PS4 version it just angles the sprites (so the squares of the pixels are diagonal).

I agree then that it's very much a shame this wasn't also done in the console ports, it does show a lack of love compared with the original developers. I still think it should be stressed though that it doesn't ruin the game and you only start to notice this stuff when you look very closely. I was a little put off as I thought this would be some shimmer-y hell hole, but actually it's hardly noticeble.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

Picked this up in the Fantatical sale on PC for about £7.50, bargain.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

Fired the game up and it starts at 1080p with a 4K native. If you disable Fullscreen Optimisations on the .exe it seems to run at native although I can't be sure if it's just the driver upscaling 1080p to 4K. Here's the output

https://i.imgur.com/y4jHuXE.png
heli

Post by heli »

Just take a look to stage 2 boss.
Look to the square rotating polygon bullets, they are full HD.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Is the PS4 version now at least on par with the PC version visually? It's on sale atm.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

It’s on sale now? I was gonna save it for my birthday…
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Lol are you 10 years old?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Jonpachi wrote:Lol are you 10 years old?
No. I'm not. But if that's the case, Andro Dunos 2 being on sale today, looks like Gunvein will be my birthday game instead. The sale lasts until the 22nd, right?
Steven

Post by Steven »

My 3DS copy of this and the Dreamcast version of the original Andro Dunos finally arrived today. Still no Dreamcast Andro Dunos II for some reason.

I have not played the 3DS version of II yet, but I tried the Dreamcast version of the original and the sound emulation is broken. No autofire, either, so have fun with that. All they did was throw the Neo Geo ROM into a shitty emulator and call it good. It's running in AES mode and I don't think there is a way to change to MVS mode, so if you want MVS mode, too bad. Avoid.

lol the back of the case for the 3DS version says it has "Flexible and efficient gameplay", whatever that means.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Still no Dreamcast Andro Dunos II for some reason.

Thank you for the reminder. I was waiting for the DC version, but then decided it was never going to be released, and I was just going to grab it on Switch or whatever. But then, I forgot about it in it's entirety.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Andro Dunos II for sale in steam in a really good price. Does anyone knows how it compares with Infinos Gaiden?
I just got to know the game has weapon switch buttons mapped to r1 and l1 so it was designed with pads in mind I guess. Still unsure about this.

Steven wrote:My 3DS copy of this and the Dreamcast version of the original Andro Dunos finally arrived today. Still no Dreamcast Andro Dunos II for some reason.

I have not played the 3DS version of II yet, but I tried the Dreamcast version of the original and the sound emulation is broken. No autofire, either, so have fun with that. All they did was throw the Neo Geo ROM into a shitty emulator and call it good. It's running in AES mode and I don't think there is a way to change to MVS mode, so if you want MVS mode, too bad. Avoid.

lol the back of the case for the 3DS version says it has "Flexible and efficient gameplay", whatever that means.
Dreamcast has emulation of Neo Geo CD. Seems a good alternative to play Andro Dunos 1 than this version you got.

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
Steven

Post by Steven »

It's pretty good on PC! Not sure about the other systems, but the PC version is the only one that was actually made by the real developers; the rest are all made by some outside people, so if you want the real version, get the PC version.
Leandro wrote:Andro Dunos II for sale in steam in a really good price. Does anyone knows how it compares with Infinos Gaiden?
Pretty well, actually. Infinos Gaiden gets massive bonus points for having Tsukumo Hyakutaro do the music.
Leandro wrote:Dreamcast has emulation of Neo Geo CD. Seems a good alternative to play Andro Dunos 1 than this version you got.
I have it on AES.
Last edited by Steven on Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

AND PC version is currently 60% off!

Edit: whoops, should have scrolled upwards...
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Leandro wrote:Andro Dunos II for sale in steam in a really good price. Does anyone knows how it compares with Infinos Gaiden?
I think Andro Dunos 2 is a much better game, but I tend to value production quality and aesthetic coherence more than most players.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote:It's pretty good on PC! Not sure about the other systems, but the PC version is the only one that was actually made by the real developers; the rest are all made by some outside people, so if you want the real version, get the PC version.
Damn, really? Whoever was in charge of the PS4 port is peeps I hope get more work, it plays absolutely beautifully. I'd assumed it was straight from Picorinne themselves. (re: Andro Dunos II)
Steven

Post by Steven »

The Picorinne guys don't know how to code, so they make their STGs with a tool, although I forget which one it is. This is why they don't do multiplayer, online leaderboards, or video options like forcing integer scaling in fullscreen, as the tool doesn't support any of that. Native resolution on Andro Dunos II is 320x240, so if you use a 1080 vertical resolution you will have a distorted image with shimmering due to incorrect scaling.

I think the tool also only supports Windows, so they get someone else (PixelHeart/JoshProd, in this case) to do the console versions for them.