Need Input - Hardest Saturn Shmups Standard Run

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jonpachi

Re: Need Input - Hardest Saturn Shmups Standard Run

Post by Jonpachi »

I've been playing Slap Fight MD on the Megadrive Mini, and it's quite a chore since the whole point is to get your ship to be as HUGE as possible. By the time you're powered-up it feels impossible to not take damage. Maybe not the toughest, but a genuinely weird premise that takes some time to understand and master.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Of course Planet Joker was a joke lol.

As for your PCE list, Legion should really be included.
Basically memorize every single enemy position in the game or your dead. XD

As for MD, Divine Sealing is just so terribly designed that I'd give it a mention. Lol.
ShmupJunkie

Post by ShmupJunkie »

Jonpachi wrote:I've been playing Slap Fight MD on the Megadrive Mini, and it's quite a chore since the whole point is to get your ship to be as HUGE as possible. By the time you're powered-up it feels impossible to not take damage. Maybe not the toughest, but a genuinely weird premise that takes some time to understand and master.
I've heard that Slap Fight on higher difficulties or loops is nuts, but only hearsay from stuff I've read here on and off. I will take a look at it later today watch a couple vids. That's a MD game I've actually never played. I just finished Eliminate Down. Another one that I only played long ago and always heard how brutal it was. I wouldn't call it easy but
I just finished it and on Normal it wasn't near as tough as I expected. It's got nothing on the original RType TBH in that sense. Of course it was a fantastic game I really
enjoyed it... I just found the shield and small hitbox made it pretty forgiving.

The one game I know will live up to it's name is Air Buster, or at least I hope. It's tough as nails on the PCE.
Creating Shmup Content for the Masses
https://www.youtube.com/shmupjunkie
ShmupJunkie

Post by ShmupJunkie »

SuperDeadite wrote:Of course Planet Joker was a joke lol.

As for your PCE list, Legion should really be included.
Basically memorize every single enemy position in the game or your dead. XD

As for MD, Divine Sealing is just so terribly designed that I'd give it a mention. Lol.
Thanks for the suggestion on Divine Sealing as I've never even heard of that one. I can at least check it out now.

There were quite a few games on the PCE that I really wanted to include but it had so many brutal ones it was tough to pull any of the
other picks off. Between Aeroblasters which is hard af, Legion like you mentioned, and a couple others, I think I will end up doing
a second PCE video at some point. When you have 120 shooters it makes for a lot of choices :lol:

So far I have yet to play any on the MD that's compared in toughness to the original RType, Rayxanber II or Tatsujin. That last one would
be a pick on the MD for sure also if I didn't just do it. But Undeadline and ED went down easier than I was expecting. Maybe it just seems
that way after getting my ass kicked last week by Garegga and DDP haha.
Creating Shmup Content for the Masses
https://www.youtube.com/shmupjunkie