shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:22 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:16 pm 



Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 175
Location: Bournemouth
I've been a Saturn fan for a long time but have just got into the PlayStation.
I picked up a bunch of shooters recently (for far less than Harfmul Park costs) which included
G Darius
Einhander
Galaxian 3
Philosoma
Raycrisis
Raystorm
R-Type Delta
Sanvein
Shooting Collection 35
Starblade
Zanac X Zanac

Am I missing anything else notable aside from Gradius Gaiden?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:49 pm 



Joined: 13 Oct 2019
Posts: 8
Donpachi and Dodonpachi (and Harmful Park).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:59 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 12570
Location: Wherever.
In case you haven't already seen it, here is a not-quite-complete list of shmups on the system compiled by this forum a few years back.
_________________
"Fight me IRL if you want to man up so badly."
Glossary / Discussion / The Bizaar / Vasara HS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2015
Posts: 1184
Location: Indonesia
Konami arcade ports (Deluxe Pack) are mostly good too. There are:

Gokujou Parodius Da!
Detana Twinbee Yahho!
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus
Sexy Parodius
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
_________________
Image
CLEAR LIST | YouTube (WIP)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:50 pm 



Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 175
Location: Bournemouth
copy-paster wrote:
Konami arcade ports (Deluxe Pack) are mostly good too. There are:

Gokujou Parodius Da!
Detana Twinbee Yahho!
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus
Sexy Parodius
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius

I have all those on Saturn :D


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:59 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Posts: 475
Don't forget Thunderforce V as well.
_________________
1CC List


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:06 pm 



Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 175
Location: Bournemouth
BulletMagnet wrote:
In case you haven't already seen it, here is a not-quite-complete list of shmups on the system compiled by this forum a few years back.

Thanks, will check it out


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:49 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 265
Location: Autobot City, Sugiura Base
My best recommendation (and all of us might agree) is clearly Thunder Force V Perfect System.

Other PS1 shmups to play
- RayStorm
- Einhander
- Gradius Gaiden
- GekiOh Shooting King
- Raiden DX
_________________
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:29 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2005
Posts: 4499
Location: Berlin, Germany
Of those not mentioned:

Raiden Project and more importantly Raiden DX.

R-Types, Toaplan Shooting Battle, and Cotton Original.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:10 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Posts: 475
Sturmvogel Prime wrote:
My best recommendation (and all of us might agree) is clearly Thunder Force V Perfect System.

Other PS1 shmups to play
- RayStorm
- Einhander
- Gradius Gaiden
- GekiOh Shooting King
- Raiden DX


R-Type Delta gets my vote for best shmup on the PS1 but G. Darius and Thunderforce V are absolutely top tier as well.
_________________
1CC List


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2008
Posts: 2651
Location: Tokyo
I recommend going for G-Darius on PS2 via Taito memories if you have the means.

My current favorite PS1 shmup is Raiden DX by a long shot. I really hope we see an ACA release soon given the recent announcements.
_________________
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Image Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:02 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2015
Posts: 205
All my favourites have been mentioned, so I'll just reiterate DoDonPachi (I believe, though I'm not certain, that the PSX port is preferable to the Saturn one), Einhander, G Darius, Raiden DX. These games occupy most of my shmup-playing on the PS1, though there are obviously quite a few others. the Racketboy article has some nice blurbs to sell you on individual games.

Forgot Zanac X Zanac, which has already been mentioned. Embarrassing, honestly, since I've played it more than the rest combined.


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:33 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1828
Location: Germany, Berlin
I quite like the raiden titles on the PS1 in addition to the ones that you already have. R-Type Delta is not bad at all. I also have R-Types. These days I tend to use the PS1 to play DDP.

I never really liked the PS1 and pretty much used it to play Metal Slug back in the early 2000s and I still use the PS1 as an emulator for mostly NES/FC games. I never really liked the PS1 :D

Edit: indeed, Einhaender is well-worth playing - one of the few PS exclusives.
_________________
More Bromances = safer people


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:51 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2060
Location: Nebraska, USA
CIT wrote:
Of those not mentioned:

Raiden Project and more importantly Raiden DX.

R-Types, Toaplan Shooting Battle, and Cotton Original.


I was going to definitely second The Raiden Project. Both excellent ports of the 1st 2 games, and even include optional arranged soundtracks. R-Types is solid as well, compiling R-Type and its sequel, though if memory serves, the games run ever so slightly too fast, so they can be a bit tougher than the arcade originals, so the newer R-Type Dimensions releases on PS3/360, PC, PS4 and Switch might be the better option. Even so, it's still worth picking up for cheap.
_________________
"Playing a shmup with an analog stick is like trying to fill out the New York Times crossword with a can of spray paint." - Topher Cantler
YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Shoot the Core-cast Shmup Podcast


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:04 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2019
Posts: 184
Dont forget my favourite : space shot.
It is really cheap on ebay.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:35 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Posts: 3362
Location: Western-MA USA
Not shmups, but there are some other neat PS1 exclusives like Silent Bomber, Elemental Gearbolt, Vib Ribbon, and a cool tunnel shooter by square.. the name escapes me.
_________________
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:59 am 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 3760
chempop wrote:
Not shmups, but there are some other neat PS1 exclusives like Silent Bomber, Elemental Gearbolt, Vib Ribbon, and a cool tunnel shooter by square.. the name escapes me.


Internal Section [I.S.].

FRO wrote:
R-Types is solid as well, compiling R-Type and its sequel, though if memory serves, the games run ever so slightly too fast, so they can be a bit tougher than the arcade originals, so the newer R-Type Dimensions releases on PS3/360, PC, PS4 and Switch might be the better option.


R-Type Dimensions uses reverse-engineered Western ROM sets of the two included games. R-Types uses the original Japanese ROM sets ported by members of the original teams. In terms of overall authenticity, R-Types still has the most accurate ports of R-Type I and II.
_________________
"Amidst utter chaos lies strict order."
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:59 pm 



Joined: 13 Oct 2019
Posts: 8
Kiken wrote:
R-Type Dimensions uses reverse-engineered Western ROM sets of the two included games. R-Types uses the original Japanese ROM sets ported by members of the original teams. In terms of overall authenticity, R-Types still has the most accurate ports of R-Type I and II.


What's the difference between the Japanese and Western ROM sets?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:53 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2060
Location: Nebraska, USA
Ice Beam wrote:
Kiken wrote:
R-Type Dimensions uses reverse-engineered Western ROM sets of the two included games. R-Types uses the original Japanese ROM sets ported by members of the original teams. In terms of overall authenticity, R-Types still has the most accurate ports of R-Type I and II.


What's the difference between the Japanese and Western ROM sets?


I was wondering this as well. I do think Dimensions is a great way to play the games, because of all the options available, but I'm intrigued by the differences.
_________________
"Playing a shmup with an analog stick is like trying to fill out the New York Times crossword with a can of spray paint." - Topher Cantler
YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Shoot the Core-cast Shmup Podcast


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 3760
FRO wrote:
Ice Beam wrote:
Kiken wrote:
R-Type Dimensions uses reverse-engineered Western ROM sets of the two included games. R-Types uses the original Japanese ROM sets ported by members of the original teams. In terms of overall authenticity, R-Types still has the most accurate ports of R-Type I and II.


What's the difference between the Japanese and Western ROM sets?


I was wondering this as well. I do think Dimensions is a great way to play the games, because of all the options available, but I'm intrigued by the differences.


Here's a quick pair of examples from of R-Type II, stage 2:

At the beginning of the stage, there are sequences of enemies that move diagonally. In the Japanese ROM set these formations alternate between appearing from the right and the left. In the Western ROM set, the sequences strictly appear from the right.

Throughout the later half of the level, there are small legged enemies that traverse the lower surface of the level. In the Japanese ROM set, the large yellow fireballs that they shoot can be absorbed by the Force Pod. In the Western ROM, these same shots will plow straight through the Force Pod.

There are plenty of other differences between the ROM sets, but there's something specific in R-Type Dimensions due to how the coding was handled that results in odd Force Pod behavior when it is jettisoned.
_________________
"Amidst utter chaos lies strict order."
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 941
Location: Fairfax, VA
Kiken wrote:
There are plenty of other differences between the ROM sets, but there's something specific in R-Type Dimensions due to how the coding was handled that results in odd Force Pod behavior when it is jettisoned.


I'm not sure if this was an issue with the Western ROM set, but in R-Type Dimensions (R-Type 1), I've never been able to one-shot the stage 3 battleship boss. Quirks like that always put me off from taking Dimensions too seriously. Getting the quick kill on that boss is standard procedure for the arcade game and some of its ports (like the PCE versions).
_________________
YouTube | Twitch | Website | STG 1CC List


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 7225
heli wrote:
Dont forget my favourite : space shot.
It is really cheap on ebay.

Now, this is the kind of thing I keep coming back for to these forums.
_________________
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 1565
Location: Minnesota, USA
Check out Kyuiin if you like quirky games and fun SUCC based scoring system (you ride a vacuum)
_________________
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2060
Location: Nebraska, USA
Obiwanshinobi wrote:
heli wrote:
Dont forget my favourite : space shot.
It is really cheap on ebay.

Now, this is the kind of thing I keep coming back for to these forums.


I would say only seek out Space Shot if you can find it dirt cheap. It's not a good game, by any stretch, but can be fun to play in a "so bad it's good" sort of way. I had fun with it, but I can see how most serious players would want to avoid it, because it definitely falls into that kusoge category.
_________________
"Playing a shmup with an analog stick is like trying to fill out the New York Times crossword with a can of spray paint." - Topher Cantler
YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Shoot the Core-cast Shmup Podcast


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2005
Posts: 2442
Location: Wigan, England.
DazTM wrote:
copy-paster wrote:
Konami arcade ports (Deluxe Pack) are mostly good too. There are:

Gokujou Parodius Da!
Detana Twinbee Yahho!
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus
Sexy Parodius
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius

I have all those on Saturn :D


Is that still my old Skeleton Saturn? God how long ago did I sell that now!?
_________________
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 941
Location: Fairfax, VA
FRO wrote:
Obiwanshinobi wrote:
heli wrote:
Dont forget my favourite : space shot.
It is really cheap on ebay.

Now, this is the kind of thing I keep coming back for to these forums.


I would say only seek out Space Shot if you can find it dirt cheap. It's not a good game, by any stretch, but can be fun to play in a "so bad it's good" sort of way. I had fun with it, but I can see how most serious players would want to avoid it, because it definitely falls into that kusoge category.


I don't know. I used to hate the game, but dived into learning how to actually score with its boost mechanic (or whatever), and it became a lot of fun. For the price I'd say it's definitely worth messing with. If you try to play it like a classic shmup, it's boring, but when you're slamming into stuff left and right with the boost, it's pretty fun.
_________________
YouTube | Twitch | Website | STG 1CC List


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:51 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 7225
Sonic Wings Special for either PSX or Saturn was pretty good value for the price I payed (Saturn version here, having played PSX one burnt before, a lot). It's like proto-Castle Shikigami 2 in terms of sheer number and variety of planes, and I dream of playing its co-op with someone equally interested as I am in experimenting with various weapon combos. To my knowledge it also is the only consoles-only shmup with tate. Super-threatening boss music themes as well.
_________________
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:48 am 



Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 175
Location: Bournemouth
Marc wrote:
DazTM wrote:
copy-paster wrote:
Konami arcade ports (Deluxe Pack) are mostly good too. There are:

Gokujou Parodius Da!
Detana Twinbee Yahho!
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus
Sexy Parodius
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius

I have all those on Saturn :D


Is that still my old Skeleton Saturn? God how long ago did I sell that now!?

Yes mate. I still have it. About 16 years ago I reckon.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 3760
Obiwanshinobi wrote:
Sonic Wings Special for either PSX or Saturn was pretty good value for the price I payed (Saturn version here, having played PSX one burnt before, a lot). To my knowledge it also is the only consoles-only shmup with tate.


See also Bullet Soul and Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst.
_________________
"Amidst utter chaos lies strict order."
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:07 pm 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7877
Psikyo released both Strikers 1945 & Strikers 1945 II for the JPN PSX as well. I have both games and they do offer tate as well.

The interesting thing about the PSX version of S-1945 II is that it came with a 5,800 yen price tag and was the very last copy at a Japanese game shop when I saw it for sale back in March of 2000. Paid the asking price + the usual tax = well worth it just to be able to play it on the PS One platform nowadays.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SuperDeadite and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group