Help with the old x.x games?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
endali

Help with the old x.x games?

Post by endali »

Does anyone here have any advice on how to run the old x.x games on a modern pc? Blue Wish, Green Wind, Eden's Edge. Windows 10? Fullscreen? I'm getting like zero google results, the options menus are literally just question marks ???????? and I feel like no one else on the internet has ever tried to do this lol. Also first post hi guys.
Krushal

Re: Help with the old x.x games?

Post by Krushal »

-snip-

EDIT: Just tested with Green Wind. Yeah, program only displays on a small portion of the screen. By trying the "compatibility troubleshooter", I was able to get a slightly larger display area, but with ugly scaling. Maybe play around with those options (right-click on .exe, compatibility tab).

EDIT 2: Also, found this thread (in French), which links to DxWnd software, that might help.
Free indie/doujin STGs: Download | List (incomplete)
yosai

Post by yosai »

You could always try using the XP mode.

https://www.download3k.com/articles/How ... er-V-00770
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

It's unlikely DxWnd will help in the case of Blue Wish/Green Wind. The problem with these games is they're hand-coded for a specific resolution (240x320/200x256* respectively) which is smaller than the initial resolution for the engine (640x480). That's why they end up using only a part of the screen even if the display is scaled. Trying to increase the game resolution breaks it and decreasing the engine resolution doesn't work at all. I guess you could outright magnify the screen if you're really desperate.

All of the games run easily for me anyway. Eden's Edge intermittently decides to run at 50fps fullscreen but it's been doing that to me forever; I avoid it with a DxWnd setup (DirectX(2) -> force vsync off, Timing -> limit on + delay 17).

*Edited, had them the wrong way around, you know what I mean anyway