Rigid Force Redux (Switch, XBO)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
kid aphex

Rigid Force Redux (Switch, XBO)

Post by kid aphex »

https://youtu.be/4k7QpPZZEbU

Just got released on Switch and Xbox.
Well polished game. Great soundtrack.

Looks like a re-release of Rigid Force Alpha?
Maybe they did some tweaks besides the porting ...
xxx1993

Re: Rigid Force Redux (Switch, XBO)

Post by xxx1993 »

For starters, they got rid of Psye's ugly disembodied CGI head look and gave her a more anime-like design.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I haven't put a ton of time into it yet, but I bought it, and probably have a couple hours in. I think it's solid so far. I do wish the Switch version allowed for you to change the button mapping. I didn't find a way to do that in the menus. It's pretty obvious the game was designed to be played on pad (or with Joy-Con), because of the way the controls are set up for maneuvering the gun pods back and forth. Playing stick, the buttons for that functionality are backwards, so I have to remember that right is left, and left is right, and just deal with it for now. Overall, I'm enjoying it.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

For those who hadn't noticed, Rigid Force Redux is also available on PS4 now.

Only spent a bit of time with it so far (while I wait for all the R-Type Final 2 levels to drop) and am loving it a lot. Great modern-but old-school style hori that seems pretty well designed, as well as having a decent soundtrack and visuals. Plays a little bit like a Thunder Force game, which is high praise from me.

Oh, and it has immediate respawns after death, for those suffering from R-Type Final 2's checkpoint fatigue.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Got an eye on this for when I pick up my Intellivision Amico / funky doorstop later this year :D
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

This game puts rtype final 2 to shame.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

kid aphex wrote:This game puts rtype final 2 to shame.
Nah.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

This game looks pretty cool, but uh, no, it definitely does not "put R-Type Final 2 to shame".

Seems more like Hellfire than any R-Type or R-Type accessory anyway.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

The PC version of this game (Rigid Force Alpha) is awesome but the “Redux” console versions are severely gimped. They run on what seems to be a completely different engine than Alpha on PC. Choppy frame rates with simplified graphics and missing fx across all console versions. I recommend to anyone interested in this game to play Rigid Force ALPHA on PC. I’m not mainly a PC gamer and my rig is old. Even then it plays, runs and looks better.

P.S. Still not as good as R-Type Final 2 imo.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Can’t believe people find rtype final 2 even passable...
It’s an abortion.
Oh well.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Darkseed_5150 wrote:The PC version of this game (Rigid Force Alpha) is awesome but the “Redux” console versions are severely gimped. They run on what seems to be a completely different engine than Alpha on PC. Choppy frame rates with simplified graphics and missing fx across all console versions. I recommend to anyone interested in this game to play Rigid Force ALPHA on PC. I’m not mainly a PC gamer and my rig is old. Even then it plays, runs and looks better.

I am finding Redux on PS4 Pro to be fairy smooth and responsive, though admittedly I haven't played the PC Alpha version. Perhaps it has been patched since the PS4 release? I tend to be fairly forgiving on frame rates though, so I'm probably not the best person to judge the quality of the port. It is not especially deep a shmup, but I am having a lot of fun with it still.

P.S. Yep, R-Type Final 2 is a very good game (even with its flaws).
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Samildanach wrote:
Darkseed_5150 wrote:The PC version of this game (Rigid Force Alpha) is awesome but the “Redux” console versions are severely gimped. They run on what seems to be a completely different engine than Alpha on PC. Choppy frame rates with simplified graphics and missing fx across all console versions. I recommend to anyone interested in this game to play Rigid Force ALPHA on PC. I’m not mainly a PC gamer and my rig is old. Even then it plays, runs and looks better.

I am finding Redux on PS4 Pro to be fairy smooth and responsive, though admittedly I haven't played the PC Alpha version. Perhaps it has been patched since the PS4 release? I tend to be fairly forgiving on frame rates though, so I'm probably not the best person to judge the quality of the port. It is not especially deep a shmup, but I am having a lot of fun with it still.

P.S. Yep, R-Type Final 2 is a very good game (even with its flaws).
Actually the main reason I posted was because of the PS4 Pro version which I bought after seeing the post above saying its available on PS4.
Even on the Pro, the PS4 version looks and plays exactly like the Switch version in handheld. Obviously, the devs didn't optimize for Playstation at all. It was the first time I ever requested a refund from PSN. They refunded as a one time only deal so there goes that for any future mistakes haha.