Anyone still play Fraxy?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ASilver76

Anyone still play Fraxy?

Post by ASilver76 »

I'm just wondering, because with all the extra time to kill recently, due to...circumstances...I thought I'd take a dive into the deep end of the pool and plumb the depths of the vast library of user-created content.

The problem is, almost all of the once-extant Fraxy resources and repositories seem to have closed up shop years ago.

So I'm on he hunt. Suggestions regarding where to look for resources are most welcome. Likewise, any collections of creations would also be appreciated. Ideally, I'm trying to build a library that illustrates everything Fraxy (still) has to offer - from the biggest and baddest, to the most technically impressive, and everything in between. Casual fan, hardcore player, whatever. So long as it's good, I'd like to check it out.

All suggestions are welcome.
MrJBRPG

Re: Anyone still play Fraxy?

Post by MrJBRPG »

I used to play it, but have not for a long time, but I quickly found what you might be looking for.

http://fraxyhq.net/version/index.php
MathU

Post by MathU »

I never could figure out the right way to enjoy this game. :oops: It was temporarily neat to try out all the different boss creations people have made, but I always felt like a complete, directed experience comprising lots of specific creations and stages designed to function together was needed, and I never could figure out where to get that. Was there something I missed?
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

The point of Fraxy has always been "try to shoot down this thing I made". I remember some creations that stretch the structures and scripting and are closer to a "level" than to a boss, but they are still self-contained small challenges.
You shouldn't expect a "complete, directed experience" from a collection of puzzles and spectacles.
ASilver76

Post by ASilver76 »

Unfortunately, these days FraxyHQ seems to only contain archived versions of Fraxy. As for actual creations, not so much. I should have mentioned that this was one of the few sites I was able to find that was still functioning in some capacity. My bad.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

MathU wrote:I never could figure out the right way to enjoy this game. :oops: It was temporarily neat to try out all the different boss creations people have made, but I always felt like a complete, directed experience comprising lots of specific creations and stages designed to function together was needed, and I never could figure out where to get that. Was there something I missed?
I guess the right way to enjoy it was to spend a portion of time designing bosses yourself :P
Maybe play some Fraxy-inspired games which have that kind of complete structure

Tsurugi no Mai
Monolith (boss fights show the devs spent a ton of time learning boss fights in fraxy, solid and creative designs)
ZeroRanger