MUSHA (Aleste) magazine coverage, including VG&CE's review

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SharpX68K

MUSHA (Aleste) magazine coverage, including VG&CE's review

Post by SharpX68K »

Hey guys, I thought you might enjoy these. M.U.S.H.A. was one of my favorite Genesis games.

Video Games & Computer Entertainment

I had been looking for VG&CE's review of MUSHA for a long time. I bought the March 1991 issue and since I don't have my scanner hooked up, I took some photos, cropped them and put em together.
The part of this review I highlighted in a red box about the abyss in level 3 is what convinced me to buy this game at Babbage's in early '91 :-)

Electronic Gaming Monthly

I'm surprised EGM didn't have any fact-files or a review, but they made up for it with their coverage in Mega Play :mrgreen:

MEGA PLAY

Game Player's

GamePro

DieHard GameFan

Last edited by SharpX68K on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mero

Re: MUSHA (Aleste) magazine coverage, including VG&CE's revi

Post by Mero »

I remember it got a mention in the news section of Mean Machines back in the day, though I don't think they went on to later review it. Had a screenshot of the stage 2 boss I think.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Great stuff! Thanks for compiling all this.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
SharpX68K

Post by SharpX68K »

Jonpachi wrote:Great stuff! Thanks for compiling all this.
No problem.

DieHard Gamefan might be the magazine that had the most coverage of the Mega CD / Sega CD Aleste game (and his many titles).

Import Japanese preview, scores and full review.
U.S. preview, scores and full review
The Graveyard

GameFan - The Graveyard

Last edited by SharpX68K on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SharpX68K

Post by SharpX68K »

Mero wrote:I remember it got a mention in the news section of Mean Machines back in the day, though I don't think they went on to later review it. Had a screenshot of the stage 2 boss I think.
All I could find in Mean Machines magazine

However CVG had a preview and review.

FRO

Post by FRO »

Pretty sure I still have that issue of VG&CE with the original M.U.S.H.A. review, kicking around somewhere in my apartment :D

Thanks for scanning these, it's great to see this kind of coverage still available to reference, for those who aren't hoarders, like myself.
SharpX68K

Post by SharpX68K »

FRO wrote:Pretty sure I still have that issue of VG&CE with the original M.U.S.H.A. review, kicking around somewhere in my apartment :D

Thanks for scanning these, it's great to see this kind of coverage still available to reference, for those who aren't hoarders, like myself.
Yeah, this was the cover of that issue of VG&CE, for those that can't recall.

To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Good stuff from a simpler time.
JohnR1900

Post by JohnR1900 »

What an awesome game.
barth0lin0

Post by barth0lin0 »

i need this game ! Will probably get de japanese version :D
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

Here's a cleaner scan of those reviews for M.U.S.H.A and Aero Blasters

Last edited by OldSkoolShmuper on Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Wow. The infamous Sword of Sodan was rated higher than Aero Blasters and MUSHA. The latter two were from the same reviewer who admitted to being tired of shmups. The review for MUSHA sounds more favorable than the actual score.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

LOL, Sword of Sodan made 'Last Battle' on Genesis look like a master work of game design.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BrianC wrote:The latter two were from the same reviewer who admitted to being tired of shmups.
Some things never change, eh? :mrgreen:
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Sword of Sodan is like a parody of a video game from a Simpsons episode.

bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

That's not even the MD version, which was cut down from the Amiga "benchmark". That game was actually gawk-worthy.. in screenshots, before you ever saw it in motion.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I'm looking at that gif, sitting here mesmerized.

It simultaneously looks equally impressive and like absolute shit at the same exact time. Schrodinger's videogame.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Man, I remember a lot of the game magazines. Still have a collection of them in the garage. Looking at these seems like they were from a whole different world. Times have changed indeed. Thanks for potsng this.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

FRO wrote:Pretty sure I still have that issue of VG&CE with the original M.U.S.H.A. review, kicking around somewhere in my apartment :D

Yea you're telling me. I still have all my magazines from back then. Hundreds, maybe thousands. Wouldn't mind getting rid of some of them and only keeping the ones I really want. BTW, you still doing the monthly shmup game? Been out of the loop for a while.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Gamer707b wrote:

Yea you're telling me. I still have all my magazines from back then. Hundreds, maybe thousands. Wouldn't mind getting rid of some of them and only keeping the ones I really want. BTW, you still doing the monthly shmup game? Been out of the loop for a while.
They might be worth a fair bit, check price guides/recent completed sales before tossing anything. I was pretty shocked to see how much a pile of Gamefans are worth now. I used to have nearly every issue, too.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Gamer707b wrote:

I got rid of a massive collection years ago and, similarly, would like back a selection of favorites only. If you are indeed ready to unload some please let me know.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

bigbadboaz wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:

I got rid of a massive collection years ago and, similarly, would like back a selection of favorites only. If you are indeed ready to unload some please let me know.

Cool. What are you looking for? I mostly bought EGM and GamePro in the 90s .Also got Retro Gamer Magazine which is a UK magazine.. Also got some Dreamcast Magazines and just other random game magazines.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Taking to PM, thanks.
shilongzop

Post by shilongzop »

DieHard Gamefan might be the magazine that had the most coverage of the Mega CD / Sega CD Aleste game (and his many titles).