Cygni: All Guns Blazing

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
kid aphex

Cygni: All Guns Blazing

Post by kid aphex »

Check it out:

https://youtu.be/kJm08-MRnj0

Wdyt?

Personally, I am in love. The idea of a well-produced, fun-to-play, scrolling twin stick shooter gets me very, very enthused. Instantly looks more promising than the abortion that was Astebreed.

I’m in.
EmperorIng

Re: Cygni: All Guns Blazing

Post by EmperorIng »

Production values are certainly its biggest strength. It's hard to judge if they avoid the "Sine Mora" mistakes based sole on video alone.
I don't mind if a game is made that is emphatically not geared towards the shmups scene (no scoring system, non-standard campaign) if it gets the fundamentals right. I hope the screen shakes are more for trailer flair - ingame that'd need to be toned down.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

EmperorIng wrote:Production values are certainly its biggest strength. It's hard to judge if they avoid the "Sine Mora" mistakes based sole on video alone.
I don't mind if a game is made that is emphatically not geared towards the shmups scene (no scoring system, non-standard campaign) if it gets the fundamentals right. I hope the screen shakes are more for trailer flair - ingame that'd need to be toned down.
Totally agree. Sine Mora was pretty impressive production-wise, but played like trash.
I will say, though, that this early video of gameplay looks OK...

Optimistic.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Looks fast! I'd play it.
Miss me with that dull music though.
kid aphex wrote:Instantly looks more promising than the abortion that was Astebreed.

I’m in.
Glad I wasn't the only one that hated that game. lol
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Are you guys kidding me? Astebreed was a timeless classic...
stacks183

Post by stacks183 »

It looks like at certain times camera is angled to one side, then it switches to the other. Couple this with analog controls and you wouldn't know if you're flying up or diagonally. Graphics are certainly extremely impressive, but the gameplay itself looks like a weird cross of shmup and a twinstick shooter. Does not instill confidence.
qmish

Post by qmish »

xxx1993 wrote:Are you guys kidding me? Astebreed was a timeless classic...
Yeah :x

Sure, ain't as perfect as Ether Vapor was (now, ev is true masterpiece) but still... and implying that it's somehow as problematic as sinemora is insulting

But then again, some honestly like even sinemora, so nvm
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

i'm interested to see more from this game! i'm hoping that the gameplay can hold up to the visuals and presentation. it looks like a very pretty game and it'll be cool to have a new shmup with higher visual fidelity, especially if it brings more folks into the genre.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I had fun with Astebreed, though. In fact, I actually like it more than Ether Vapor. It has voice acting, Roy Becket is a lot more likable than Luca Earlgrey, and the boss battles are epic.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Presentation looks fine. Gameplay doesn't look like it'll beat something like Score Rush *yet*, as it's probably too early to make that judgement.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

stacks183 wrote:, but the gameplay itself looks like a weird cross of shmup and a twinstick shooter. Does not instill confidence.
Funny, that's exactly why I'm interested in it. Been playing shooters since I was 5, and am a total convert to analog control and twinstick shooters in general. Much more possibility, gameplay wise, and the controls work perfect if they're designed for the game from the ground up.
Neorebel

Post by Neorebel »

I don't like the way the gameplay looks but it sure is pretty. If it gets people in the door maybe it bodes well for devs bringing shmups to the new console though