Do people still play on TATE mode?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shatterhand

Do people still play on TATE mode?

Post by Shatterhand »

I am curious. With 16:9 LED tvs/monitors become the norm, do people still play on Vertical/Tate mode ?

Do the latest Steam PC games offer this option? Or is just something relegated to the past of PS1 / Sega Saturn games?
Klatrymadon

Re: Do people still play on TATE mode?

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, I still rotate my PC monitor for modern games and ports, just as much as the CRT - any vert worth its salt will offer at least a basic rotation option. I'm not sure why anyone would assume this was obsolete? Not everyone is playing on a 60" living room TV. :P
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I had a second 36 inch HDTV in permanent tate for years, and the only reason I don't still have it is because my new apartment is just too small.

Also tate mode on an undocked switch is so perfect!
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Yup, I have a wall mount for my tv that allows it to rotate into a vertical position for tate action.
heli

Post by heli »

You can only do this with a modern TV, not the old big ones.
So i wonder who does not play fullscreen these days ?
It is the opposite you thinking.

Be carefull that if your tv heats up,
you need to have a roster on the side also.
Else your tv will melt.

Very modern tvs dont even get hot, and i think it is safe to rotate even without roster.

LOL @ ACSeraph, your apartment is to small, tokio lol.
dark

Post by dark »

I had a vga monitor (lcd) that I used to put in tate all the time for my dreamcast shmups 8 years ago. It was a fun thing to do to get a little more fun out of the collection and see these beautiful games in full screen. Nowadays I can't be bothered. I have a big tv and playing stuff squished is probably still a larger picture than I used to get with my rotated vga monitor. I guess the resolution might be a little lower for the squished picture compared to the rotated full screen picture, but laziness wins out for me since I flip back and forth between tate and non-tate games all the time, and I'm not interested in having a second tv dedicated to tate stuff at the moment.
heli

Post by heli »

Yes but the pixxels are less.
So you always have nicer graphics with rotated screen.
Not downscaled, as supposed to.

I can understand if you have a tv up to the ceiling, its what folks have now a day.
They call a 32 inch tv "small", i think it is big.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Most recent PC games and decent quality console ports have TATE. Recently I only set up a TATE monitor if I want to practice something for an arcade version, to get a display and screen size similar to arcade. Smaller & bigger screen sizes have their own advantages but you have to get used to them.

Less screen estate doesnt mean the image needs to downscaled to fit on a yoko screen on most of these games. That's dependent on the native resolution of the game (like 240p for many arcade games). Most games have a 1:1 pixel scaling option so no detail is lost if wanted.
Last edited by Zaarock on Thu May 28, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Yes, I keep at 32" LCD in permanent TATE. They're so cheap now, that you can get a good one for under $200 and it's always nice to have a dedicated vert station.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
heli

Post by heli »

Some games are just better in tate, else you have scrolling sometimes, like sonic wings special.
FRO

Post by FRO »

For my living room gaming/streaming setup, I have a portrait monitor connected to my PC. When I'm playing a game on the TV, I have OBS running on the monitor for chat. When I play a tate shmup, and it's one I can determine the rotation direction, I play on the monitor. I'm waiting on a rolling monitor cart that will give me 360 degree rotation, so for older consoles that only tate counter-clockwise, I'll be able to play those on the monitor as well. I have an HDMI splitter that allows me to send 1 signal to this monitor, and another to my capture card, so I have the freedom to do that. That cart will make it even more convenient for me to do so. I've also thought about looking into an RGB mod for one of the CRT TVs I have, so I can look into a dual-output situation from either SCART or component, so I can pipe that into the TV, as well as to my OSSC, so for Saturn, PS1, etc. I can still play those games as intended, and have an "always tate" rotated CRT available. Would make some shmups from that era a lot nicer to play.
DDDP

Post by DDDP »

Yep. It's temporarily put away while I finish my basement walls, but I have a 27" Toshiba on it's own piece of furniture with easy access to the plugs. Usually I play the PS2 port of Daioujou on it but I have a number of other systems that can plug in to it, too.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

TATE is the way to play 8)
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Rarely.

I usually play using a portable system on the couch. 3DS does full speed emulation of the 16 bit stuff and under with save states. Select arcade games like Neogeo games also work through emulation.

The Switch has a bunch of stuff to play on it.

And then I have my arcade cabinet which has a 4:3 aspect ratio.

If I need to play a game in Tate I can rotate one of my desktop monitors, but honestly, the monitors are big enough that it doesn't seem necessary if you are sitting at the desk.
SAM

Post by SAM »

I would rotate my 27" Gaming Monitor to TATE position when I play Vertical shmups on it.

The reason why I do not have a bigger Monitor is because 27" is the largeist Gaming Monitor I could find.

BTW, playing DariusBurst on dual screens is great!!! 8)
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Austin

Post by Austin »

I'll rotate on a CRT, but with my LCD I am so close to the screen that I haven't felt the need to rotate lately (even though it is connected to a stand that supports it). At its current distance, if I rotate the LCD, I have to move my head to look up and down the screen, whereas if I don't rotate I can see the whole playfield at once.
Bawa

Post by Bawa »

When playing on the switch, Yoko it is (my flipgrip is on the way).
When playing on PC I used my monitor horizontally since it was such a hassle to flip it. However, I just got a monitor that can easily flip between horizontal and vertical and I felt the difference to be BRUTALLY GOOD when playin in Tate. I don’t think I can go back.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

SAM wrote:I would rotate my 27" Gaming Monitor to TATE position when I play Vertical shmups on it.

The reason why I do not have a bigger Monitor is because 27" is the largeist Gaming Monitor I could find.

BTW, playing DariusBurst on dual screens is great!!! 8)
Indeed.

I have two 27 inch monitors as well. DariusBurst on 54 inches of 32:9 real estate is glorious.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Yeah I have both a CRT and LCD permanently rotated.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

ACSeraph wrote:Also tate mode on an undocked switch is so perfect!
Yeah, I feel like the Switch + FlipGrip has made tate way more accessible to a lot of people. If anything, probably there are more people casually playing stuff in tate than ever before.

I'm still hoping to get a rotating setup for my TV, but I'm hunting for a decent wall mount option.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I use tate still for CRT and modern displays. I use an upscaler for the modern displays [1].
It is the best way to play for Shmups that support it I tend to find.

[1] https://videogameperfection.com/product ... converter/
More Bromances = safer people
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

Yes, it is a more enjoyable way to play vertical shooters in my opinion. I tate on a 40" Samsung LED, w/ a custom made stand and a awesome rotating mount I found on amazon about 8 years ago.

I also enjoy playing Pinball Arcade in tate mode, ya really get the feeling of standing infront of a pinball machine.

I own a Flip-Grip for Switch so I tate on that too.
davyK

Post by davyK »

For older consoles it's well worth playing TATE - Saturn, PS1/2. The Dreamcast Gunbird 2 port really should be played TATE. There tend to be compromises with image and scaling otherwise.

With 360 onwards the resolution means you are getting the proper game with no scaling issues - if your TV is big enough you don't really need to rotate - shmups fill the space with widgets and stage scores etc. But if the TV is smaller there's real benefit in rotating.

I have a 21" 4:3 CRT with RGB SCART perma-rotated for my Saturn,PS1/2,Dreamcast shmups. My PC widescreen monitor is mounted on a rotatable stand and some shmups benefit from rotating - Steam ports of Mushi, DFK,Raiden IV etc.

My 360 is connected to a 50" Sony and I don't feel the need to rotate though I need to sit close for shmups.
Neorebel

Post by Neorebel »

Can anyone recommend a tabletop stand for LCD monitors that is:

-Inexpensive
-Full 360 degree rotation capable
-Does not clip on the desk, rather it has a base that sits on the table
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I just got this.

It's shown with a clip, but also has grommet installation (you have to drill a hole)
Base is going to be tough, because it would have to be a pretty heavy base to keep from tipping over... If such a thing exists, I wouldn't want to pay the shipping on it
SAM

Post by SAM »

Neorebel wrote:Can anyone recommend a tabletop stand for LCD monitors that is:

-Inexpensive
-Full 360 degree rotation capable
-Does not clip on the desk, rather it has a base that sits on the table
I have a Dell 27" LCD Gaming Monitor (S2719DGF), which could rotate 90 Degree in clockwise and anti-clockwise directions, and it had a base that sits on the table.

I think 27" is the biggist LCD monitor you could get which could be mount on a rotatable base that sit on the table. By the way, the monitor is VESA mount, that means if you keep the stand, as long as you are buying another <=27" VESA mount LCD monitor it could be rotate likewise.

If you already owned a VESA mount LCD monitor, you could consider Dell Micro All-in-One Stand, which would allow your LCD monitor to rotate 90 Degree in clockwise and anti-clockwise directions.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Neorebel

Post by Neorebel »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:I just got this.

It's shown with a clip, but also has grommet installation (you have to drill a hole)
Base is going to be tough, because it would have to be a pretty heavy base to keep from tipping over... If such a thing exists, I wouldn't want to pay the shipping on it
I saw that one on Amazon - unfortunately drilling a hole won't work for this. I actually have a stand that fits my description, except it only tilts 90 degrees... the opposite direction it needs to go
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Computer-Fr ... B01FE2BCR8

I have one of these. It was recommended by someone else in a different topic here. Haven't gotten to use it yet since my wife has been working from home using the space where I would set it up lol. I have assembled it though and it's solid.
dark

Post by dark »

I just received a free dell 12 year old monitor and it came with a rotating stand that can rotate the monitor 90 degrees easily. It actually rotated the monitor in the wrong direction, but I was able to re-attach the monitor to the stand in such a way that it would rotate the way I wanted it to. I'd say this is a hugely easy way to do tate, particularly if you have an emulation setup. Dell monitors are pretty cheap, especially 10+ year old ones. The stand isn't this exact one, but its basically this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-CJC-DL-Mo ... 3778468084
Neorebel

Post by Neorebel »

Oh wow that VIVO one looks perfect! Also I didn't think of taking my existing stand apart and seeing if I could modify it to make it pivot either way. Thank you both!