Shmup IL's and Segmented Runs?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
XoPachi

Shmup IL's and Segmented Runs?

Post by XoPachi »

Everyone here is familiar with speedrunning. I'm sure you all can guess what individual level runs are. And segmented runs are a collaborative effort between expert players perfecting a chosen level. They then stitch their footage together and make the full run. Think Quake Done Quick.

Does this community do this from time to time with scoring?
Obviously segmented scoring runs aren't really too feasible online the way a segmented speed run works. If you're playing Sonic Advance 2, between Sky Canyon Zone and Techno Base Zone, you can just add up time between those levels and it'll be correct in-game time. You can't just add up score in most shmups due to the various "reserves" (multipliers, rank, etc) that need to carry over between levels for an accurate cumulative. I mean, you could for fun, I suppose but it's somewhat pointless.
But is it something that's done at meetups? In person, it's not hard to just gather some top players around an Armed Police Batrider setup and just pass the controller around after each level.

I've never been to any meets so I don't know what sorts of events folks hold there. It seems like it could be very interesting and quite fun even if just to watch.
I'd love to see a sort of "baton pass" event like this if we ever get another shooting event at GDQ.
Gus

Re: Shmup IL's and Segmented Runs?

Post by Gus »

I've been a big proponent of IL runs for a long time. Back in 2013 when I got my counterstop clear run of Futari 1.5 Ultra, I simply switched to grinding IL runs. It seemed a natural progression both due to the game's counterstop and the nature of the game's practice mode only giving you the option to do full stage runs with no savestates. In the end, I did combine my best replays into one vid, which I guess you could call a "segmented run." Granted, I'm now focused on full runs in the mode due to having found a workaround for the counterstop and many of the routes in the vid have since been improved upon, but I still keep track of my IL scores and it feels good when I hit a PB or am on pace for a PB in an IL run. Keeping track of IL runs helped motivate me to keep playing the mode and I would recommend other people try the same rather than diminishing methods of play outside of full runs.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

ILs could be a fun approach to tourneys - I don't normally participate in tournaments or other events because I honestly wouldn't put the time into learning a game every week, but I could spend a couple of hours one night grinding a level and be quite happy doing it. It is the kind of things that's really only viable on ports/emulation though, unless you stick to stage one. (of course that's the majority of players around here)
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Ketsui Death Label on DS has a team mode for up to 8 players where only one ship is played. The game cycles through the players in a preset order giving them about 30 or so seconds of play time each. It starts a countdown on the player who is about to lose control and the one who is about to take control before switching.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Gus wrote:I've been a big proponent of IL runs for a long time. Back in 2013 when I got my counterstop clear run of Futari 1.5 Ultra, I simply switched to grinding IL runs. It seemed a natural progression both due to the game's counterstop and the nature of the game's practice mode only giving you the option to do full stage runs with no savestates. In the end, I did combine my best replays into one vid, which I guess you could call a "segmented run." Granted, I'm now focused on full runs in the mode due to having found a workaround for the counterstop and many of the routes in the vid have since been improved upon, but I still keep track of my IL scores and it feels good when I hit a PB or am on pace for a PB in an IL run. Keeping track of IL runs helped motivate me to keep playing the mode and I would recommend other people try the same rather than diminishing methods of play outside of full runs.
I agree; I think Stage score attacks can be good ways to motivate people not only to practice but to work on their individual stage goals.

The Giga Wing*/Mars Matrix games have Score Attack modes where you play individual stages, but they actually change some of the scoring mechanics to compensate for playing only a single stage vs. six or seven arcade stages. It may not make you play exactly the same way, but the scoring fundamentals you build are largely the same anyway and it's a cool extra challenge for those willing to try it.

*not sure if Giga Wing Generations has any different mechanics for its stage Score Attacks; I haven't tried them out.