Psikyo games coming to Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Psikyo games coming to Steam

Post by BrianC »

Actually, I'm not sure 4 frames is bad for Strikers 1945 since I heard that original AC game may have that much lag.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

4 frames is perfectly playable. Shmups are generally not reflex based games, but anticipation/memorising based.
I once experimented with 10+ fps of input lag on my old lcd and i adjusted very well, though Psikyo games are notorious for their fast patterns later on, so 10 fps wouldn't be too glamorous :lol:
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

el_rika wrote:4 frames is perfectly playable. Shmups are generally not reflex based games, but anticipation/memorising based.
I once experimented with 10+ fps of input lag on my old lcd and i adjusted very well, though Psikyo games are notorious for their fast patterns later on, so 10 fps wouldn't be too glamorous :lol:
I can believe this, for Psikyo games at least. The first time I captured a 1cc of Gunbird 2 on Dreamcast (almost 20 years ago!), I was playing through the small, laggy capture preview window. :oops:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I agree four frames is playable, but is it accurate? V-sync off isn't always ideal either.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

el_rika wrote:4 frames is perfectly playable. Shmups are generally not reflex based games, but anticipation/memorising based.
Preach. I don't care about input lag unless I can notice a delay between when I push a button and when an action occurs. 1/15th of a second is not going to be noticeable.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

How many frames of lag does the Strikers 1945 pcb have?

Also, the review I watched said the port has 4 frames of lag with v-sync off on windows 7. It wasn't tested on windows 10 with v-sync on. I was under the (mistaken?) impression that windows 10 may actually have less lag in some cases.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

STRIKERS 1945 II now has a Steam page.
It's out on May 29th:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1279 ... S_1945_II/

So, 3 games in a single month. GUNBIRD on May 11th, Samurai Aces on May 20th, and STRIKERS 1945 II on May 29th.
Cool. They are coming out faster than what I expected.
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

FunktionJCB wrote:They are coming out faster than what I expected.
Quantity over quality.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Arthandas wrote:Quantity over quality.
Why over quality?
Not every game needs to have a deluxe re-release, full of additions and whatnot.

These are relatively "plain" ports? Yes indeed they are. But, from what I played of STRIKERS 1945, it looks and plays well, and that's all I ask for. The price tag reflects that, and they even added a few things compared to previous ports.
Outside of having to use alt+F4 to quit the game, I have no complaints.
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

Do you think they will make a conversion of Zero Gunner 2?
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Elaphe wrote:Do you think they will make a conversion of Zero Gunner 2?
So far, it hasn't been announced.
But, I would say there's a decent chance, considering they own the rights to it.

They formally announced:

Samurai Aces
Samurai Aces Episode II: TENGAI
Samurai Aces Episode III: SENGOKU CANNON
GUNBIRD
GUNBIRD 2
STRIKERS 1945
STRIKERS 1945 II
STRIKERS 1945 III
SOL DIVIDE -SWORD OF DARKNESS-
Dragon Blaze

but, they did say "and more" in the press release, so clearly this isn't the whole list, and more titles are planned.

They are probably tracking how the sales of the first batch go, to gauge interest in more ports.

Considering we are getting 4 titles (STRIKERS 1945, GUNBIRD, Samurai Aces, and STRIKERS 1945 II) in the space of 30 days, at this rate they will go through the announced titles at around mid-July, so in a month or so we may be hearing about more titles, if they are to continue this pace.

I too hope the Zero Gunner series is part of their planned titles. :wink:
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

GUNBIRD is out:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1261970/GUNBIRD/

I played it for a few minutes, and the port quality seems identical to the STRIKERS 1945 port.
If looks good, and plays good.

It keeps the same "problem" with the previous port, though: they forgot to add a quit button, so you have to use ALT+F4. :mrgreen:
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

FunktionJCB wrote:port quality seems identical to the STRIKERS 1945 port
I agree, another barebones release. Straight arcade port with stripped extras (like the gallery). No wonder they're releasing new port every week...

Once again, MAME version is superior which makes this release pointless.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Arthandas wrote:
FunktionJCB wrote:port quality seems identical to the STRIKERS 1945 port
I agree, another barebones release. Straight arcade port with stripped extras (like the gallery). No wonder they're releasing new port every week...

Once again, MAME version is superior which makes this release pointless.
I really don't understand this logic.

First of all, "stripped extras"?
What stripped extras? You mean it doesn't have the fan art gallery from the Saturn/Playstation releases?
Really, are we "crying" about a few artwork pieces, that were basically added to a 90's console port to justify charging a much higher price-tag?

And do tell me, when playing in MAME, do you have these extras?

Also, MAME is great, but it's sadly a necessity for most games, since they are no longer sold, and we have no other way to get a "legit" copy.
But, when there's a legit release available like this one, advocating not buying it, and instead using MAME, is really shitty to the developers.

A lot of Arcade games aren't released on PC, because some developers have this idea that people use MAME, and no one would buy them, they would just pirate them.
So, PC gamers keep asking for arcade ports (I know I do).

It's a bit disappointing that, when these games do make it to the PC, in an affordable, and very competent arcade port (yes, it has minimal extras, but it does have online leaderboards, and achievements, and in a shmup I would take leaderboards over a fan art gallery any day), I see people advocating not paying for it, and using an emulator instead.

I'll spare you the trouble of complaining about the upcoming titles: yes, these will be affordable, competent, good looking and good sounding ports of the arcade versions of these games.
No, they won't include art gallery and other stuff that might have been included in some home ports. And no, besides online leaderboards, and achievements, they won't be adding new modes or anything (do you really expect an 8€ port of a 90's shmup to have new extensive modes added, or new content)?

I wish fellow PC gamers would be more excited about having classic shmups legally available on PC, instead of all the complaints about Steam, or talks about not buying the ports, because they'll be using MAME instead.
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

This is like the 3rd or 4th re-release of this game and instead of adding new features or modernizing the port it actually offers LESS than the FIRST arcade version emulated in MAME. It has more input lag, it doesn't support perfect pixel scaling, no save states and it lacks the gallery which was present in console releases (it doesn't matter how big a feature it is, it makes no sense for a newer re-release to offer less extras than the older one). This is just a quick lazy port and unlike you I'm not a sheep happy to buy it JUST because someone slapped it together on Steam (after 26 years lol).

If you want me to buy and support your port, make it better OR AT LEAST ON PAR with currently emulated version. Personally, I would be happy if they just released the original rom for anyone to legally obtain, that's all they have to do really.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Does the Gunbird port use an 'arrange' soundtrack, by the way? The instrumentation (though not the composition) sounds quite different from the PCB to my ears, and, looking at videos of the Switch port, this goes for Gunbird 2 as well, which sounds pretty shrill compared to the DC version. The sound is fantastic here, though!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Still no lag test for the PCB or tests of the PC version in windows 10 with v-sync on.
qmish

Post by qmish »

are we crying
Screw you, asshole :evil:

People like you are worst, you don't care about preservation on covers, booklets, flyers, magazines, art books, arrange osts etc. Nah, folks like you were the ones who just cared about spreading some shitty rom/ISO of a game without giving shit about all other cultural stuff that also must not be lost in time and a space.

Thanks god not every publisher is like you and we re getting stuff like snk 30th Anniv that document history and provide insights and archive materials or m2 releases with tons of functional.

Also wtf with your "acceptance of slave" logic that goes defense into "hurr durr you don't have cool features in mame" so you try to justify lack of replays, training, enchanted interface etc. by that. Ah right, I forget that it's game industry where companies can pee in face of customers and still get happy $ in return.

Miserable.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

qmish wrote:
are we crying
Screw you, asshole :evil:

People like you are worst, you don't care about preservation on covers, booklets, flyers, magazines, art books, arrange osts etc. Nah, folks like you were the ones who just cared about spreading some shitty rom/ISO of a game without giving shit about all other cultural stuff that also must not be lost in time and a space.

Thanks god not every publisher is like you and we re getting stuff like snk 30th Anniv that document history and provide insights and archive materials or m2 releases with tons of functional.

Also wtf with your "acceptance of slave" logic that goes defense into "hurr durr you don't have cool features in mame" so you try to justify lack of replays, training, enchanted interface etc. by that. Ah right, I forget that it's game industry where companies can pee in face of customers and still get happy $ in return.

Miserable.
You seem to have some anger issues. :roll:
You'd best direct it to the nearest wall or something, instead of throwing insults at someone you don't know.

And, you should increase your reading comprehension a little bit.
Who mentioned anything about covers, booklets, (...)? I mentioned the loss of a gallery of fan illustrations, as being, compared to the actual presentation of the game, unimportant.
Get a grip. You can find that video with fan artwork after a few seconds of searching.

Not every release has to be a 20-30€ "deluxe edition", filled with extras and additional modes.
These ports have the arcade games as they were, with a few additional extras on top of the last wave of Switch ports (online leaderboards, achievements, additional options, ...).
And, the affordable price tag reflects that.

I'm not getting it: the Switch ports had less than what's on these PC versions, with additional input lag.
Did everyone go "berserk" at the time they launched because they were missing that fan artwork gallery, or didn't have a lot of additional modes on each release?
Or, people just have a lot more tolerance when it's a console release, especially a physical one, compared to a PC, digital-only release?

On top of that, I'm not justifying, as you called it, "hurr durr you don't have cool features in mame".
On the contrary, I see several people, you included, trying to justify not buying these games, and continuing to use MAME ROMS.
These could have been perfect. And include that gallery. You still wouldn't buy them, and would simply find something else to complain about.

So yeah, have a great day.
Get some fresh air or something. It would do you good.
qmish

Post by qmish »

On the contrary, I see a several people, you included, trying to justify not buying these games, and continuing to use MAME ROMS.
Where did i say "please don't buy" or something like that :roll: You seem to over-generalize people even more than me, lol. Also taking "it's holy cow, don't criticize" stance.
I mentioned the loss of a gallery of fan illustrations, as being, compared to the actual presentation of the game, unimportant.
Get a grip.
Rule 101: you don't "decide what's important or what not". Otherwise some one guy will consider that gallery is not important, another one will not consider music, and third one doesnt care about booklet... More understandable would be an explanation from you that it's fan art and not official artworks (that was in sengoku blade saturn port) so such omake is unlikely for re-release, or that nobody have high-res originals after Psikyo closed. That would be good explanation, and not just "meh, who cares" attitude.

And don't even get started about freaking fragility of things that we all lost forever cause they were obscure small stuff like 20 copies comiket book or cd that came with famitsu issue once so it is lost forever unless lucky person ever find out it ever existed. Also fansites about games being closed with info and guides lost - hurts wnen ya know it existed but u ll never even find on auctions or shit
You still wouldn't buy them, and would simply find something else to complain about.
Acting like it's only those who haven't bought who complain /facepalm
Get some fresh air or something.
F--king quarantine, dude. :|

p.s.
Also, wtf. I bought Raiden V and Vasara day one, when they didnt have any discount (and on sales i at least try to gift shmups that i already have to friends). And it was preorder or day0 when Game Tengoku reached steam as well. So y'dont just accuse me of sticking to mame :mrgreen:
You seem to have some anger issues
Just can't stand ignorance (otherwise, surely i m kindest person here, in all other cases ^_^ ). Unless you say that it's me who ignorant? :? Or, am i entitled for pointing at lack of replays and stage training... horrible.
Gmegbln

Post by Gmegbln »

Unfortunately, I think the reality is if these releases had more effort put into them, then the cost of development would go up, and then these releases wouldn't exist at all since they'd barely be profitable if at all. In that sense, I'm ok with there being barebones, but legal and cheap(ish) ways of playing a game on the market for the average person to come along and toss some money at (even though I personally am passing on them).

The value proposition isn't that great though compared to SEGA AGES, or even the Hamster releases. I might jump in if they have a bundle sale down the line with other Psikyo shooters, like the Switch collections maybe.
Shottriggers on PC please :(
Kumasan

Post by Kumasan »

Jesus for 10 bucks some of these guys want City Connection to give them a hand job while they play too.

The ports are fine and they have TATE, remappable buttons and online leaderboards. Fuck a useless gallery and sound test.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

This is one dark thread, I only wanted to read about Strikers 1945 III :roll: :lol:
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Flashman wrote:This is one dark thread
Indeed. :)
I'm still not sure why.

I, for one, am happy that these titles are being released on Steam, and even more so that they are good ports, that don't suffer from the problems users reported with the Switch versions.

I've been having a lot of fun with the first two titles released, and I'm looking forward to the next two launching this month.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

FunktionJCB wrote:
Flashman wrote:This is one dark thread
Indeed. :)
I'm still not sure why.

I, for one, am happy that these titles are being released on Steam, and even more so that they are good ports, that don't suffer from the problems users reported with the Switch versions.

I've been having a lot of fun with the first two titles released, and I'm looking forward to the next two launching this month.
Exactly, these things are 10 bucks, all I'm worried about at that price is if they play with no significant lag.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Flashman wrote:Exactly, these things are 10 bucks, all I'm worried about at that price is if they play with no significant lag.
They do.

And, there's even a small "bonus", in the sense that the tracks are included as ogg files in the data\BGM folder, so you can listen to the soundtrack outside of the game. :wink:
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Considering this supposed to be a collective of people who love the genre, it saddens me a little to see every release greeted with such negativity. Obviously aficionados have higher standards but surely most must recognise the positive aspects of mainstream classic shmup releases. I'm certainly getting these as and when they're released - regardless of whether I already play them on MAME or some other platform.

Oh sorry - what I meant to say was "STEAM DRM IS EVIL WHAT'S THE INPUT LAG LAZY DEVS" etc etc etc...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Input Lag Matters™, tbh.

But everything else can fuck itself, imho. I don't mean to sound contemptuous :oops: all respect to ShotTriggers arrange content. But all I really want is the arcade game, running 99.9% perfectly (60hz console vs ~55hz PCBs will haunt us eternally), on a stable platform. Got tons of PS1/Saturn/PS2/DC ports chock-full of bonuses, but they also tend to have significant inaccuracies and load times, making them more alt. versions in my eyes.

Arcade Archives is a fine benchmark. No appreciable lag (on PS4, at least... I hear they've had trouble with the Switch, but I steer clear of that console WRT Hard Gayming), extensive button config, pixel-perfect scaling with filters strictly optional, and a competition mode that insta-skullfucks your run if you so much as pause the game. Also you can set a savestate in the "casual" mode for EZ practice of tough bits, before playing 4 REAL in competition. That's enough for many hundreds of hours of happy hardcore.

M2's upcoming Toaplan stuff is my most anticipated of the year (next year?), if it follows suit I'll be happy as a motherfucking clam. Much the same if these ever get PS4 ports. If they're laggy though, that's no fn' good! But I am hopeful!
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Yeah, that's fair dude - no-one wants input lag!