Psikyo games coming to Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ice Beam

Psikyo games coming to Steam

Post by Ice Beam »

EDIT: Changed subject title

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1261 ... KERS_1945/

It's being published by City Connection, who published the PC port of Psyvariar Delta.

They also have plans to bring other Psikyo shmups to Steam:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/04/striker ... -to-follow
Last edited by Ice Beam on Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verticen

Re: Strikers 1945 coming to Steam 30 April

Post by Verticen »

City Connection also published the US releases of Psikyo Shooting Stars alpha/bravo - which were just the ZeroDiv ports, so this is probably going to be a ZeroDiv port too. I'd figure that they'll end up releasing most of the Psikyo shmups to Steam eventually if they're doing this. The best thing that could come out of this being on Steam is that we might final have a legal way to obtain the roms and play them in Shmupmame or ShmupArch - The ZeroDiv ports' emulation input lag is awful.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

According to a press release on their website:

https://psikyo-portal.com/pressrelease_200422.html

They are soon releasing on Steam:

Samurai Aces
Samurai Aces Episode II: TENGAI
Samurai Aces Episode III: SENGOKU CANNON
GUNBIRD
GUNBIRD 2
STRIKERS 1945 II
STRIKERS 1945 III
SOL DIVIDE -SWORD OF DARKNESS-
Dragon Blaze
and more

GUNBIRD is next, out on May 11th, and it already has a Steam page up:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1261970/GUNBIRD/
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

Verticen, that's my fear as well.

Someone asked about the lag on the Steam forums, and City Connection responded:
Thanks for posting.
First, I would like to inform you that there is no delay on the program.
However, depending on your devices, there may inevitably be a slight delay that depends on your monitor or gamepad.
One thing I can say is that updating the gamepad's firmware may improve it.
The team of Psyvariar is also working with us to develop and validate it.
I assume "no delay on the program" means it won't have the Switch lag. I'm guessing this was machine translated from Japanese.
MathU

Re: Psikyo games coming to Steam

Post by MathU »

Will there be DRM-free releases at some point? I'm keeping my money and sticking to MAME until I see one. Or they could just cut the nonsense already and sell some ROM licenses. :wink:
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Domino

Post by Domino »

MathU wrote:Will there be DRM-free releases at some point? I'm keeping my money and sticking to MAME until I see one. Or they could just cut the nonsense already and sell some ROM licenses. :wink:
And we are getting sick of tired of your DRM-free posts. :roll:
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Domino wrote:And we are getting sick of tired of your DRM-free posts. :roll:
Indeed.

Any time there's a post about a Steam release, here it comes a comment about pirating/emulating a game instead, or at least skipping it, because it isn't DRM-free.

We know. We get it. You don't like Steam, MathU.
But, do you need to come to every post you see mentioning Steam, or PC, and post the same crap over and over?

Also, considering GOG couldn't care less about the genre, and refuses most publishers that went to them about shmups, what are you seriously expecting?
Are you seriously expecting Japanese companies to start releasing their games on itch.io?

Funnily enough, there's plenty of games on Steam that are actually DRM-free, since you can run them without launching the client after you download it
jedinat

Post by jedinat »

FunktionJCB wrote:Funnily enough, there's plenty of games on Steam that are actually DRM-free, since you can run them without launching the client after you download it
But that would require selling your soul by downloading the Steam in the first place!

I don't buy games on GoG because they are DRM-free. The whole point of paying for a game is that you're getting something you can't get without money. I can download DRM-free crap all day long without issue. (I hope this is triggering someone) But GoG stuff also tends to be outdated compared to Steam versions.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Every time I dip my toe back into the forum I'm reminded that I still can't ignore the same idiots that annoyed me last time. And then there are some new ones too!
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

This is fantastic news! I hope there will be nothing wrong with the ports, especially the pixel perfect scaling.
MathU

Post by MathU »

FunktionJCB wrote:But, do you need to come to every post you see mentioning Steam, or PC, and post the same crap over and over?
Sadly, the menace of DRM has steady encroached further and further into this genre in recent years as its fans, desperate to buy things and "revive" the genre, have dropped their standards to the floor. It's very important that observers looking in on the scrolling shooter fan community do not get the impression that it's composed entirely of DRM apologists without the self-respect to reject or even criticize anti-consumer practices.
Domino

Post by Domino »

MathU wrote:
FunktionJCB wrote:But, do you need to come to every post you see mentioning Steam, or PC, and post the same crap over and over?
Sadly, the menace of DRM has steady encroached further and further into this genre in recent years as its fans, desperate to buy things and "revive" the genre, have dropped their standards to the floor. It's very important that observers looking in on the scrolling shooter fan community do not get the impression that it's composed entirely of DRM apologists without the self-respect to reject or even criticize anti-consumer practices.
No, you are being an autistic fuck for spamming the same fucking shit for years and we are sick of it.

It is only you who are being an autistic about it, but barely anyone cares about it here on Shmups. You should known by now that if it is on Steam it will most likely have DRM. Almost all of us accepted Steam for what it is, the market likes Steam. Go complain to GOG if they will allow more Shmups on their site, or buy the Doujin CDs from your overprice site where Hentai is pricey.

And you also being an asshole about the ROMs. Hey, maybe sometimes it is nice to get the games legally, right? City Connection is brining out some stuff on Android, and it isn't half bad. I can dig it.
MathU

Post by MathU »

You seem quite defensive about this.
Domino wrote:And you also being an asshole about the ROMs.
And what, excuse me? I literally concurred with another poster that selling licenses to ROMs would be cool.
Domino

Post by Domino »

MathU wrote:You seem quite defensive about this.
Domino wrote:And you also being an asshole about the ROMs.
And what, excuse me? I literally concurred with another poster that selling licenses to ROMs would be cool.
Not being defensive, but more getting sick of you posting the same thing when you should connect the dots. You should avoid Steam at all cost, get your Doujin CDs or harass GOG or another Game Service who sell DRM-Free Games. You don't have to keep repeating the same question for years.

Yes, but you also said I'll play on MAME.
MathU

Post by MathU »

I'm not quite sure why you presume I don't already do those things. One doesn't preclude the other.
Domino

Post by Domino »

MathU wrote:I'm not quite sure why you presume I don't already do those things. One doesn't preclude the other.
And one doesn't go spamming the same things for years. Stop being an autistic about it and learn to do your own research. At this point you know where the industry is heading, and also you know the Japanese Developers aren't the biggest fan of DRM-free platforms. Learn to deal with it or stop complaining.

If I was a game developer, I would prefer a DRM platform.

Anyhoo, back to the thread.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Domino wrote:Learn to deal with it or stop complaining.
Oh but I am, and this is one of the ways I deal with it. Can you handle the criticism?
And you would be opposing what is at this point a massive body of evidence demonstrating that a) unauthorized copies are not lost sales and b) DRM is ineffective. Is that worth disrespecting your paying customers and losing sales at the same time to people who won't tolerate it?

And by the way, "spamming"? Please. I usually make one measly post and get ignored. It's typically only when people like you take massive personal affront that someone else might not have the same standards as yourself that any of these advertising threads get "derailed" (despite the mode of distribution and anti-consumer behavior being entirely topical for a given game release).
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ice Beam wrote:Verticen, that's my fear as well.

Someone asked about the lag on the Steam forums, and City Connection responded:
Thanks for posting.
First, I would like to inform you that there is no delay on the program.
However, depending on your devices, there may inevitably be a slight delay that depends on your monitor or gamepad.
One thing I can say is that updating the gamepad's firmware may improve it.
The team of Psyvariar is also working with us to develop and validate it.
I assume "no delay on the program" means it won't have the Switch lag. I'm guessing this was machine translated from Japanese.
The Psyvariar Delta team being involved is reassuring. The PS4 release feels indistinguishable from my old PS2 Complete disc, ie nice and tight.

I've not bothered with a Switch this gen, so I've no comment on ZeroDiv's stuff for that machine. But ACA NeoGeo's Strikers 1945 Plus (PS4) has their name on it, and its launching with unprecedentedly bad emulation for that typically impeccable series (quickly patched up to MVS spec in v1.01) is enough to make me wary of anything by them sans "adult supervision." I'm still not sure who the screwup was down to, but given the less than stellar reviews of their Switch stuff I have to be skeptical.

I'd love to see Strikers 1945 II in particular finally get a sound home release. Saturn 1945 I, Gunbird and Sengoku Blade are close enough for me, and other stuff (Sengoku Aces, Gunbird 2, Dragon Blaze, Zero Gunner 2) all had solid DC/PS2 ports, but 1945 II had noticeable inaccuracies on both 32bit systems, and the PS2 Strikers collection just slapped the PS1 ports onto a disc.
FRO

Post by FRO »

MathU wrote:
Domino wrote:Learn to deal with it or stop complaining.
Oh but I am, and this is one of the ways I deal with it. Can you handle the criticism?
And you would be opposing what is at this point a massive body of evidence demonstrating that a) unauthorized copies are not lost sales and b) DRM is ineffective. Is that worth disrespecting your paying customers and losing sales at the same time to people who won't tolerate it?

And by the way, "spamming"? Please. I usually make one measly post and get ignored. It's typically only when people like you take massive personal affront that someone else might not have the same standards as yourself that any of these advertising threads get "derailed" (despite the mode of distribution and anti-consumer behavior being entirely topical for a given game release).
Easy solution - pay for the Steam version, so you've given the license holder money, and play the MAME version anyway. You can assuage your conscience of a trace of guilt from pirating the ROM, while still supporting the company who's making it available, even if you're not playing that version. No need to worry about the DRM when you never actually play that version. Yes, I know buying the Steam version means you're paying for a license to use that version specifically, but ZeroDiv and City Connection probably aren't sending the boys in blue to your domicile for emulating a 25-year old game ;)
Shogun

Post by Shogun »

The DRM posts are part of the Shmups forum drinking game for me. Its basically tradition at this point. :lol:
MathU

Post by MathU »

FRO wrote:Easy solution - pay for the Steam version, so you've given the license holder money, and play the MAME version anyway. You can assuage your conscience of a trace of guilt from pirating the ROM, while still supporting the company who's making it available, even if you're not playing that version. No need to worry about the DRM when you never actually play that version.
I wish that were a complete solution, but paying money for anti-consumer practices simply encourages more of them. The consequences for this behavior must be monetary or developers and publishers will never get the message.
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

MathU wrote:blablabla
I don't understand what's your problem, If you want you can play the games without Steam. 99,9% of indie and Japanese games (shmups included) use SteamStub and nothing else and it's so easy to bypass that calling it drm is rather embarrassing. You either don't know how to do it, which is pretty ignorant considering how much you whine about it or you do and you're complaining for the sake of complaining.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Whoa, this thread took a dark turn...
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

MathU wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree.

There is no justification for DRM. There is no harm in expressing a wish for a DRM-free release. There is no need to suggest there's something wrong with people who want to oppose DRM. Why on Earth would someone accept something which is all drawbacks and no benefits? Oh right, "it's happened, get over it" and "all my games in one launcher" - what compelling arguments.
Domino

Post by Domino »

MathU wrote:I wish that were a complete solution, but paying money for anti-consumer practices simply encourages more of them. The consequences for this behavior must be monetary or developers and publishers will never get the message.
I hope you understand that the Japanese normally do not like DRM-Free at all. They are very conservative with regards to digital rights. I also believe they have strict Anti-Piracy laws in Japan. End of their day their culture viewpoint on things like this plus their laws will provide direction with regards to their digital games. They will not care what a gaijin thinks about DRM. I accepted this fact ten plus years ago, and per the market gamers overwhelming prefer Steam over something like GOG. The market has spoken a long time ago on this matter, and in the end of the day gamers prefer convenience. You lose, admit it.

And yes, I prefer DRM-Free stuff in the end of the day. However, people made their decision a long time ago. Stop spamming the forum.

TransatlanticFoe wrote:I wholeheartedly agree.

There is no justification for DRM. There is no harm in expressing a wish for a DRM-free release. There is no need to suggest there's something wrong with people who want to oppose DRM. Why on Earth would someone accept something which is all drawbacks and no benefits? Oh right, "it's happened, get over it" and "all my games in one launcher" - what compelling arguments.
See above.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:
MathU wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree.

+1

Unfortunately, DRM is the last of Steam's problems.
TransatlanticFoe

Ah the "you lost, get over it" argument. Not been hearing that on a near daily basis in the UK at all.

Accepting majority decision purely because it is majority decision is a pretty sucky way to do things. As is piling onto someone because they happen to be happy they're not in that majority. Yes, convenience has trumped freedom and privacy - and I think that's pretty sad.

If you want to disagree, that's fine. If it sounds like a stuck record every time Steam is mentioned and it's boring.... so what? Loads of things on this forum (and indeed life) bore me on a regular basis - I skip over it.
jedinat

Post by jedinat »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Ah the "you lost, get over it" argument. Not been hearing that on a near daily basis in the UK at all.

Accepting majority decision purely because it is majority decision is a pretty sucky way to do things. As is piling onto someone because they happen to be happy they're not in that majority. Yes, convenience has trumped freedom and privacy - and I think that's pretty sad.

If you want to disagree, that's fine. If it sounds like a stuck record every time Steam is mentioned and it's boring.... so what? Loads of things on this forum (and indeed life) bore me on a regular basis - I skip over it.
It would never have turned into a thing if the posts weren't so ridiculously melodramatic. And postiong about DRM every time Steam is mentioned just pointlessly derails threads, as exampled here.
TransatlanticFoe

As does posting about posting. And posting about posting about posting. And getting the last word in.

No-one is asking for you to pile in on anti-DRM posts.
jedinat

Post by jedinat »

Let's lay the irony on extra thick.