[SOLVED] Raiden Project JPN vs Western releases

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Restart_Point

[SOLVED] Raiden Project JPN vs Western releases

Post by Restart_Point »

EDIT: This has been solved, it appears that *most* of the options I described as missing are available in the Japanese version, but you have to press L1+L2+R1+R2 mid-game to get to them. This was not apparent from the manual so I have no idea if this is intended as a 'secret' or not...

OG Post: I've been playing a CDr of the US version of Raiden Project, just recently I bought a genuine copy from Japan (the one with the ship on the cover and not the budget or re-release version) and I was slightly disappointed to notice that it's missing quite a few extras that are in the US version,as far as I can see. These include the select button option screen where you can change screen options while playing and go back to main menu or straight to the other game. Also I noticed that the 'slightly wider but still not 4:3' screen option is missing too, plus the ability to re-position the score and bomb icons etc.

Is there a Japanese version that has the additions? Maybe it's the one with the different cover that has no ship but is just black with red Japanese text?

Among other differences in my Japanese version is that I get unlimited credits (using the select button which would otherwise bring up the in-game menu) and it seems slightly harder on equivalent difficulty settings.
Last edited by Restart_Point on Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Flashman

Re: Raiden Project JPN vs Western releases

Post by Flashman »

I always thought the Raiden games were released in Japan as stand alones on the PS1, I.E. Raiden 1 and 2 as separate games, I must be mistaken though.

I've got a genuine PAL copy, one of my favourites of all time, though good luck getting anywhere near Raiden 2.
Turrican

Re: Raiden Project JPN vs Western releases

Post by Turrican »

Raiden Project had a Japanese release. The stand alone barebobe version you describe is likely the very late Hamster re-release.
X - P - B