Any tips in how to keep your concentration

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SAM

Any tips in how to keep your concentration

Post by SAM »

I used to have my best performance in the 1st or 2nd run, then I just keep being shoot down. :|

For example, this morning I could get to as far as stage 5 in Gradius on my 2nd run, and then keep dieing on stage 2 or stage 3 for the reminder of the day. :o

I think that somthing to do with lossing one's concentration. Any tips on how to keep your concentration?

BTW is PC-Engine version of Gradius have an extra stage? I recall I haven't seen a stage 5 like that in other version of Gradius. :D
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
BIL

Re: Any tips in how to keep your concentration

Post by BIL »

SAM wrote:BTW is PC-Engine version of Gradius have an extra stage? I recall I haven't seen a stage 5 like that in other version of Gradius. :D
Yep, teh BONE STAGE. ImageImageImageImageImage Based on the one from MSX Gradius, if I remember right!
CIT

Post by CIT »

Whoa, SAM is back, yay!! Where have you been? :D
Special World

Post by Special World »

Meditation helps imo. Meditate for a little bit every morning and/or night. When you're playing STGs, recenter your breathing in the score tally between levels. If i'm feeling frustrated, i also close my eyes and take a ten count to focus on my breaths between runs. After that, you can focus on what went right during the run, if you like.

Also tbh there's nothing surprising about losing your focus after 30-60 minutes of playing. Thats how the mind works, i think. Maybe take a break or stop playing for the night. Or switch to training mode. The game will always be there tomorrow. Lately, if i play one credit, i let myself feel good. If you play a credit every night, you'll get better. Thats just how it is. You don't need to keep playing unless you're really having a fun time. Don't even worry about progress. That happens while you sleep.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Stick to one or two runs at a time if you're consistently losing focus afterwards. No need to push at a slippery wall - or you could just run practice after the first focused attempt.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
SAM

Post by SAM »

Thinks you guys, I would try that.
CIT wrote:Whoa, SAM is back, yay!! Where have you been? :D
Just taking a break. Nothing more. :wink:
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
WarpedByTheNHK

Post by WarpedByTheNHK »

I think the primary secret to avoid losing concentration is to avoid doing too many full runs. If you mostly practice segments then it is easier to treat each full run seriously the whole way through. Also, if you start to lose focus even while practicing a segment, then it might be time to switch which segment you are practicing.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I usually play in bursts, and confine myself to the likes of practice modes/savestates these days. Practice doesn't mean a lot to me unless I have something that I actually want to put into practice.

(of course, this excludes stuff like random newer games that get released)
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

It can be a matter of those first runs making you, consciously or unconsciously, set a bar for your performance. Trying to fulfil some expectations like that only creates additional pressure which can be hugely detrimental for concentration. That would explain doing better at first too since you'd forget such unconsciously set goals overnight and wouldn't have that pressure at the start of a day.

If that's the case then the solution is working on your mindset. Concentrate on the process and not the goal. Learn to recognize and stop the thoughts that get in the way like that. It might require conscious effort at first but it'll stick quickly enough.
BobbyNewmarkiii

Post by BobbyNewmarkiii »

Bash one off every 3 credits. Clean stick afterwards.