Wolf Fang / Rohga Armor Force

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
shmfan

Wolf Fang / Rohga Armor Force

Post by shmfan »

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has played this game?

What I have heard sounds interesting but I can not find much information about it on the internet.

Is it a "run and gun" type game or more like a normal shooter with auto-scrolling? Does your character run on the ground or fly?

I am not a huge fan of most Data East games so would like to know a bit more about this one before buying it.

Thanks.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I actually just got the PS version last week. Of course it's auto-scrolling; otherwise, it would just be another run-n-gun and wouldn't be listed here. Most sequences are grounded and playing actually requires thrusting due to gravity. At other times, the flying is automatic and you can move around at will.

You can shoot, jump/thrust, bomb (auto-recharge at that), and dash. Shooting is quite intuitive since you face the same direction until you stop firing. It starts off easy since you get a boatload of lives (1-hit kill lives nevertheless) but ends up a good challenge since your mech is just a big target and thrusting isn't so easy to control, at least not for me. When you lose all your lives, your mech gets destroyed and you get one last shot in a space suit. His hit box is substantially smaller and makes most parts really easy.

The PS version has a PS mode and arcade mode. Never tried the arcade mode so I don't know what's different besides the 3D mech heads in the title screen reverting to 2D. Any Saturn Wolf Fang SS owners who can tell me if there's a Saturn mode in that game? You can also choose from arcade music and remixed PS music. There's also dialogues between each stage, at least for the PS mode and are unskippable if you don't turn off voices IIRC.

Basically, fun game but a bit clunky.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

Isn't the Arcade mode a straight port of the coin-op ?. It should be 2D then
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

All the versions are 2D. PS mode just has intermissions and 3D mech heads on the title screen (maybe more but I haven't gotten too indepth).
jp

Post by jp »

Yes, there is a Saturn mode in Wolf Fang SS. As well as some soundtrack options.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I've heard this game compared to Contra (supposedly there's a vulcan weapon in Wolf Fang that is very similar to the spread weapon in Contra), but since it has auto-scrolling, I don't know how similar it could be.

In terms of overall clunkiness/slowness, how does Wolf Fang compare to SNES Cybernoid (Assault Suits Valken)? That game was WAAY to slow and clunky for my tastes.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

It controls like Valken with the dash and thrusters but it's pretty maneuverable so it's definitely faster paced. However, there's definitely also more bullets than Valken so trying to avoid the bullets hailing down diagonally while also trying not to thrust into enemies is a bit of a challenge as opposed to Valken's easy-ass, mostly 1-on-1 combat. Stages are action packed and you use directions to control your gun rather than the unintuitive raise/lower button that the Assault Suit games feature.

It's not similar to Contra at all really. My guess is the people who said that suffered from what I call the "Raiden syndrome" where every basic, not-too-pretty vertical shooter ends up being referred to as a Raiden knockoff. The laser in Wolf Fang for one doesn't resemble Contra's laser at all.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

What's the deal with Data East and forced scrolling, btw. This games plays more like Chelnov than Contra.

Does anyone know if there are differences between the three PSone releases?
X - P - B
shmfan

Post by shmfan »

Thanks a lot for your help!

I actually can't find it listed in the "Xenocide Files", that's why I thought it was maybe a "run and gun" instead.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Anyone know of ANY videos of Wolf Fang?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
system11

Post by system11 »

I have the PCB of this game - really great little shmup, trying out different robot builds is fun too. I seem to get most mileage from 4 legged variants.