Dodonpachi Saidaioujou EXA Label

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cave hermit

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou EXA Label

Post by cave hermit »

I mean, I googled it just now and grabbed an iso for the 360 version off of some shady ass site (I own the original disc release mind you), and it at least ran the opening FMV on my work laptop in Xenia. Need to actually test it on my gaming PC, but based on this initial experience it seems fairly trivial to get Saidaioujou running on your PC if you really want it.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Tokyo-J wrote:No one has a Dump of SDOJ yet. If it existed I would of had it already.

Well, that's a bummer :|

However, the internet is vast and full of wonder, so who knows what a forgotten russian hard drive has on it, next to that Cave3rd emulator 8)
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

cave hermit wrote:I mean, I googled it just now and grabbed an iso for the 360 version off of some shady ass site (I own the original disc release mind you), and it at least ran the opening FMV on my work laptop in Xenia. Need to actually test it on my gaming PC, but based on this initial experience it seems fairly trivial to get Saidaioujou running on your PC if you really want it.
It runs like crap, even with a powerful PC. Xenia is still in alpha status. The canary build that was mentioned in the thread requires D3D12, and it's very unoptimized. Vulkan runs better with other games, but you get a black screen with most Cave 360 games (SDOJ shows the intro movie only).

Plus, once you add in the lag from emulation to the game itself, it's nigh unplayable.
clippa

Post by clippa »

I was playing sdoj tonight and it runs great.

I have a futari run on youtube played in xenia using dx12. It's flawless, feels exactly like the 360 version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9ST-qnu4lk
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

The 360 version is definitely not flawless itself though.

--

Just remember that whenever people are complaining that game X isn't available in MAME they are complaining that a free stolen copy of the game isn't available to them. In this case, a relatively new one.

not all companies can afford the time and legal costs of actually pursuing those doing IP infringement, but having gotten away with it for years in the '90s and 2000s doesn't grant game fans an inalienable right to download commercial games for free
avri62

Post by avri62 »

mikejmoffitt wrote: Just remember that whenever people are complaining that game X isn't available in MAME they are complaining that a free stolen copy of the game isn't available to them. In this case, a relatively new one.

not all companies can afford the time and legal costs of actually pursuing those doing IP infringement, but having gotten away with it for years in the '90s and 2000s doesn't grant game fans an inalienable right to download commercial games for free
Thank you for this. I get tired of entitled losers bitching about how they can't download whatever CAVE ROM for free. People around here seem to forget that distributing and downloading ROMs of copyright-protected games is illegal.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Do not speak about theft when you mean copyright infringement.
Gus

Post by Gus »

People have been wanting to see SDOJ in Steam since forever. You can look at my old posts from 2013 and see that I was actually against Cave games in MAME back when they first came out as they were cutting into Cave's ability to profit off the 360 ports. Now I'm not against it anymore for the simple fact that Cave is no longer making money off most of those games, so them being in MAME is little more than free publicity. It does nothing to help Cave when people fork over 5k for a PCB or 200 for the PCB port to some greedy collector, so I'd rather people pirate than support that bullshit market. If Cave wants to make money off their IP again, all they have to do is offer a home alternative that's at least on par with emulation and people will gladly support them, as they did for Cave's Steam ports. As they're not doing that, people will seek alternative measures.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

imagine still playing shmups and hoping for some breadcrumbs with extra input lag thrown your way when you can play glorious final fantasy 7 remake in a few weeks
qmish

Post by qmish »

Bananamatic wrote:imagine still playing shmups and hoping for some breadcrumbs with extra input lag thrown your way when you can play glorious final fantasy 7 remake in a few weeks
Better play glorious doom64
clippa

Post by clippa »

mikejmoffitt wrote:Just remember that whenever people are complaining that game X isn't available in MAME they are complaining that a free stolen copy of the game isn't available to them. In this case, a relatively new one.
I don't know if that's entirely true.
I'm sure there are some people like that, but most people I talk to just want to play these games and will take any option available to them.
I have the 360 discs sat right here in my drawer, I'm not gonna feel guilty about downloading and playing them on my pc.

If the likes of M2 are truly interested in game preservation then releasing games on PC is the way to go, not some transitory iteration of console hardware that'll be forgotten about it 5 years time.

If cave released sdoj tomorrow for pc and charged me 100 quid for it, I'd gladly snap it up.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I somehow missed the 360 release back in the day, so I hope it gets released on another platform at some point.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

It's a good year for gaming.

Animal Crossing: Eternal
Doom: New Horizons (and Doom 64 official and modern sourceports)
Final Fantasy 7 remake
Persona 5 Royal
Resident Evil 3 remake
Trials of Mana remake
Cyberpunk 2077

I stand by the idea that realistically, pirating/emulation is the primary means of access for most people to play shmups. Otherwise you have to find old ridiculously overpriced ports for obsolete systems, old overpriced failing arcade board hardware, or in the best case scenario, go out of your way to make a foreign games account and shell out a premium for modern ports. Only the last of these options directly supports the developers.

I own all the region free cave games for xbox 360. I also have severe OCD and (irrationally) fear that I'll damage or scratch these stupidly rare and pricey discs. For preservation's sake I'd rather play games in mame or emulate in Xenia since the latter appears to be an option for Saidaioujou and various arrange modes.

Not to mention that if you're in the know you can emulate the exclusive DLCs for matsuri modes and 1.01/1.5 modes that Cave never actually sold or made available outside of first print promotions because Cave has an unhealthy obsession with making it exceedingly difficult for consumers to actually obtain their products.
clippa

Post by clippa »

None of that lot for me. Might try doom later on when the price comes down. Didn't care too much for the reboot.

Spelunky 2 though, now you're talking! That can't come soon enough. Still think it's a fair way off though.

I was tempted by animal crossing but I don't think I can go back to playing that sort of game on a pad after stardew valley.
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

M2 and CAVE should keep some of the stock of their releases and future releases to themself. Wait a couple of years and sell them for 200+US$$$ on ebay themself.
Atleast then they get the money :D
qmish

Post by qmish »

page is not broken now
https://exa.ac/en/2020/03/19/dodonpachi ... 177369a3b7
TOKYO, JAPAN – March 19, 2020 – CAVE’s DODONPACHI SAIDAIOUJOU EXA LABEL comes exclusively to exA-Arcadia.

Licensed by and developed in association with the legendary shooting game developers at CAVE, DODONPACHI SAIDAIOUJOU EXA LABEL is the 1st release of this new partnership and marks the arcade return of this series after an 8 year hiatus from the original game’s release. Scheduled to be released in Summer 2020, stay tuned for more information regarding new game modes and features that will continue the high level of operator revenue performance set by the exA-Arcadia platform.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Operator revenue!
qmish

Post by qmish »

Better for EXA than for EGS, though, right?

:mrgreen:
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

I know this is super nit picky but "EXA Label" is such a terrible name.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

mikejmoffitt wrote:Just remember that whenever people are complaining that game X isn't available in MAME they are complaining that a free stolen copy of the game isn't available to them. In this case, a relatively new one.
No, people are complaining because:

1) the original PCB has sound issues and sells for thousands of dollars on the aftermarket
2) the port has issues, like being able to incude slowdown with rapidfire
3) the port sells for $100ish itself, which is also long out of print
4) it's region-locked, so you'd have to get a Japanese 360 too

Basically, most people cannot actually play or access the game.

The announcement for Exa might work for arcade operators but it doesn't work for people that actually want to play the game. "Spend $3500 (exa hardware & game) instead of $6000" was never really a route people took in this scene, you're not going to find very many people out there willing to dish out $2k+ for one game. And even if you do, don't expect them to produce any results, because most people in that financial situation have more money than time.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

Elixir wrote:4) it's region-locked, so you'd have to get a Japanese 360 too

Basically, most people cannot actually play or access the game
It was region free and according to your guide this also should also apply the $25 digital version on the Japanese store, accessible to anyone if they create an account and add some credit.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23501
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

tomwhite2004 wrote:

It was region free and according to your guide this also should also apply the $25 digital version on the Japanese store, accessible to anyone if they create an account and add some credit.

My bad. It is region-free. Does the digital version on Japanese 360 require a VPN? It's been a very long time since I've turned mine on.

All my other points still stand.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

Elixir wrote:My bad. It is region-free. Does the digital version on Japanese 360 require a VPN? It's been a very long time since I've turned mine on.
I downloaded Shooting Love, Futari and the Pork / Sweets double pack on a friends PAL 360 without a VPN, I see no reason from the available info that SDOJ should be any different.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Does anyone know where you can buy Japanese Xbox points?
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

Johnpv wrote:Does anyone know where you can buy Japanese Xbox points?
https://www.nippon-yasan.com/
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

tomwhite2004 wrote:
Johnpv wrote:Does anyone know where you can buy Japanese Xbox points?
https://www.nippon-yasan.com/
They show as out of stock too.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

Johnpv wrote:They show as out of stock too.
https://www.nippon-yasan.com/search.php ... rch=Search
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

tomwhite2004 wrote:

This. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. SDOJ physical might be incredible overpriced but the Games on Demand version hasn't gone anywhere: https://marketplace.xbox.com/ja-jp/Prod ... 02435a07e7

Also, I'm all for game preservation but let's not kid ourselves. For every 1 person that playes a game in MAME that they own, 99 people will play it for free.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Oniros wrote: Also, I'm all for game preservation but let's not kid ourselves. For every 1 person that playes a game in MAME that they own, 99 people will play it for free.
And that is a problem why exactly? Would you rather those 99 people not play it at all, fracturing the already minuscule shmups community even further? It is Cave's fault for failing to make these games easily accessible to a broader audience. Gabe Newell once said that "rampant piracy is just unserved customers".

Say you live in North America, only have a PC and maybe a current gen console and you're curious about shmups. You hear about Cave and their great shmups. You read their last great shmup was Saidaioujou. Ok, you want to play it legally and support Cave in their future endeavors (like putting Saidaioujou on a niche arcade platform nobody will ever actually be able to use, or selling limited edition grape juice labeled as Maria's robo-piss at a Matsuri event).

So you do some research, and find out the easiest way to play Saidaioujou legally is to buy a used Xbox 360, create a Japanese Microsoft account (which will have no other utility given the Xbox brand's failure in Japan), and use an import website to buy Japanese prepaid cards.

Alternatively you could download uBlock Origin, type "Saidaioujou" into google along with a file extension, and click on the first result.

I'm not saying that the former is an extreme effort, but it might as well be for a casual consumer with only a slight interest in shmups.

And for what? Pretty much none of cave's original staff remains, the best they can do is outsource some ports of their older games to M2. If you give them money, they will invest it in things like Saidaioujou EXA label.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

DoomsDave wrote:I know this is super nit picky but "EXA Label" is such a terrible name.
Just out of curiosity: what would you have them name it, if you could?
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.