Win7 or Win10 for Steam Cave titles?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bytestorm

Win7 or Win10 for Steam Cave titles?

Post by bytestorm »

I know that the steam ports are not 100% pcb accurate but I do enjoy them alot anyway :).

But I would like to get them as good as possible atleast... I read somewhere that win10 might not be favorable fo these 3 cave titles?

Is there any truth in that? I am running win10 atm and it somethimes feel a bit sluggish and unresponsive, so I am planning a reinstall.
But might aswell install win7 instead if that would be favorable?

What do you guys think?
Looking to buy, working or faulty: Dodonpachi, Deathsmiles, Ibara, Rainbow Islands, Bubble Bobble.
Elixir

Re: Win7 or Win10 for Steam Cave titles?

Post by Elixir »

W7 support ended so not sure why you'd bother. CAVE's Steam ports are basically just inferior 360 backports and any issues they have are tied to their port or were present in the 360 port to begin with (for instance, DFK's Arrange A softlock bug), nothing to do with the OS.

I'd just use W10 if I were you.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

Elixir wrote:W7 support ended so not sure why you'd bother. CAVE's Steam ports are basically just inferior 360 backports and any issues they have are tied to their port or were present in the 360 port to begin with (for instance, DFK's Arrange A softlock bug), nothing to do with the OS.

I'd just use W10 if I were you.
I dont care about the lack of support, I just thought there might be some inputlag difference perhaps between win7 & 10.
Thought the games were ported with win7 in mind, but I might have dreamt that :S
But the sluggishness is prolly my pc then :/.. If there is no known advantage then I guess Ill just reinstall w10
Looking to buy, working or faulty: Dodonpachi, Deathsmiles, Ibara, Rainbow Islands, Bubble Bobble.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

there's a particular issue with DoDonPachi Resurrection (as i don't have the other ports, i don't know if this is persistent) where if you change the screen resolution in any way (resizing the window, changing aspect ratio, switching from windowed to fullscreen), the video fails to refresh, resulting in a black screen (or the screen being stuck on what it was on) and forcing you to force quit the game and start it again.

however, i've only had this problem on Windows 10 PCs (which my gaming laptop unfortunately falls under) -- this issue is completely non-prevalent on my Windows 7 desktop, and the game works like a charm.

i haven't experienced any sluggishness or anything like that when playing, although there are occasional moments where the framerate will suddenly drop for brief moments of time. it's not a slowdown issue either -- actual frame drops. again, not a problem (or at least, not one that i remember happening frequently) on my W7 computer.