It's all in your head

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Plasmo

It's all in your head

Post by Plasmo »

It's all in your head
Last edited by Plasmo on Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
el_rika

Re: US$ 2,250+ bounty to find the scoring glitch in Dodonpac

Post by el_rika »

Interesting. Had no clue about this glitch's existence. Will follow the subject.
clippa

Post by clippa »

If you're exploiting a glitch that not everyone knows about, is that not considered cheating since it's giving you an unfair advantage?

Seems like a bit of grey area to me.

I wouldn't feel like my score was legit until I'd shared the knowledge, myself.
Once it's common knowledge and it's just a matter of learning how to do it and being able to pull it off consistently, then it's fair play, I'd say.
blossom

Post by blossom »

I assumed you were one of the "privileged few" westerners who knew the details of this glitch. I guess not? Is that just a myth, DOES anyone outside of Japan know the details? Because if they do and are remaining silent, I'd say they're pretty much the equivalent of scum I'd find on the bottom of my shoe. Japan helped bury shmups with their elitism and I say let them stay in their grave.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Having strats that no one else knows is legit and knowing where this is a glitch and how to exploit it is legitimate in the same way.

Interesting bounty. I wonder if there’s any old documentation of the glitch in old magazines or blogs, or even in the little notes that sometimes came with homemade vhs superplays.

Alternately, are the people who we think know the glitch still playing, and do they play in public? Maybe the fund could justify someone’s fact finding mission to specific Japanese arcades. :)

EDIT:

Two additional questions:

1) is there any public discussion aside from the TAS thread about what has been investigated and discarded vs what is suspected but not investigated yet? I understand that a big bounty may discourage some from sharing information but I'm curious about the search so far.

2) If we donate to the fund and the bounty expires, what happens to the undistributed funds?
Last edited by CStarFlare on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

With this bounty, a lucky shmupper can start his own PCB collection, buying half of a SDOJ board! :mrgreen:

We'll see if someone pulls through; best of luck.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

this should be interesting... i'm too much of a DDP noob to participate but i'll be keeping an eye on this :D
heli

Post by heli »

Time to debug the disassembly, good luck.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

EmperorIng wrote:With this bounty, a lucky shmupper can start his own PCB collection, buying half of a SDOJ board! :mrgreen:
:lol:
zlk

Post by zlk »

I will never tell for any amount of money. :D

Seriously though, why are you putting up this amount of money? I think if you just asked and waited people would figure out how to do it for free. Several people in Japan clearly know how to do it. People outside of Japan will eventually figure it out.
Last edited by zlk on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

heli wrote:Time to debug the disassembly, good luck.
I'd get right on with that if it weren't for the fact that literally nothing about the nature of the glitch is known. How would you know where to start?
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

zlk wrote:Seriously though, why are you putting up this amount of money? I think if you just asked and waited people would figure out how to do it for free.
Haven't you set up a bounty for Donpachi 10 years ago? Still nothing has surfaced and that was with a bounty.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
zlk

Post by zlk »

The bounties have long since expired. Armchair General’s 60m video is awesome and we also have a counterstop video as well. That is enough for me. So some things eventually did surface...
blackisto

Post by blackisto »

Sumez wrote:
heli wrote:Time to debug the disassembly, good luck.
I'd get right on with that if it weren't for the fact that literally nothing about the nature of the glitch is known. How would you know where to start?
I do really think that the first post on this link is a good start to widely narrow the research :
http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 2&start=32
blossom

Post by blossom »

3) From another source, which knows what the bug is (but cannot share it for reasons I won't discuss here) the bug is hard to find; but is not something completely gamebreaking which ruins the scoring of the game for people interested in superplays.
Seriously, this is why I'm glad Japanese arcades are starting to die out. Not only are the Japanese players childishly keeping it a secret, apparently there are western players who also know the secret and will not reveal it because they'll be ostracized by their cool Japanese senpais. Pure elitism. All parties involved should be ashamed.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Mad cuz bad bro
blossom

Post by blossom »

I have no interest in Dodonpachi, so I don't care that I'm bad at the game. But for others who do play Dodonpachi, this whole situation is insane. To pull from something else blackisto said in that TASVideos thread:
I do have a video, sent privately by WTN. I will not publicly post it but I can send you a link by PM.
Again, this secrecy is elitism. Just imagine for one moment if the speed running community were to function in this way. You wouldn't have close to the amount of players or knowledge. The shmups scene could be so much more if not for its gatekeeping.
Gus

Post by Gus »

There is no gatekeeping going on. Here's the video if you want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wH4pTe ... U_fc0hfhA5
blossom

Post by blossom »

If there is no gatekeeping, why does this thread exist? In a healthy community, every single player would know that glitch. You can make some weak argument about "the arcades won't allow video footage to be publicized" and I'll sigh and say, ok fine, but that doesn't explain why the top players could not describe this glitch in written form.
Connor

Post by Connor »

blossom wrote:I have no interest in Dodonpachi,
:thinking:
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

blossom wrote:
3) From another source, which knows what the bug is (but cannot share it for reasons I won't discuss here) the bug is hard to find; but is not something completely gamebreaking which ruins the scoring of the game for people interested in superplays.
Seriously, this is why I'm glad Japanese arcades are starting to die out. Not only are the Japanese players childishly keeping it a secret, apparently there are western players who also know the secret and will not reveal it because they'll be ostracized by their cool Japanese senpais. Pure elitism. All parties involved should be ashamed.
You are glad Japanese arcades are dying out because of something like this? Elitism > childishness I guess.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
system11

Post by system11 »

Yeah having though about this for a bit, I'm not happy with fundraising being conducted on the forum for something that:

1) Possibly won't get found
2) Might already be known and simply claimed by someone sitting on the knowledge:

And no I'm not suggesting Plasmo is that person, but still - this seems doomed to become meme or drama, perhaps both.

Honestly if someone has that much of a burning hole in their pocket why not donate it to a charity gaming event or forum running costs?
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Last edited by mikejmoffitt on Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system11

Re: US$ effort to find the scoring glitch in Dodonpachi

Post by system11 »

Code analysis probably is the way to go on this.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Lags

Post by Lags »

I used to think my posts were low-quality until I read some of blossoms'.
Also why the admin censorship of the prize? Seems low-key lame as fuck. You could add a disclaimer/warning to it, or something.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

mikejmoffitt wrote: The fundraising is a bit of a turnoff for it IMO just because that discourages sharing thoughts in a thread like this.
I was just thinking the same. I had some vague thoughts about what the glitch could be, based on previously linked information, but actually held off from sharing it due to the bounty.
(though it's not valid at this point, I think your research into the game alone disproves my theory).
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

What’s the problem with the reward???and all this talk of elitism,if someone has figure out how to get a tactical advantage what’s the problem they have gone through the effort to find it and pull it off!for example if someone in motorsports has a faster car and found out how to get the edge,they aren’t going to share that information with there competitors,there rivals need to invest time and reasearch to see if they themselves can find a edge,not sure I explain it right but you see what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

It's unfortunate that the bounty discourages information sharing, but if this forum/the non-Japanese community was going to come up with the answer for free it would have happened already. The people outside of Japan who are willing and able to find this glitch have either been not interested in doing so, or not interested in sharing.
You are glad Japanese arcades are dying out because of something like this? Elitism > childishness I guess.
Which party is which in this equation?

I completely understand system11's reticence but
I'm not happy with fundraising being conducted on the forum for something that:

2) Might already be known and simply claimed by someone sitting on the knowledge:
This is a completely fine outcome.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS