It's all in your head

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Queen Charlene

Re: It's all in your head

Post by Queen Charlene »

i don't know if i personally subscribe to the implication that caring about tech in a game that's part of a genre that you have a vested interest/curiosity in is really a bad thing. i don't think you have to immediately start grinding DDP and talking about the glitch in every other post to care or be interested in said glitch, especially because the glitch existing and the history behind it has a pretty decent amount of cultural significance to people who are invested in the genre. i feel like the SM64 comparison isn't a great one either because SM64 has probably sold more copies and had a bigger fanbase in general than all shmups/shmup fans that exist on the planet, so of course something like the DDP glitch isn't going to be as "exciting" to other people as it might be to us.

it's kinda like saying "if you aren't actively practicing the secret SF4 Ryu glitch combo that does 50% of your lifebar with 1 meter, and posting about it all the time, do you even really care?" idk. personally i have like 3-4 jobs and volunteer work that i do in my life and my free time can only be spent on so many things, and i happen to be practicing a different DDP game right now that i find a little more accessible to me, but i still play DDP too and practice it on the side occasionally. maybe i'm not good enough to trigger the glitch or whatever but i'm still interested in it because i play these games.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

you shouldn't take this personally as "everyone needs to play ddp"

it's just raw facts, you have 2 pages of drama, a deleted OP, 1 nuked twitter account and a leaked stage 5 full chain video, all over a game with 1 active player (who has a job and a family)
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

eat pants bananaman huehuehue
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BBH

Post by BBH »

sweet thread
zak

Re: US$ 2,250+ bounty to find the scoring glitch in Dodonpac

Post by zak »

system11 wrote:
Honestly if someone has that much of a burning hole in their pocket why not donate it to a charity gaming event or forum running costs?
What happened to the forum donate button? :wink:
heli

Post by heli »

Why did the topic starter remove the starting post ?
Now someone told, and wanna keep it for self ?

Suppose you want ever a M2 version, they have to find the bug first, else they can not re-release this game.
So yes it is important.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

heli wrote:Why did the topic starter remove the starting post ?
Now someone told, and wanna keep it for self ?

Suppose you want ever a M2 version, they have to find the bug first, else they can not re-release this game.
So yes it is important.
plot twist: M2 won't release it because even they aren't allowed to admit the bug exists
heli

Post by heli »

No, they are setting up a online highscore, it should not be corrupt, else it is useless.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Bananamatic wrote:you shouldn't take this personally as "everyone needs to play ddp"

it's just raw facts, you have 2 pages of drama, a deleted OP, 1 nuked twitter account and a leaked stage 5 full chain video, all over a game with 1 active player (who has a job and a family)
I keep telling people there are better games to play but no one listens
heli

Post by heli »

It is not 1 april yet.
Will they put the message back on the right day ?
clippa

Post by clippa »

Bananamatic wrote:only one person here is actively playing the game
I'm assuming you weren't referring to me, but I'm playing it at the minute and trying to get a 1cc.
I don't care for stingy chaining as a scoring mechanic. The idea of mapping out and memorising a route for each stage to keep my chain going bores me to tears, and I don't think I'll ever be good enough/willing to grind my way to a 2-all.

I find the glitch interesting but I I don't really care if western players are able to find it, to be honest. I'm not gonna get anywhere near the top of the leaderboard so if the top spot is a few million ahead of everyone else, it makes no odds to me.
No amount of money would make me want to waste my time scouring the code or playing stage 5 on a loop. It's not something I personally care about.
Not being confrontational, just trying to explain why I'm not roused into action to do my part for the great cause.

Mark's video with the american flag flying in the background did make me chuckle though!
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

there are also newer players who aren't at a level where chaining is even on the radar, and going for the clear with the various ships in DDP is still fun to do at that point. It's different than an experienced STG player finding reasons to go back to DDP when they've already worn themselves out from it.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

EmperorIng wrote:I keep telling people there are better games to play but no one listens
play final fantasy XIV
yesterday's patch was amazing
clippa wrote:Not being confrontational, just trying to explain why I'm not roused into action to do my part for the great cause.
which is fine since the best thing you can do here is walk away
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Out of curiosity, who exactly raised up that bounty that's apparently floating around?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Bananamatic wrote:which is fine since the best thing you can do here is walk away
:lol: fair comment. Just you were slamming doors, asking why everyone wasn't pulling together. Just giving my reasons as they might be the same for a few other folk.
Squire Grooktook wrote:Out of curiosity, who exactly raised up that bounty that's apparently floating around?
Plasmo, mark and gus, I'm assuming.
zlk

Post by zlk »

Maybe this deserves its own thread:

http://electricunderground.io/the-top-s ... us-glitch/

Also Plasmo's twitter is back:

https://twitter.com/Plasmo_STG

All is right in the universe again, or perhaps it is just in my head...
qmish

Post by qmish »

Tbh, idea that "somehow this bounty event will help shmups elevate from niche underground ghetto to mainstream gaming recognition" is weird and seems very unlikely, at best it will result to headlines on game news site after this bounty is paid to a person who did the task, and it will be just some "news" that will trigger some lazy comments like "wow, they spend so much for that?" among non-shmup gamers, and that's it.

If Plasmo wasn't joking and really expect it to "work", i fear it should have been done with more "organization & contacts". Like, if this event was done in collaboration with abeforementioned games done quick, or, i mean, just anything that has HIGH recognition, popularity, on-surface presence, reputation, etc. etc. etc. etc., then, MAYBE, it might work. Yeah, you'll need collab with company/people who will put this event on mass-viewing surface actually... And not just several hundred shmuppers from forum and discords combined together. You'll need those who really can push it. Maybe those who who have marketing/pr network outside of gaming industry, even.

Otherwise, it just remains ultra mega niche for smallest circles, as usual.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

CRP

Post by CRP »

zlk wrote:Maybe this deserves its own thread:

http://electricunderground.io/the-top-s ... us-glitch/
Head up about that link. i got trojan warning with eset antivirus
" Threat found
This web page contains potentially dangerous content.
Threat: HTML/ScrInject.B trojan "
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Ha you all caught me sneaking Trojans onto my website. I heard reading the post can cause blindness as well.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Mark_MSX wrote:Ha you all caught me sneaking Trojans onto my website. I heard reading the post can cause blindness as well.
Just an fyi, I got a virus warning too. Using Firefox browser.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
clippa

Post by clippa »

Yeah, I got it on firefox with avast too. Probably a false positive, but I can confirm that he's not just trying to wind you up.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Culprit is most likely a script running on billyjons dot net. I can see it in uMatrix. Seems like a lot of false positives for this site.
ShamefurDispray

Post by ShamefurDispray »

God I thought by "the glitch" you guys were jokingly referring to our consciousness and the ability of emergent properties of the universe to be self-aware in a subjective/dharmic way. Phew. Strong weed. :mrgreen:
zlk

Post by zlk »

The glitch has been found by blacklisto. Congrats!
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Nice! Congrats :D
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Ako

Post by Ako »

lol that fucking fast. 15 years of bullshit, walls of text, strategy threads, community building, shmups reviving, chasing shitty 1ccs, collecting cardboard boxes, and it was all fruitless compared to one motivated guy sitting down and actually putting in the work.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Congrats to blackisto but why was the bounty cancelled?
Japan and the western communities both have good and bad parts. You can’t say that only one side is totally in the right. In the current situation it comes across as if Japan and the west are both on the extreme opposite ends of the spectrum, the important part is finding a balance between the two communities
there is no balance between one side being open and the other being secretive unless we also secretly hide info...if we had any in the first place
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

i believe Blackisto is on the committee and thus wasn't eligible for the money in the first place. (or didn't want to claim it because of being on the committee.)
MaXXX

Post by MaXXX »

Bananamatic wrote: the other being secretive unless we also secretly hide info...if we had any in the first place
The elusive round eye glitch