Interesting find on PC Engine platform w/ Final Soldier...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PC Engine Fan X!

Interesting find on PC Engine platform w/ Final Soldier...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

If you have the actual PCE Hu-Cards of Hudson Soft's Final Soldier and Final Soldier Special (or a Krizz Everdrive flash cart with both listed roms) + a Tennokoe Bank 2 add-on accessory, both PCE STG titles share the same save file when it comes to saving the high scores for both 2 & 5 minute caravan games. I did not know that and have learned just today that they do so -- interesting discovery/find indeed for the year 2020 on the PCE console platform.

Also with Hudson Soft's Soldier Blade, it does have built-in support for Backup RAM (BRAM) on the PC Engine Duo/Duo-R/Duo-RX + TTI's Turbo Duo as well (as well with the usual PC Engine/Core Grafx I & II along with the appropriate Tennokoe Bank II add-on accessory). There seems to be no BRAM functionality of Hudson Soft's Soldier Blade Special when it comes to both the 2 & 5 minute scoring runs (which is a shame imho). Oh well.

What other PCE STG titles take advantage of BRAM besides the above listed PCE Hu-Card based STG titles of Final Soldier, Final Soldier Special & Soldier Blade?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
MJR

Re: Interesting find on PC Engine platform w/ Final Soldier.

Post by MJR »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:If you have the actual PCE Hu-Cards of Hudson Soft's Final Soldier and Final Soldier Special (or a Krizz Everdrive flash cart with both listed roms) + a Tennokoe Bank 2 add-on accessory, both PCE STG titles share the same save file when it comes to saving the high scores for both 2 & 5 minute caravan games. I did not know that and have learned just today that they do so -- interesting discovery/find indeed for the year 2020 on the PCE console platform.

Also with Hudson Soft's Soldier Blade, it does have built-in support for Backup RAM (BRAM) on the PC Engine Duo/Duo-R/Duo-RX + TTI's Turbo Duo as well (as well with the usual PC Engine/Core Grafx I & II along with the appropriate Tennokoe Bank II add-on accessory). There seems to be no BRAM functionality of Hudson Soft's Soldier Blade Special when it comes to both the 2 & 5 minute scoring runs (which is a shame imho). Oh well.

What other PCE STG titles take advantage of BRAM besides the above listed PCE Hu-Card based STG titles of Final Soldier, Final Soldier Special & Soldier Blade?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
holy crap, I just realized that I actually DO have Tennokoe Bank 2 at home; I used it to save progress w/ Devil's crush, but it hasn't occurred to my mind to actually check which STG's use it. Might be worth investigating.
MJR

Re: Interesting find on PC Engine platform w/ Final Soldier.

Post by MJR »

Oh you were asking about the BRAM on the Duo, apologies for too quick reading.. I do have Duo as well, but never noticed any extra functionality on the STG games I own (which are mainly arcade conversions). But this is interesting.