Who wrote the score to Mega Blast (Taito, 1989)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tar-Palantir

Who wrote the score to Mega Blast (Taito, 1989)

Post by Tar-Palantir »

The game ending doesn't list credits. It has to be one of Zuntata, but I can't tell. The second stage music could have come straight out of Gun Frontier, so I'm guessing Yack? Can someone confirm (or correct) me?
BIL

Re: Who wrote the score to Mega Blast (Taito, 1989)

Post by BIL »

This has haunted me for fifteen goddamn years, me and my ol' buddy Cecil McWoot never did figure it out. Lately I wonder if it was contracted out to Hidetoshi Fukumori, Gun Frontier's composer? With considerably more information and connections at our disposal nowadays, this is a thread whose time has come. :cool:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

According to this page:
​Hidetoshi Fukumori - Megablast (ARC, some tracks by Frederic Chopin & Ludwig van Beethoven)
https://minirevver.weebly.com/top-composers-1980s.html
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Some more info from @wiki:
Mr. Norihiro Furukawa , who was in his second year at the company and was also a ZUNTATA member, is also the director of the entire game. ( * 1 ) Although there was a reason for using seemingly unrelated classical music, such as the fantasy impromptu for the demo screen and the ninth for the ending, there was a major change in direction after that and it was added to :P the game. It is said that it has become something that does not mesh. ( * 2 ) Fantasie Impromptu was supposed to be the first BGM, but it was decided to be a demo song because a temporary song was included first and because of strong opposition from those around her who said, "The selection of songs is too aggressive." ( *3 )

Hidetoshi Fukumori, an outsourced composer who would later work on the music for Gun Frontier ( *4 ) .
The song has a good vibe, and it is said that it is a mismatch with the dark game content, but it seems that the fact that the game screen was not shown to the
outside also has an effect. (Reference: Hidetoshi Fukumori ).

As an aside, ROUND 1 BGM had lyrics in the development stage . It fits the tune, and it's like the OP of the 80's robot anime.
The lyricist is Mr. Kazuhiro Numata, who is his ZAK MUNN, for the 1st, Mr. Kenji Kaido, who is the 2nd lyric, and the 3rd and 4th are another staff. A karaoke video about the lyrics has also been uploaded to YouTube
by ZAK MUNN .
https://w.atwiki.jp/gamemusicbest100/pages/9045.html

And Furukawa even confirmed on Twitter that it's the same composer as Gun Frontier,:

https://twitter.com/nakayamaraiden/stat ... rIYjQ&s=19
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

A karaoke video about the lyrics has also been uploaded to YouTube by ZAK MUNN .
Hmm, considering the pilot designs and some bosses, like Disruption and the final boss, it starts to make sense that this was supposed to be a far more enthusiastic and happy-go-lucky game. Ah well.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:According to this page:
​Hidetoshi Fukumori - Megablast (ARC, some tracks by Frederic Chopin & Ludwig van Beethoven)
https://minirevver.weebly.com/top-composers-1980s.html
Superbly done, cheers. :cool:
Hidetoshi Fukumori, an outsourced composer who would later work on the music for Gun Frontier ( *4 ) .
The song has a good vibe, and it is said that it is a mismatch with the dark game content, but it seems that the fact that the game screen was not shown to the
outside also has an effect.
(Reference: Hidetoshi Fukumori ).
Sounds like he was hiding in the elevator for this job too. :o :lol: TBH the whole game feels kinda random, as with the apparent (Athena-influenced?) karaoke angle, and all that bollocks with LOVABLE SINDY etc etc.

Wonderful little pick n' mix OST, was a favourite back when I used to do teh gamerips via BridgeM1, and simply firing up TEH TOOB was unheard of :shock: >Round 2 BGM's gorgeous desert melancholia always sounded Hokuto no Ken-influenced to me. >Round 3 BGM is artfully ugly, has a tribal/industrial aspect suggesting some awful scavenger race. Not a pleasant listen, more of an ambient piece.

Rounds 4, 5 and 6 form a wonderful little post-punk trilogy, easily on par with anything from ZTT themselves. Image

> Round 4 BGM So cheerful! While Zuntata tended towards weirdpop, this is just a happy little jam that's glad you showed up to listen. Very New Order circa Technique.

> Round 5 BGM Delicately grey-hued melancholic pop, could easily imagine hearing this yearning sound on an earlier Cure LP.

> Round 6 BGM Intriguing industrial soundscape, listen to the machinery chattering beneath the ephemeral lead voice.