Satazius, Armed 7 and Wolflame on Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Satazius, Armed 7 and Wolflame on Switch

Post by BrianC »

yeah. I figured it out. Full screen displays properly on the laptop, but the settings for the TV forced the game to stretch.

edit: Problem fixed when I set it to customize aspect ratio. I was trying to figure out how to get the TV to display in actual 720p (which I figured out), only to realize that 1080p actually looks better on the TV, despite it being a 4k TV. For some odd reason all of the supported settings didn't show up when I'm using the TV as a monitor. Neither does "maintain aspect ratio".
porchka66

Post by porchka66 »

Shmups Collection recently got a Patch.
Armed 7 and Satazius are now displayed in proper aspect ratio (4:3), widescreen display is now an option.
Hopefully Wolflame gets fixed in the near future too...
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Thnx for that info

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

I tried Wolflame and didn't like it very much. It feels poorly designed. The enemies with cannons that fire a fast moving projectile especially. Seems like the only option to deal with those is to just keep moving side to side.
My second video on Steam Shmups
https://youtu.be/SHYu_ETEmJE
floralcateyes

Post by floralcateyes »

A Skeleton wrote:I tried Wolflame and didn't like it very much. It feels poorly designed. The enemies with cannons that fire a fast moving projectile especially. Seems like the only option to deal with those is to just keep moving side to side.
Isn't that the case with a lot of the older verts that inspired it though? It certainly feels different from a lot of modern stuff, but I wouldn't necessarily call it poor design. I like having to be constantly on the move in, say, Hishouzame, in order to preemptively misdirect the fast bullets and compensate for my slow ship speed. It's tense and, when you're not yet familiar with the stages, it keeps you moving rather than simply waiting to see the next pattern to react to. And there's a simple pleasure to just moving a well-programmed ship from side to side.

Would've thought the checkpoint recoveries would be more contentious. Bad when I lose a life to one of those sniper cannons. Worse when I lose all my lives to the same sniper cannon because I'm underpowered and also because I ignored the usefulness of checkpoints and failed to learn anything in my impatience :oops:

Edit: in other words: don't give up, skeleton!
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

I already refunded it. But it's okay! I'm using the money on DLC for Dariusburst CS.
floralcateyes

Post by floralcateyes »

Shame. Astro Port shmups have their detractors, who see them as mediocre or middling, but I quite like them in a junk food kind of way. Super comfy stuff.

Hard to argue against most anything DBCS-related though. Wonderful game.
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

I don't hate Astro Port's games. I'm quite fond of Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser and Gigantic Army.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

A Skeleton wrote:Seems like the only option to deal with those is to just keep moving side to side.
The secret to 80s arcade shmups (and Wolflame, which gets its influence there) is to play them like a reverse rhythm game, where instead of dodging bullets you're dodging the rhythm. After a bit of play you'll pick up the tempo of how enemy shots are fired, basically the timing of enemy attacks after they enter the screen. There's a set amount of time between each attack before the next beat comes. You're not dodging on-screen bullets, you're dodging the tempo of attacks. You're not just moving side to side, you're understanding the tempo of when it's safe to move the other direction.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
velo

Post by velo »

I have been playing this collection a bit.

Armed 7 is the one that really grabbed me. The mech aesthetic is cool and it struck me as being pretty thoughtful in terms of enemy placement and bullet patterns. I cleared Normal and moved up to Hard and it seems to alter the patterns significantly. It's right on the edge of not-quite-bullet-hell, with aiming still being important and a lot of fun weapon options. I haven't played another game quite like this - maybe somebody can enlighten me as to the probable influences? I did spy the distinctive scythe pattern of Progear's level 3 boss somewhere.

I only played the first couple levels of Satazius. It makes a good first impression but it seems like purely a Konami pastiche (80%+ Gradius but also maybe Thunder Cross), without much to call its own other than its odd weapon system. Need to look into it more.

Wolflame I guess I just don't get, it's literally Raiden but boring. I'm inclined to crank up the difficulty and give it another go just because the other two games make me think there's got to be something in here. "Tate mode" is vertically squished, I don't know why they bothered, same as the godawful fake widescreen option in the other games. The presentation/ui of all these games is horrifically bad even with the latest patches. They come across like cheap flash games, I can't really blame those who write them off before giving them a fair shake.
valziman

Post by valziman »

porchka66 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:22 pm Shmups Collection recently got a Patch.
Armed 7 and Satazius are now displayed in proper aspect ratio (4:3), widescreen display is now an option.
Hopefully Wolflame gets fixed in the near future too...
I'm very late, but these are on sale now... are they fixed in the Shmup Collection or only patched individually?