Upcoming Cave mobile game for 2020

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Queen Charlene

Re: Upcoming Cave mobile game for 2020

Post by Queen Charlene »

i'm interested; the fact that they are specifically referenced as specifically an STG developer in the announcements that i've seen makes me think that this is a new shooter in the works.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Such a sadness
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Visual novel in 3, 2, 1....
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

If they can find a hit mobile game in any genre that allows them to survive and continue to have M2 or any other company port their back catalog to more consoles, then I'm all in favor. I don't think they will find that hit with a shmup though. They tried old-school premium pricing on their previous efforts and I doubt they've made much off of those. Even if they went full free-to-play, and charged for plays, coins, continues, etc, it doesn't seem like the audience is broad enough to make it work. Shmup players dedicated enough to monetize are getting their fix from bigger, better games elsewhere no matter what.

I say bring on the visual novels if it makes them money.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Acti

Post by Acti »

Mobile games are not for me. I prefer to read news, forums, etc, instead of playing games on my smartphone when killing time is a necessity.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Jonpachi wrote:I don't think they will find that hit with a shmup though.
It seems like Gothic ha Mahou Otome was actually a decent success here in Japan that is still lovingly updated to this day. I think it's a pretty weak STG, especially for Cave, but it works well as a mobile toilet shmup :lol: It's old enough that I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see them make a successor. In fact I hope they do at some point; with actual stage/boss design the single stage gacha shmup concept could work pretty well.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
GSK

Post by GSK »

What's interesting about Gomaotsu is that, as the game's gotten older and the whales have become more entrenched, they've managed to find some success in delivering more challenging/skill-dependent stages, running live in-venue score attack events, etc of the kind you'd see for a traditional STG.

They did make a followup to Gomaotsu, but not a direct successor--it was an overhead action/shooter with a faction metagame, Inoue designs, the whole bit. It wasn't bad but it didn't last long.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

CAVE really lost their way it seems