Dezatopia!! Dezatopic (HEY!! x Hanaji)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
clippa

Re: Dezatopia!! Dezatopic (HEY!! x Hanaji)

Post by clippa »

It has it's flaws, for sure, but it's a really fun ride. I think it more than makes up for them in other areas.

The hitbox being at the back of the ship is something that's still tripping me up at times. I have to really concentrate on that during the final boss fight if the rank has got high.
The game needs to make it a lot clearer when you get hit. At the minute, even hitting enemies with a charged up front shot can cause an explosion that causes the same sounds and screen effect, I often look down at my health unnecessarily to see if I need to be grabbing health items only to find my health bar is full.

I actually like how noisy it is, but particularly when you get to the tower and the rank has risen enough and things get very busy, it becomes clear that the multicoloured flashing animals that you're supposed to be grabbing being more or less the same size as the multicoloured bullets you're supposed to be avoiding was not the best design decision.

I was having fun working my way through all the routes, I've done L, and it's starting to feel like there are too many of these now so I took a break. Rather than lots of routes with repeated levels, I'd have much preferred it if everything was spread less thinly and we had 6 or so routes that were very different from each other and memorable.

I could list everything I love about the game, but I'll just say that any of it's quirks, I find charming rather than annoying or game breaking.

I've only had the screen turning black glitch once or twice and it's always been during the "Hala & Die" boss, those two curved spike things that come out of the ground and bullets come from their single eyes at the top, they look a bit like lighthouses which makes me wonder if it might be intentional rather than a glitch.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Nah, it happens elsewhere too, at least at high rank. Have seen it on Momoko and the City 4 boss for example. It tends to linger on the H&D fight though.

Throwing yourself into the chaos and managing your resources in the right way to make that not suicide is the fun of this game. I don’t think it’s really possible to play it at high rank under no bomb conditions for example. The randomness in enemies could be turned down a little and it’d make me happy but all of WTF moments are so much of why the game is a gem.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
clippa

Post by clippa »

Right, that makes sense, I've been concentrating on just getting through the different routes first and making sure my starting rank is always 100. 563 is the highest I've seen my max rank go I think so that would explain why I'm not seeing that glitch so much.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Dezatopia launches on Switch March 19th. My body is Reggie.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/dezatopia-switch/
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Special World

Post by Special World »

This game is crazy. There's so much going on and so much to experience. Tons of bosses and routes. Awesome that it has different conditions for entering the tower. Love the character designs. Game is borderline hideous but also super cool. Love the jams. Really nice game. HEY is an auteur. Think shmups are dead? Dont play it.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

This game needs some more visibility.
Grabbed it last night after the Switch release completely flew under the radar.
It has all the quirkiness of Mecha Ritz including some fantastic music and the weapon system is fun to mess around with. The usual Hey depth and the multi route approach gives it a ton of replayabilty. One of the best performing shmups on the Switch as well, not the usual lag fest. Shame Mecha Ritz got delayed as it's also fantastic.
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

How did I miss this new lovely thing???
I bought it as it was on sale recently on Steam and I am in love with how silly and strange it is.
It's a hot mess to play, but it's balanced with that in mind, and I'm thrilled with how interesting and surprising it is.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.