So what is the deal with M2 Shot Triggers? Any new games?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Koa Zo

Re: So what is the deal with M2 Shot Triggers? Any new games

Post by Koa Zo »

BurlyHeart wrote:Great stuff, thanks GSK.

Had a quick search of 'The Great Ragtime Show' as I'd never heard of it, and boy does it look interesting! For those wondering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBJaVkJdvsc
I must've only seen still images of The Great Ragtime Show. Edward Randy I'd known, and always pine for that almost Saturn port.
Having just watched 15 minutes of that video, holy crap, that is a work of art. (is that a "Trio the Punch" statue at ~7:13 ?? )
It's like a mashup between Time Pilot, Metal Slug, Harmful Park, Gunstar Heroes, and ..uh, Trigger Heart Exelica? I had to stop watching because I didn't want to spoil what comes next.
What a treat this would be to play with a deluxe presentation from M2 on our PS4 or PS5.

That hook swinging mechanic? in what other games do we see something similar?
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

GSK wrote:-M2 has the OK for The Great Ragtime Show, which was #2 on the same user questionnaire that ESPra.de topped, but it won't necessarily be the very next M2STG release
:o
Gladly received, more steampunk is what STGs need! Image
Xyga wrote:DDP would be worth under the condition they include Blue/Campaign, but since they don't have the rom anymore, well...
At least two exemplars are somewhere out there..

I believe I read somewhere that Shou has or had access to one. Might've been here even Image
Special World

Post by Special World »

Great Ragtime Show is either the best or worst thing i've ever seen. Anybody played it? Any thoughts?
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

M2 will be participating in a "Famitsu・Dengeki Game Awards 2019" livestream tomorrow on Nicovideo, 4/18 Sat. @ 18:30 JST detailing progress on their Allnet P-ras MULTI original shmup Senjin, as well as detailing plans for their upcoming M2 ShotTriggers x Toaplan titles.

https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1251088022373728257
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
ShotOfSelf

Post by ShotOfSelf »

Special World wrote:Great Ragtime Show is either the best or worst thing i've ever seen. Anybody played it? Any thoughts?
Used to play it a lot as a kid since I thought it was so cool. It's worth going through once to see all the levels, gags and hear the tunes but it's pretty slow-paced and feels like crap. Overall art design is good but nothing is fun to dodge or shoot. One of those games where you feel bad for the designer and think, "Why didn't he play Space Invaders first to see what this genre is all about?"
DrTrouserPlank wrote: I don't see how I can get any better. The reason I am not improving is because I am as good as it is possible to be.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Tokyo-J wrote:M2 will be participating in a "Famitsu・Dengeki Game Awards 2019" livestream tomorrow on Nicovideo, 4/18 Sat. @ 18:30 JST detailing progress on their Allnet P-ras MULTI original shmup Senjin, as well as detailing plans for their upcoming M2 ShotTriggers x Toaplan titles.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Tokyo-J wrote:M2 will be participating in a "Famitsu・Dengeki Game Awards 2019" livestream tomorrow on Nicovideo, 4/18 Sat. @ 18:30 JST detailing progress on their Allnet P-ras MULTI original shmup Senjin, as well as detailing plans for their upcoming M2 ShotTriggers x Toaplan titles.

At least link the original tweet: https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1251102411025866753

Anyway, here are the Toaplan games that they're working on.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Tatsujin Ou :) those are great news indeed since the only existing port was on FM Towns.
I really hope those 4 titles come bundled in a single compilation with all extra M2 features 8)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fuck yes, my two most wanted of the old (Hishouzame) and new (Out Zone). Neither have ever seen anything approaching an arcade-comparable home release. (VING's Towns Hishou is a valiant effort as usual by them, but the chopped viewable screen kills it for me)

Already happy as a clam with Toaplan Shooting Battle Vol.1's dead-on Kyuukyoku Tiger/Twin Cobra (and Tiger Heli), but just like Garegga 2016 and Deathtiny, M2 quality and zero loadtimes make those day 1 for me as well.

Between ShotTriggers and Arcade Archives, this gen has been surprisingly good for my 32bit consoles' drive motors. Image
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

BIL wrote:Fuck yes, my two most wanted of the old (Hishouzame) and new (Out Zone). Neither have ever seen anything approaching an arcade-comparable home release.
Off to a good start indeed. :D

Reasonable bosses in Tatsujin Oh? Image
Judging by previous "super easy" modes, the rest of the game might then be oddly easy though - nomen est omen for a change. Something like an Arcade+ mode that just trims some of the sharp edges and stagnation would be ideal.

A̶l̶s̶o̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶b̶e̶l̶i̶e̶v̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶h̶i̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶l̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶H̶e̶r̶e̶,̶ ̶H̶o̶r̶i̶i̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶i̶t̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶e̶n̶t̶a̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶:̶ ̶"̶B̶a̶n̶g̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶g̶"̶ ̶(̶o̶n̶o̶m̶a̶t̶o̶p̶o̶e̶i̶c̶ ̶l̶o̶c̶a̶l̶i̶z̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶h̶a̶p̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶"̶p̶e̶w̶p̶e̶w̶"̶ ̶:̶P̶)̶
edit: apparently, I misinterpreted that, thanks to mojilove for the heads up!
Last edited by 6t8k on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Awesome news, and a great start as these are four of my favourite Toaplan games!

Hopefully will be released before the end of the year :)

Anyone know whether these will be download only or getting a proper physical release?
Terramax

Post by Terramax »

Tarma wrote:Awesome news, and a great start as these are four of my favourite Toaplan games!

Hopefully will be released before the end of the year :)

Anyone know whether these will be download only or getting a proper physical release?
I`m going to take a guess that they will release them physically in Japan at the very least. They did so for Esp.Ra.De and the Darius Cozmic Collection.

This is awesome news. Now people no longer have to pay silly money to own such games. M2 are quietly becoming one of my favourite devs ever. Even if they are simply porting other works, the effort they have put into Cave and Sega games is second to none. I would love to send every member of this company of a basket of fruit.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Elixir wrote:

At least link the original tweet: https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1251102411025866753

But then YOU should link this one, right?
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1251093154603786240
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Elixir wrote:

You could always just post this info on the forum yourself like you used to :wink:
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Elixir wrote:

But then YOU should link this one, right?
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1251093154603786240
No? I saw M2's original tweet and translated it. Tokyo-J thinks it's a smart idea to copy and paste people's content word for word elsewhere without giving credit.
Tokyo-J wrote:
Elixir wrote:

You could always just post this info on the forum yourself like you used to :wink:
You could always just not steal people's content and pass it off as your own, not hard. "Just post it here so I don't have to steal it" is not the correct reaction to my reply.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
blossom

Post by blossom »

I saw M2's original tweet and translated it.
I'm honestly confused how you didn't also do what Tokyo-J did, if you translated their tweet without giving them credit.
Last edited by blossom on Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Elixir wrote:You could always just not steal people's content and pass it off as your own, not hard.
My point was that YOU don't have any right to complain, since YOU never thank, just for one example, Gosokkyu's Twitter when it's so clearly the source for so many of your posts in the recent times. Not that hard to check.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

blossom wrote:
I saw M2's original tweet and translated it.
I'm honestly confused how you didn't also do what Tokyo-J did, if you translated their tweet without giving them credit.
Give credit to who... M2?? What? The point is that it's my content being posted 1:1 without credit, not hard to understand.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Elixir wrote:You could always just not steal people's content and pass it off as your own, not hard.
My point was that YOU don't have any right to complain, since YOU never thank, just for one example, Gosokkyu's Twitter when it's so clearly the source for so many of your posts in the recent times. Not that hard to check.
No, it isn't. You do realize I can read Japanese, right? I don't take secondhand translations from people and I didn't see this person's translation of M2's tweet before tweeting about it (hell, it even has the time wrong). You do realize that multiple people on the Internet can translate something, right? There are plenty of individuals who also cross paths with the content I cover. I have every right to complain about people copying my translations word for word and posting them online without crediting them.

Really feels like language is getting in the way of communication here.

blossom

Post by blossom »

Rechecking your tweet, I'm obviously mistaken and you did include the original M2 tweet. However, there's still the issue that you're grandstanding like this is something only you could do. While devs and publishers might sometimes reach out to you for PR/giveaways/etc, which is your greatest strength, in this instance you translated someone else's tweet. Dozens(?) of people in this community know Japanese and could do the same if they had any inclination.

If this were some bit of investigative journalism and someone tried to pass it off as yours, I could empathize with the anger. Being a translation of a tweet that isn't yours, though... I don't get it.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

blossom wrote:Rechecking your tweet, I'm obviously mistaken and you did include the original M2 tweet. However, there's still the issue that you're grandstanding like this is something only you could do. While devs and publishers might sometimes reach out to you for PR/giveaways/etc, which is your greatest strength, in this instance you translated someone else's tweet. Dozens(?) of people in this community know Japanese and could do the same if they had any inclination.

If this were some bit of investigative journalism and someone tried to pass it off as yours, I could empathize with the anger. Being a translation of a tweet that isn't yours, though... I don't get it.
A translation is a translation, if I hadn't done it it wouldn't have been posted here and people who don't know Japanese wouldn't know what they were talking about (or maybe someone else would be the source, I'm not saying it has to be my content). People can obviously make translations (and are more than welcome to take the time to do so), but there's a difference between voluntarily translating something and linking to the Japanese article, and 1:1 copying something someone else has made and passing it off as their own.

This actually should not even be an argument. It should be common sense and common courtesy. I realize that this was never the forum's strong point, but I still took the time to translate and raise awareness, it takes virtually no effort whatsoever to credit the person who did.

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Translating is the smallest of the deals here. Google translate do wonders, really. Finding out the real Japanese source and doing it when it's really news is another thing altogether, and for that you've been using Gosokkyu's, like many others you never give credit to, Japanese or not. Not that hard to check, as I said.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Translating is the smallest of the deals here. Google translate do wonders, really. Finding out the real Japanese source and doing it when it's really news is another thing altogether, and for that you've been using Gosokkyu's, like many others you never give credit to, Japanese or not. Not that hard to check.
Except this is completely false. I know who they are - they're GSK on this forum, and I'm pretty sure they pay attention to the same Japanese sources that I do. Again, really feels like language is getting in the way of communication here, every one of your posts reads like it's been google translated into English. I don't need English translations when I can just read the Japanese sources and make my own.

You say it's "not hard to check"... where is your proof? Would love to know.

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

But any relevant newspost from your account I can post here with Gosokkyu or any other's equivalent post predating yours will be responded with "I didn't see this person's translation before" or something along the lines, so why bother. If anyone's interested in the matter, there's Gosokkyu's Twitter to have a look. It's not that he always does credit takayoshi and others enough either, but I don't know, at least he doesn't ask for money in his header post.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:But any relevant newspost from your account I can post here with Gosokkyu or any other's equivalent post predating yours will be responded with "I didn't see this person's translation before" or something along the lines, so why bother. If anyone's interested in the matter, there's Gosokkyu's Twitter to have a look. It's not that he always does credit takayoshi and others enough either, but I don't know, at least he doesn't ask for money in his header post.
I looked at his timeline and I see he's done similar stuff, and that's cool and all, but what does that prove? I can read the original Japanese articles, and I always link to them. I do not need someone else's English translated tweet. I can read the article and make a translation myself. I can read a Japanese tweet and make an English translation. It might not have a link, so I have to quote-retweet. I can watch and listen to a nicovideo livestream and take screenshots. Trust me buddy, I've done this for 11 years, I know how this works.

lol it really seems like you can't understand that multiple translations of a single Japanese article can exist. I am not "asking for money" - I hate to break it to you, but the Patreon was requested by multiple people, and it's more or less a meme, with all the tiers being $1. You have now devolved into a blathering idiot complaining about a pinned tweet on Twitter. Congratulations.

I barely visit this forum and if anyone wants to know why, this is precisely why.

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Elixir wrote:a blathering idiot complaining
Exactly. See you.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Exactly. See you.
Great response. When you can come up with that "proof" of your accusations, I'm all ears. If you're going to accuse someone of plagiarism, you need to provide proof, tha's how the real world works. "why bother", indeed.
Last edited by Elixir on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Do these have more of a chance of localization because there's no text to translate?
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Elixir,

I am not taking any credit for your post. I just copied it to update what is going on with M2 Shottriggers. This post on this forum I am the Original POSTER. So it is ok for me to update my post if I want to.

I linked the original Tweet from M2. So shoot me! Literally you are over reacting and seem to be going through some kind of personal crisis. I really appreciate but what you do for the scene but your superiority complex is not needed.

Example can be found here: https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr78s7
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Elixir wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Exactly. See you.
Great response. When you can come up with that "proof" of your accusations, I'm all ears. If you're going to accuse someone of plagiarism, you need to provide proof, tha's how the real world works. "why bother", indeed.
I am not trying to take credit or intentionally copying your work for any gain whatsoever.. I did not make a new thread. I updated a post I made with a question a bit ago. Getting into a spat when I was just winking and being playful you taking all of this way too seriously and letting your emotions get the best of you. Take a deep breathe relax and enjoy the scene :D
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Tokyo-J wrote:I am not taking any credit for your post. I just copied it to update what is going on with M2 Shottriggers. This post on this forum I am the Original POSTER. So it is ok for me to update my post if I want to.

I linked the original Tweet from M2. So shoot me! Literally you are over reacting and seem to be going through some kind of personal crisis. I really appreciate but what you do for the scene but your superiority complex is not needed.

Example can be found here: https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr78s7
Yes, you made the thread, but that actually has nothing to do with it. What I disputed was your post where you posted my translation; you linked to the original post M2 made but you didn't credit the person who translated it, and that was me. The sensible thing to do was to reply with "oh, sorry, my bad", not "just post your crap on the forums instead lol". Seriously, this is not hard to understand. It just shows you have a lack of empathy.

Since you feel the need to make light of a serious situation, a website I was partnered with abandoned me barely 3 weeks in, and I was not paid nor compensated in any fashion for hundreds of hours of esports work. I'm well within my right to address it. There's nothing I wrote in that twitlonger which is out of line, because it's the reality of the situation. I am not obligated to continue doing shmup news the rest of my life, this entire forum doesn't have my audience or on-topic focus. And as thrilling as it is having game developer #2534 and publisher #3445 clout chasing me for exposure, actually getting recognition myself while limited to this genre is difficult and it's a serious problem both for me, devs, publishers, and the genre as a whole.
Tokyo-J wrote:I am not trying to take credit or intentionally copying your work for any gain whatsoever.. I did not make a new thread. I updated a post I made with a question a bit ago. Getting into a spat when I was just winking and being playful you taking all of this way too seriously and letting your emotions get the best of you. Take a deep breathe relax and enjoy the scene :D
Maybe I'd be able to "relax and enjoy the scene" more if I didn't have have to put up with continual drama, like clowns claiming I'm plagiarising people's translations. Because, you know, that's a totally realistic thing to say to someone who has been doing shmup news for 11 years. You have no idea what kind of inside drama I'm subject to on a frequent basis. Don't worry though, I've been enjoying the scene for years without participating frequently on the forum and I'm glad I gave people a way to do so.