So what is the deal with M2 Shot Triggers? Any new games?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
XtraSmiley

Re: So what is the deal with M2 Shot Triggers? Any new games

Post by XtraSmiley »

iplaymyshmups wrote:
DoomsDave wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:It's all pretty awesome, but does anyone have any word on physical versions of games they already put out? Either through them direct or one of those limited production companies?

At times I double dip with digital version as it's easier to start a game and it helps M2 out with the bottom line, but I can't deny the allure of owning a physical disk/cart...
I HATE Limited Run with a passion. That Josh fellow encourages scalping and he supports the Metal Jesus crew on YouTube. I rather see M2 finally give Sorcer Striker a digital release in North America at least.
I know many feel that way, but usually for STG games you will have plenty of time to get one as long as you don't miss the day they go on sale. They are pretty good with their estimates of demand, usually.

I think he's stated that they have to pay a lot to get a batch made and can't risk overshooting or they would be out of business fast. If they didn't exist, you wouldn't have any physical versions, and I'm not really sure what is wrong with supporting the MJR crew, they seem OK?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

kid aphex wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:Show me the title screen, please.
Here you go:

https://imgur.com/a/BSNDHyb
It really does look a bit like Ikaruga... If this game is set to come out right at the end of the PS4's if it is this year, then I hope it comes out sometime this year.
Anesthetize

Post by Anesthetize »

I’ve been out of the loop for a long time now. Will ESP ra de and Ketsui ever become available again (digital or physical) or should I grab a copy from eBay asap? Would love a chance to play both outside of MAME.
Special World

Post by Special World »

They should both still be available. Check Amazon and your favored import site. I found both for standard import prices on Play-Asia and Amazon. You can check Shopncsx as well. I dunno what everyone else uses. Expect to pay ~$70 for ESPrade and $80-90 for Ketsui Deathtiny. I'm being frugal so I may just have to make do with the 360 port of Ketsui. Would really love to have the extra modes, soundtrack, and especially the training mode.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Martinov wrote:
6t8k wrote: We still need DoDonPachi and Batrider!
And the Ibaras!
At least the first one. It never had a good port. Pink Sweets wasn't to my liking at all, but it's a got a good port on 360.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Not to alarm anyone, but it looks like M2 has decided to consolidate their Twitter presence, and will be closing the M2_STG account at the end of the month:

https://twitter.com/M2_STG/status/12224 ... 07424?s=19

Their main Twitter account does reinforce that this is just a consolidation of communications, so it should not be taken as a suggestion staff working on STGs is being reduced:

https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1222 ... 82752?s=20
Special World

Post by Special World »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Martinov wrote:
6t8k wrote: We still need DoDonPachi and Batrider!
And the Ibaras!
At least the first one. It never had a good port. Pink Sweets wasn't to my liking at all, but it's a got a good port on 360.
I wouldn't say the Muchi Pink port is that great... it's a bit spartan imo. I do like what they did with the menus though.

Ed: And Pink Sweet arrange is bomb. Alright, so the port is solid!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Batrider Ibara PS4 Batrider Ibara PS4 Batrider Ibara PS4 Batrider Ibara PS4 Batrider Ibara PS4 Batrider Ibara PS4
Batrider Ibara PS4 Batrider Ibara PS4 Batrider Ibara PS4 Batrider Ibara PS4 Batrider Ibara PS4 Batrider Ibara PS4
...etc maybe if we repeat enough it will happen :P

DDP would be worth under the condition they include Blue/Campaign, but since they don't have the rom anymore, well...
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Special World

Post by Special World »

I would be happy if they could stir up a good arrange for DDP. I feel like the pressure would be high though. They could also make some changes and make it a solid 1-loop game, if that's not already a thing. Really i just want a proper DDP port.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Literally three posts above yours, this is explained. Looks like they are just consolidating.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I heard a rumor that Cave and M2 have developed a rift between them due to the ESPRaDe release - from what I've heard it's because M2 went to Atlus for working on ESPRaDe vs. Cave (who doesn't own the game, Atlus does) and this upset Cave. Maybe this explains why ESPRaDe had no special arrange modes and Cave is teaming up with CityConnection for a Deathsmiles re-release? Who knows what's true.

And who knows what the future will bring... Maybe if we're lucky, more Taito, Raizing, and hey, maybe even something crazy like Namco, Konami (better than the lackluster Arcade 50th collection), Skonec, Takumi or Naomi games... Or perhaps we should be happier that there's a future for new games and revivals like Aleste Branch and the 'mythical' Ubusuna.

An aside: I've given up entirely on Psikyo getting good ports. ZeroDiv is content to shit out low-effort mediocrity. :cry:
Special World

Post by Special World »

Wouldn't they have to go to Atlus...?

Or did Cave just want to be consulted? Anyways, that would be bad.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Cave has no interest in there games especially bringing them to modern consoles so what’s the problem with m2 doing it?cave should grow a pair and stop making shitty mobile games.if they want to make money why aren’t they pushing out new shmups or re releasing some of there ip’s,or sell there ip’s to m2,at least they give a crap!such a shame whats happened to cave,but they are still some of my favourite shmups of all time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Whatever comes next, I hope M2 considers overseas releases. If it's something like Batrider it shouldn't be that much of a problem.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

StarCreator wrote:Not to alarm anyone, but it looks like M2 has decided to consolidate their Twitter presence, and will be closing the M2_STG account at the end of the month:

https://twitter.com/M2_STG/status/12224 ... 07424?s=19

Their main Twitter account does reinforce that this is just a consolidation of communications, so it should not be taken as a suggestion staff working on STGs is being reduced:

https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1222 ... 82752?s=20
I don't know. One account was focused on STG games, the other is not.

I don't think this is a good sign for ShotTriggers releases, but then again they did say their staffing is going up?!
GSK

Post by GSK »

Short rundown:

-M2's pledged to bring Toaplan's arcade output to consoles, with no ETA & no specific suggestion that they'll be M2STG releases per se

-M2 has the OK for The Great Ragtime Show, which was #2 on the same user questionnaire that ESPra.de topped, but it won't necessarily be the very next M2STG release

-Aleste Branch is aiming for release this year, potentially pretty early but they won't hesitate to prolong development if they have to

-Ubusana is done in terms of game design but committing to full production has been slow, they've been feeling out how much it might cost, what can be done in-house vs. outsourced, how much Iuchi can personally handle by himself, etc

-Ninja Soldier isn't dead but it's not a high-priority project and it gets put on hold whenever staff are needed elsewhere

They also said, if Switch proves to be a good fit for M2STG, they'd like to port previous M2STG releases, and that they'd probably work backwards in release order (so, Ketsui, Mahou, Feveron, Garegga).
EmperorIng wrote:I heard a rumor
I wouldn't take too much stock in that rumour.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Great stuff, thanks GSK.

Had a quick search of 'The Great Ragtime Show' as I'd never heard of it, and boy does it look interesting! For those wondering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBJaVkJdvsc
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

GSK wrote:Short rundown:

-M2's pledged to bring Toaplan's arcade output to consoles, with no ETA & no specific suggestion that they'll be M2STG releases per se

-M2 has the OK for The Great Ragtime Show, which was #2 on the same user questionnaire that ESPra.de topped, but it won't necessarily be the very next M2STG release

-Aleste Branch is aiming for release this year, potentially pretty early but they won't hesitate to prolong development if they have to

-Ubusana is done in terms of game design but committing to full production has been slow, they've been feeling out how much it might cost, what can be done in-house vs. outsourced, how much Iuchi can personally handle by himself, etc

-Ninja Soldier isn't dead but it's not a high-priority project and it gets put on hold whenever staff are needed elsewhere

They also said, if Switch proves to be a good fit for M2STG, they'd like to port previous M2STG releases, and that they'd probably work backwards in release order (so, Ketsui, Mahou, Feveron, Garegga).
EmperorIng wrote:I heard a rumor
I wouldn't take too much stock in that rumour.
Awesome rundown, thank you. Do you have insider info or is this just a collection of public info? Either way, thanks again!
Special World

Post by Special World »

Loooove the thought of Ketsui on Switch.
GSK

Post by GSK »

XtraSmiley wrote:Awesome rundown, thank you. Do you have insider info or is this just a collection of public info? Either way, thanks again!
The former, mostly. They do so much work nowadays that they're always sharing news about one project or another. There's another announcement due very soon, I want to say.
BurlyHeart wrote:Great stuff, thanks GSK.

Had a quick search of 'The Great Ragtime Show' as I'd never heard of it, and boy does it look interesting! For those wondering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBJaVkJdvsc
Yeah, it's neat. It's not a super in-demand game, either--the president of M2 basically begged people to vote for it in the user questionnaire so he'd have an excuse to port it. (He did the same for Edward Randy, an action game by the same developers, and they have the rights to that game now as well.)
BIL

Post by BIL »

GSK wrote:(He did the same for Edward Randy, an action game by the same developers, and they have the rights to that game now as well.)
:shock: rad.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

GSK wrote: They also said, if Switch proves to be a good fit for M2STG, they'd like to port previous M2STG releases, and that they'd probably work backwards in release order (so, Ketsui, Mahou, Feveron, Garegga).
Ohh man I hope this ends up being the case! While I have bought all of those on my PS4 I would rebuy them instantly on the Switch just to have them on the go. Do we have any idea how well ESP Ra De Psy has been selling?
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Johnpv wrote:
GSK wrote: They also said, if Switch proves to be a good fit for M2STG, they'd like to port previous M2STG releases, and that they'd probably work backwards in release order (so, Ketsui, Mahou, Feveron, Garegga).
Ohh man I hope this ends up being the case! While I have bought all of those on my PS4 I would rebuy them instantly on the Switch just to have them on the go. Do we have any idea how well ESP Ra De Psy has been selling?
According to Famitsu sales The Switch and PS4 version did not crack the top 30.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

If we get Switch releases of Feveron and Garegga will those come west? I'd buy them to show support in the vain hope we get Ketsui here
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

M2, can you port every Shmup. No problem? Thanks!

lol
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Surely the biggest problem is the fact that these release are not across all regions!!just mind blowing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Tokyo-J wrote:
Johnpv wrote:
According to Famitsu sales The Switch and PS4 version did not crack the top 30.
That only tracks Japan though right? I feel like it did better in the West.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

XtraSmiley wrote: That only tracks Japan though right? I feel like it did better in the West.
It hasn't released in the West, so even sales from people in the West would still be tracked. Though just because it didn't break the top 30 doesn't mean it hasn't turned a profit for M2. We don't really know how many copies they need to sell to break even or make money off it. They have seemed happy on Twitter with it though.
GSK

Post by GSK »

ra.de sold fine, they're already committing to a reprint. Ketsui was reprinted something like five times.