how many shmups do you play/practice at the same time?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KodoCoto

how many shmups do you play/practice at the same time?

Post by KodoCoto »

I focus on one shmups at a time, I only move on to another once I 1cc'ed the shmups I'm focusing on.
I feel this is too slow and is considering practising multiple shmups. At the same time I think doing this will get me distracted and result in longer time taken to 1cc the shmups I targeted. Also, I only have so much time in a day.
davyK

Re: how many shmups do you play/practice at the same time?

Post by davyK »

An interesting question.

My head tells me to stick to one. But I think it isn't a bad idea to have something as a palate cleanser to stop things getting stale.

Of course any game with a practice mode can prevent boredom from early levels too.

I'm currently playing Raiden III (getting to level 7 now on 1 credit) but use 1942 as a break. They are similar games in some ways as the enemy AI/response is not dis-similar.

I don't think it would be a good idea to mix up too many mind, or to have games that are very different on the go at the same time. I suppose you could play one seriously and one casually at the same time.
DDDP

Post by DDDP »

I only practice one at a time. Probably helps to hammer in the muscle-memory, too. If I'm at the point where I enjoy practicing one shmup it isn't as though I am bored of it, so I don't see the reason to play/practice other ones.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

Usually just focus on one at a time until i get a no miss and then move to the next one. if i focus on too many, i'll get overwhelmed. if i jumped around on too many games, i'd never get any of'em done
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
BIL

Post by BIL »

With arcade stuff in general, typically I'll pair my current 1CC/score "project game" with another for simple recreation, typically an old favourite I can reliably clear, or just something novel I've wanted to check out.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Good question. when Im trying to clear a game, I typically like to mix it up in between as to not get burnt out on said game. Maybe I'll do a shmup and a platformer or whatever. Now for instance , Im playing Battle Garegga as a primary and Wild Guns Reloaded.