Batsugun thread? Batsugun thread.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Gamer707b

Re: Batsugun thread? Batsugun thread.

Post by Gamer707b »

St4rwalker wrote:I really have fallen in love with this game its just the pcb is so freakin rare and expensive...

only found 1 source and with customs i would pay like 1800 US$ :|

Is this game really that much worth nowadays?
It depends on if its worth it to you. Nobody else can dictate that. the money involved and how much enjoyment are you going to get out of it. For instance, my dream car is a 911 Porsche. Specifically a 996. Its a lot of money and right now, I don't want to spend that kind of money. Is it worth it if I have the extra money. YES it is. Will I make myself broke to have it? No way. Do you feel you will get your money's worth ? Is the $1800 going to make a difference to you? Im going the cheaper way and waiting for a M2 port to come. Got my PS4 stick, so that's good enough for me.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I believe he was asking if that is in line with the market price, not whether its objective value is that high. Batsugun is in fact priceless, etc.

St4rwalker: We have a thread for that kind of question where you will likely get a better answer.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36768
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
St4rwalker

Post by St4rwalker »

CStarFlare wrote:I believe he was asking if that is in line with the market price, not whether its objective value is that high. Batsugun is in fact priceless, etc.

St4rwalker: We have a thread for that kind of question where you will likely get a better answer.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36768
Yes market price interests me thank you.
"That’s because any rare Japanese shmup transaction that doesn’t find you waking up short a kidney in a bathtub of ice, is a bargain."
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Despatche wrote:Worst Toaplan game, worst Ikeda game. Nothing about its design makes any sense. Grind Stormer is far better in nearly every way, Donpachi is far better in nearly every way, etc.
I agree it's slightly overrated, but it was probably my favorite traditional vert on Saturn (back when I had one and a tate setup), and I can think of much worse Toaplan shmups. Namely, Hellfire. I do not like Hellfire at all.

V-V and Donpachi are better, I concur.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
Despatche wrote:Worst Toaplan game, worst Ikeda game. Nothing about its design makes any sense. Grind Stormer is far better in nearly every way, Donpachi is far better in nearly every way, etc.
I agree it's slightly overrated, but it was probably my favorite traditional vert on Saturn (back when I had one and a tate setup), and I can think of much worse Toaplan shmups. Namely, Hellfire. I do not like Hellfire at all.

V-V and Donpachi are better, I concur.
Having that hunch too (V-V is undoubtedly better; can't accurately comment about Donpachi), although not having played Batsugun recently, I can't quite put my finger on what it is... what about its design are you finding dull @Despatche?

Granted, though, I hope I'm not going out on a limb by maintaining the notion that even the worst Toaplan shmup still features some above-average qualities. 8)

I really like Hellfire, it's one of my evergreens on the MD, mainly due to the fancy directional shot system, which the stages in return are tweaked towards. For being their first hori, and the trouble they've said they had with it, I'm always amazed about how competent it turned out to be. Zero Wing, while it has a slightly better audiovisual presentation, would be my contender for the worst Toaplan shmup, however. There's so much emptiness. The homing shot does too much work for you. The fourth stage "AQUESE" is almost completely superfluous. :?

Realizing I went off on a tangent, archly finishing the post now :P
Marc

Post by Marc »

Might have to give Grind Stormer another try then, I remember bouncing off of that hard when it was included on the PS2/Xbox comps, though I can't specifically remember why.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ you're probably thinking of Taito's Grid Seeker: Project Storm Hammer, which was on PS2 & Xbox compilations. Grind Stormer has only ever gotten a necessarily compromised MD conversion, to date.
Lags

Post by Lags »

Thread ruined.
heli

Post by heli »

You should not buy that for 1800.
Are you crazy buying that ?
It might break.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

^ Avatar checks out.

Last summer this went in a cab at a shmupmeet I attended. You know you're at a shmupmeet when three people in a row sit down and get to loop 2 or 3.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I've made a conscious effort to play and clear more shmups this year, with a goal of hopefully being able to participate in the 'All Time'pPoll next year. Using the famous STG difficulty ranking (link in my sig), I decided to begin with Batsugun Special Version and started playing last night (Type B).

Had a lot of fun. The game has a lenient difficulty curve and the first couple of stages are easy. The stage 2 boss (Madzella - interesting name!) is the first real roadblock, but I can no miss her now more than not (usually using 1 bomb when her second phase flies to the bottom of the screen).

Stage 3 requires more alertness but again not too bad. The stage 3 boss (Mad Steel Darkness - another cool game!) requires practice but not overly difficult. There is some slow down here in the emulation (when the circular spinning things on the side shoot candy blue bullets that can be destroyed by your shot), and I'm wondering if this is the same in the original?

Didn't spend a lot of time with Stage 4, but it again seems very doable.

Haven't read the strategy guide as yet, but I will surely do so (found here --> viewtopic.php?t=142).
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

BurlyHeart wrote:There is some slow down here in the emulation (when the circular spinning things on the side shoot candy blue bullets that can be destroyed by your shot), and I'm wondering if this is the same in the original?
Usually with these older 68k-based PCBs, MAME is pretty accurate as far as that goes.

IIRC the Saturn port had no slowdown at all (or very little).
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Got the 1ALL on the Special Version. I could no miss every section in save state practice, but was always doing something stupid in full runs, even in my Round 1 clear. Had zero lives left entering the last stage, but managed to squeak it out. Stage 4 definitely seems the hardest, as does its boss, but of course it just takes a bit of practice and learning where to be.

I can see why the Special Version is recommended to beginners. It's a fun game, and while I did find Beltiana's screen-covering shot hard on my ever-aging eyes, the game does something not many skill-based games do - it caters to all levels. People like me can be happy with their 1ALL.While a counter stop 4ALL is available for those at the other end of the skill spectrum.

Have no chance getting a 4ALL, but I might try tidy up Round 1 and get a better score, including learning to milk Jupiter.
OmegaFlareX wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:There is some slow down here in the emulation (when the circular spinning things on the side shoot candy blue bullets that can be destroyed by your shot), and I'm wondering if this is the same in the original?
Usually with these older 68k-based PCBs, MAME is pretty accurate as far as that goes.

IIRC the Saturn port had no slowdown at all (or very little).
It's actually less noticeable to me now, possibly because I've improved and am killing the boss quicker.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Lags

Post by Lags »

BurlyHeart wrote:Got the 1ALL on the Special Version.
Good job.
Why not try original Batsugun? It's much easier on the eyes, more classic gameplay. And should be more satisfying to clear for a beginner than 1loop of Special.
heli

Post by heli »

If i play this game i also play thunderforceV, lets wait some more.

2020 : batsugun.
2021 thunderforceV please
2022 mars matrix at least.

Hurry M2 i pay 80 each no problem.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Lags wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:Got the 1ALL on the Special Version.
Good job.
Why not try original Batsugun? It's much easier on the eyes, more classic gameplay. And should be more satisfying to clear for a beginner than 1loop of Special.
Thanks. It's definitely on my list.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
heli

Post by heli »

No news on a release date for this year ?
Cant wait for this game.

Good thing PS5 will be backward compatible.
Master O

Post by Master O »

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/batsugun/

I had no idea there was a Batsugun manga. Has it ever been translated?
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Despatche wrote:Worst Toaplan game
Is your brain repressing memories of Tiger-Heli?
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
heli

Post by heli »

Any news for the PS4 version ?
Tomorrow its december, i have 80 euro and like to spend it.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

absolutely 0 about any of the toaplan ports. You won't see them this year. Maybe late next year, if I had to guess.

The next one on the horizon is M2's Aleste collection (four 8bit Aleste games), which is supposed to be due in December.
Matsunaga

Post by Matsunaga »

Batsugun is awesome. I’ve gotten to Jupiter on the second loop, I think with some more practice I could get farther. Going for a good score is fun too.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Love underwater themed games to

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I was this >< close to splashing out on the Saturn version as a self-Christmas present in December. Luckily I found out the other day M2 wants to port every Toaplan game. I'm more than happy to wait.
LOLLO

Post by LOLLO »

Madzella is soooo easy once you get the patterns down. I used to 1 bomb it and it was ok, until i realized it’s super easy to no bomb it without a single hard dodge. Just gotta have a good route.

Jupiter is the easiest boss in the game if you get to the end phase with 2 bombs. Shit’s full of safe spots.

Final boss can also be done super easy with 2 bombs and brainlessly easy with 3. Literally dies in 15 seconds if you know what you’re doing

Special Loop 1 can be 1CCed even by bad players honestly and loop 2 is only moderately hard. Loop 3 starts getting serious but it can also be done with good routing. Loop 4 is where the shit hits the fan and even with a perfect route you will have to do multiple clutch dodges.

Then again I played the shit out of both normal and special.

Currently working on a counterstop, highest recorded replay I have is 95m, hope to make it one of these days.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

But the whole point of bombs is to die with all of them though, hoarding them like a dragon with it's cave of treasures.

IMO, Jupiter is the wall in Batsugun. If you can beat that boss then a 1CC is inevitable with a little perseverance. Also, Batsugun rocks so much. I'm not a huge fan of most of Toaplan's output, but Batusgun is their magnum opus. It's one of those things where it's hard to quantify exactly, but the game is more than the sum of its parts. The music rocks, the graphics rock, the stage layouts rock, the game play rocks... all of it is really good, and all of that combines to make something even better that kicks so much ass.
donluca

Post by donluca »

To Far Away Times wrote:But the whole point of bombs is to die with all of them though, hoarding them like a dragon with it's cave of treasures.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^
heli

Post by heli »

No bomb = LEVEL UP
LOLLO

Post by LOLLO »

heli wrote:No bomb = LEVEL UP
Last phase of Jupiter is the only thing I’d consider really hard in a no-bomb run
Master O

Post by Master O »

Just so you guys know, Fightcade 2 recently added a lobby for Batsugun - Special Version, for those of you who like coop shmups.