*Xenocide Updates*

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Thanks rolins, good find! I haven't chacked them all of course, I will investigate that database later.
X - P - B
overdrive

Post by overdrive »

Here's a blast from the past, as a game I owned once upon a time.

Atari 7800
Desert Falcon (Atari, 1987): Take Zaxxon and put it in an Egyptian world.
www.honestgamers.com
Come....join.....stay forever......
Rev. Stuart Campbell

Re: *Xenocide Updates*

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell »

Turrican wrote: * Atari Jaguar

Defender 2000
Raiden
Tempest 2000
Um, where might this mythical Jaguar section be located, then?
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

I have a few...

32X

Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000- An isometric shmup ala Viewpoint that uses blocky polygonal enemies. Not a bad game once you get the hang of the power ups and learn which enemies give the more powerful ones. Very much a shmup.

Also, it's time to add a new system so it can get a little love too...

Atari XE

Desert Falcon- Like Zaxxon, but set in Egypt, and you you're a falcon. A strange, but oddly addictive power up system of collecting three random hieroglyphs in hopes of gaining a power up. There are an absolutely massive amount of combinations, thanks to there being a healthy number of different hieroglyphs.

ThunderFox- A weird shmup. It's drawn as a top view, but it scrolls horizontally. No power ups really, just guns and a bomb-like weapon. You can change direction (it's needed in spots really), and there is actually an end after five levels (if I recall correctly). It's got a pretty cool opening song too.

Dreadnaught Factor- Very simple. An endless wave of increasingly tougher battleships. Set up in a top view perspective.

Zone Rangers- Kind of a Sinistar knock off. Top view, fly anywhere. This one's a bit questionable as to whether or not it's a shmup. Depends on if you consider Sinistar to be one I guess.

Defender- Duh.
Last edited by The Coop on Thu May 04, 2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Edit: Don't know what the hell happened. Could have sworn I clicked on "edit", not quote.
Last edited by The Coop on Thu May 04, 2006 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turrican

Re: *Xenocide Updates*

Post by Turrican »

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Um, where might this mythical Jaguar section be located, then?
Anywhere but on this thread, I'm afraid. The Xenocide files didn't cover many platforms in the beginning. We're trying to fix this.
X - P - B
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Since I'm pretty familiar with the Amiga scene I think I can come up with some great shmups that only went around as PD games - mainly distributed thru the PD scene, compilation scene (handled and spread by hacker, non-hacker and private organizations) and magazines like Amiga One, Amiga Power, Amiga Life and so on.
Some of them are AMOS-compiled games that shouldn't of course be listed, but many others are perfectly programmed and quite well known because of their distribution thru major magazines, but reached every corner of Europe I'm sure.
My question is - should they be listed? It's a shame to leave them out. Even though I'm afraid I know the answer :?
Alas, Ikaruga is going...

Undesired, unwanted them...
What makes them go?
malc
Site Admin

eeek

Post by malc »

erm - phew - you lot have been busy havent you? I better get me finger out. I would let somebody else do it but I really like updating me site when I have time - I know, I havent had time for aaaaaaages. this work hasnt gone unnoticed - its now in me to do list..... malc
system11

Post by system11 »

Fenrir wrote:Some of them are AMOS-compiled games that shouldn't of course be listed
Why? If you're listing one, you should probably list the other. A whole bunch of PC games are written in Visual Basic, Blitz, and so on. Same thing.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

bloodflowers wrote:
Fenrir wrote:Some of them are AMOS-compiled games that shouldn't of course be listed
Why? If you're listing one, you should probably list the other. A whole bunch of PC games are written in Visual Basic, Blitz, and so on. Same thing.
Well, I tend to agree with you, but there should be a limit to that - there probably are hundreds of AMOS shmups developed by amateurs that never hit the market or were simply distributed within standalone local PD compilations in the Paris area or Berlin or Rome... you know the stuff, like there probably are dozens of good (and complete!) shmups created with SHMUCK that can't obviously be listed. There should be a limit, like "AMOS shmups are OK only if they've been distributed by major magazines or something equivalent (quote source)"... because being featured in an Amiga Power PD disk is like being distributed by a small software house or stgh ;)
Alas, Ikaruga is going...

Undesired, unwanted them...
What makes them go?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Fenrir wrote:Since I'm pretty familiar with the Amiga scene I think I can come up with some great shmups that only went around as PD games - mainly distributed thru the PD scene, compilation scene (handled and spread by hacker, non-hacker and private organizations) and magazines like Amiga One, Amiga Power, Amiga Life and so on.
Good call. I remember a very interesting game called Blaster given away as a coverdisk with The One Amiga. It may have been the fastest shmup ever, with one of the powerups accellerating the on-screen action to an absolutely ridiculous speed. It would be worth mentioning for this fact alone.
Fenrir wrote:SHMUCK
SEUCK. Oh wait.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

There's a rather large thread for Under Defeat on the Dreamcast, but I don't see it on the first post or on the Xenocide Files page. Figured I bring it up in case it's been forgotten about.

Also, Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 plays nothing like Zaxxon. Instead, plays very much like Viewpoint, as your ship stays on the isometric ground for 90% of the game. The only time it leaves the ground is when you hop (yes, your ship can jump) onto an enemy to take their weaponry. As such, I'm not sure why the comment about Zaxxon's legitimacy as a shmup is there. This game is related to Zaxxon in name only.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Here are the few I remember...

SNES:

Pocky & Rocky / Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto - Natsume 1993
Pocky & Rocky 2 / Kiki Kaikai: Tsukiyozoushi - Natsume 1994
Space Invaders - Taito 1994

Virtual Boy:

Space Invaders: Virtual Collection - Taito 1995
Vertical Force - Hudson 1995

And where are MERCS and Commando, I wonder? They're certainly much more 'shmuppy' then Cybernator...
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Also, I'm REALLY sure that Ray Crisis and/or Ray Storm got a release on PC.
rolins

Post by rolins »

MSX:
Frontline (Taito)
Marine Battle (Ascii)
Mars II (Nagi-P Soft)
Moon Patrol (Dempa)
Zaider - Battle of Peguss (Cosmos Computer)

PC Windows:
Daikaisen (Compile DiscStation vol. 15)
http://www.puyo.org/cache/www.compile.c ... aisen.html
rolins

Post by rolins »

NEC PC-88:

Thunderforce (Techno Soft)
Thunderforce SR (Techno Soft)
Formation Z (Nihon Dexter)
Grodius 3 (--)
Gulcrisis (A-Project Dream 7)
1942 (Ascii)
S-Type (Satan Doll)
A.E. (Comptiq)
Final Crisis (Techno Grard)
Fire Hawk (Game Arts)
Thexder (Game Arts)
Gradius (konami)
Herzog (Techno Soft)
Macross (Bothtec)
Volguard (DB-Soft)
Xevious (Enix)
Z Gundam (Bandai)
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

The Coop wrote:Also, Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 plays nothing like Zaxxon.
AKA, ParaSquad on the Super 32X in Japan.
rolins

Post by rolins »

NEC PC-88:

Gamma 5 (Kure Software Koubou)
Luxor: Nights Over Egypt (Telenet)
Slipheed: Super DogFighter (Game Arts)

Fujitsu FM-Towns/Marty:

Raiden Densetsu
Flying Shark (Ving)
Rayxanber (Datawest)

Fujitsu FM-77 AV:

Laydock (T & E Soft)

Sharp X68000:

Granada (Wolf Team)
Galseed (Login-So Soft)
Laydock (T & E Soft)
Mahodaisakusen (Electronic Arts/Raizing)
Rayer Shoot (TMK)
Sol-Feace (Wolf Team)
Zugya (Sprite)
Quarth (Konami)
Edge

Post by Edge »

Game Boy:
-Space Invaders (1994, Taito)
-Volley Fire (1990, Toei Animation)

PC:
-Dan! Da! Dan! (2005, Omega) freeware game
-Laser Hawks (2000, Jason Chong)
-Warning Forever (2004,2005, Hikware) freeware game

If we count PC freeware shmups, do games of indie competitions count too? See this site for example:
http://shmup-dev.com/hcontest/

Also freeware shmups on PC should maybe be listed seperately.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Edge wrote:Also freeware shmups on PC should maybe be listed seperately.
Well, there's already quite a comprehensive list of PC shmups over at Shoot The Core!
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

This one just popped up in a For Sale thread here, and henceforth I don't think I've seen it mentioned here, so I figured I'd toss it up...

G-Stream 2020 (2002, Oriental Soft)

Should go under the Arcade section.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Updated.

I'll take Ghegs suggestion and keep the list commercial only. Freeware/doujin scene is already so big that it's probably best to keep fields separed for the sake of comprehension.

Also, I didn't include Pocky & Rocky because they don't quite fit the shmup criteria, but are closer relatives to Mercs, imho.

Again, with the most obscure platforms like the Nec-88 I'm just doing a copy/paste job, thanks to rolins and everyone else.

You know, when Malc will update the Xenocide, we could probably ask him to create two versions of the list: text-only, and with a "double-barrel" screenshots that shows for each game the title and an in-game screen. That would be neat, what do you think?

To see an example of game database with double-barrel screenshots:
hol.abime.net
X - P - B
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Sorry I didn't find these before now, but I thought they might be worth mentioning, though both are "hybrids" of sorts...

First, for the Saturn and PS1...

Tsukkai! Slot Shooting (1996, BMG Interactive Entertainment (SAT), Shoeisha (PS1))

As mentioned earlier, it is a hybrid of sorts...here is a video on YouTube of it, if you want a look to assist in your decision of whether or not to add it.

Also, for the PS1 only...

Calcolo (1997, Clef)

Another "puzzle 'em up," I know little about this one, and info is scarce...I think one or two people on the forum have played it (GP has it listed on his site), maybe they could offer more info on exactly how "shooty" it is.
Last edited by BulletMagnet on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Thanks for the vid link BM, I've been interested in that one but it doesn't look that good...and the sound effect, argh
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Heh, I was actually just putzing around on YT and stumbled upon that thing, it was the first I'd ever heard of it. Wonder how the heck it actually works...
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

LOL, well, after all it seems like a take on Space Invaders with a complex score system, so why not. :lol:

But I'd like to hear the opinion of other forum members on it. After all, I was to exclude Quarth from Xenocides...
X - P - B
JBC

Post by JBC »

You know... i love everything about the website and forum... except i really can't stand the word 'xenocide'. It makes me roll my eyes. On the other hand... i love the word 'shmup' which i've heard alot of people dislike.
Godzilla was an inside job
rolins

Post by rolins »

MSX:
Darwin 4078 (Hudson Soft)
Dragon King (Xain)
Mirai (aka Future) (Xain)
rolins

Post by rolins »

FM-Towns:

Image Fight
Kyukyoku Tiger