Jamestown plus is now on Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BazookaBen

Jamestown plus is now on Steam

Post by BazookaBen »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/377950/Jamestown/

With a 53% discount on top of the early-bird 17% discount. So you pay about $4.60 for two new levels, some new ships.

I think they screwed up the music though, it definitely sounds compressed compared to the original. I think they weren't conducting enough QC when adding in a 5.1 surround mode. Let me know what you guys think
MathU

Re: Jamestown plus is now on Steam

Post by MathU »

So apparently this has DRM... even though the original version of Jamestown was available DRM-free? Is that actually correct? Are Final Form Games are bunch of anti-consumer sellouts? Should we expect a way to buy what is essentially DLC to the original game and play this without Steam at some point?

Or better yet, they could just give it out for free to owners of the DRM-free original Jamestown, as compensation for them putting up with years of silence and unfixed bugs left in the game while the developers ran away to focus on console development. And of course, this DLC is only for the Windows version of the game. Naturally, Linux users can languish with their years of unfixed bugs into perpetuity.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
auryn

Post by auryn »

I owned the original and this new version is well worth the 4-ish euro/dollars update price. The new levels are especially well done, the art and animation is actually a cut above what was in the original. Makes you wonder what a Jamestown II - The Moons of Jupiter would be like... onward and upward I say!

BTW does anyone know if there's a secret boss or something at the end of the 2nd new level? The story seems to hint at something there.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Can anyone confirm if JT+ indeed has online DRM? Seems like a very headass decision if true.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

A few people on Steam forums brought up the issue with the music quality and the developer said they're aware and it's something they really want to fix, but it might take a while. So that's good to hear.
auryn

Post by auryn »

BazookaBen wrote:A few people on Steam forums brought up the issue with the music quality and the developer said they're aware and it's something they really want to fix, but it might take a while. So that's good to hear.
I didn't actually notice anything wrong with the music, and I'm a (part time) sound designer so I'm usually quite sensitive to that sort of thing. Maybe it's a problem with some kind of sound card setting? Music is definitely one of the highlights of the game though, so I hope they figure it out.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

auryn wrote: I didn't actually notice anything wrong with the music, and I'm a (part time) sound designer so I'm usually quite sensitive to that sort of thing. Maybe it's a problem with some kind of sound card setting? Music is definitely one of the highlights of the game though, so I hope they figure it out.
Install the original version of Jamestown for comparison and you'll notice instantly. The first notes on the opening screen of Jamestown Plus have noticeable compression artifiacts
auryn

Post by auryn »

Hmmm yeah so you're right, I played them back to back and they're definitely different. It's like the high frequencies have been rolled off. When you say artifacts I expected something like glitches or warbles that you'd get on a low quality MP3 but it's more like a general reduction in fidelity. Well spotted! It certainly did not jump out at me. I hope they fix it.