Toaplan games getting console ports by M2 in 2020

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sumez

Re: Toaplan games getting console ports by M2 in 2020

Post by Sumez »

They could luck right into Omega Fighter, which wouldn't be a bad alternative.
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

Marc wrote:
FRO wrote:
heli wrote:Those spammers limited run games are located in USA, i prefer SLG from germany.

Batsugun is a very nice game, the others you mentioned are more of the 16-bit type, cant ask 60 euro for those.
Sure you can, if the port is meticulous, includes practice modes and is feature rich, and includes other things, like an alternate OST, or new modes, or possibly console version(s) as a bonus. I would gladly pay a premium price for a premium port that gives us the kind of accuracy that will allow me to play the game in an essentially arcade perfect manner, while also including the quality of life features that make learning these games much more efficient.
You can, but good luck selling more than ten copies of them.
At that price point, anyone that isn't reallyinto their shooters is going to scroll right on by, and purchase one of the similar-looking Arcade Archive shooters at a tenth of the price.
Unfortunately this is the truth. You can't excpect that the few of the hardcore players/collectors alone justify the production costs and labor time put onto a project like that.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Marc wrote:
FRO wrote:
heli wrote:Those spammers limited run games are located in USA, i prefer SLG from germany.

Batsugun is a very nice game, the others you mentioned are more of the 16-bit type, cant ask 60 euro for those.
Sure you can, if the port is meticulous, includes practice modes and is feature rich, and includes other things, like an alternate OST, or new modes, or possibly console version(s) as a bonus. I would gladly pay a premium price for a premium port that gives us the kind of accuracy that will allow me to play the game in an essentially arcade perfect manner, while also including the quality of life features that make learning these games much more efficient.
You can, but good luck selling more than ten copies of them.
At that price point, anyone that isn't reallyinto their shooters is going to scroll right on by, and purchase one of the similar-looking Arcade Archive shooters at a tenth of the price.
Well, the financial argument is for sure that collections like the Psikyo ones probably sell 10s if not 100s of thousands more than the M2 ShotTrigger games. But, that doesn't mean the M2 versions don't sell anything. They had to re-order their last two physical versions because they sold through on PS4. That's a good, no great, sign.

Not every creator wants to just sell a lot of stuff. Some want to do more. That's the difference between Psikyo and M2 in this example. Will they sell less this way? Probably, but M2 strikes me as a company that does what they do for the love of it, not JUST for the money.
CRP

Post by CRP »

XtraSmiley wrote: Not every creator wants to just sell a lot of stuff. Some want to do more. That's the difference between Psikyo and M2 in this example. Will they sell less this way? Probably, but M2 strikes me as a company that does what they do for the love of it, not JUST for the money.
They also released Battle Garegga premium edi. with download code . I rather have just have a cart and not bunch of extra stuff.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%90%E3%8 ... B01LZ3UEUR
SAM

Post by SAM »

Anyone know what is the extra for PS4 Battle Garegga premium edi. ?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
CRP

Post by CRP »

SAM wrote:Anyone know what is the extra for PS4 Battle Garegga premium edi. ?
check the link above for pic's
Marc

Post by Marc »

XtraSmiley wrote:
Well, the financial argument is for sure that collections like the Psikyo ones probably sell 10s if not 100s of thousands more than the M2 ShotTrigger games. But, that doesn't mean the M2 versions don't sell anything. They had to re-order their last two physical versions because they sold through on PS4. That's a good, no great, sign.

Not every creator wants to just sell a lot of stuff. Some want to do more. That's the difference between Psikyo and M2 in this example. Will they sell less this way? Probably, but M2 strikes me as a company that does what they do for the love of it, not JUST for the money.
I hear you, but the AGES Switch ports are usually more than just a rom/emulator job, and they still go for not much more than the ACA releases.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Sorry, yes what I meant by "extras" isn't physical stuff, I meant more than just an emulator running the ROM. Extras such as widgets, new modes, new art, new difficulty levels, trophies, leaderboards, etc.

I don't mind having a cart/CD physically, but new game modes are more important to me.

What makes the least sense to me is physical versions of just ROMs and an emulator.
versionfiv

Post by versionfiv »

Batsugun is one of my favorite shmups, glad to hear it.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

A slightly adapted* version of Kyuukyoku Tiger will be l̶o̶c̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶-̶t̶e̶s̶t̶e̶d̶ field-tested at Taito Hey for the period from Aug 13. to Aug 26. (source)
Gameplay will also be livestreamed at Hey's Niconico presence.

* The game automatically ends after stage 10 is cleared
* There's a time limit for the bosses of stage 5 and stage 10
JohnR1900

Post by JohnR1900 »

With Batsugun, is the Saturn version (Saturn / Special mode?) graphically or gameplay improved from the arcade version?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Just to clarify, Batsugun and Batsugun Special are individual arcade games. The Saturn disc contains straight conversions of both, there's no "Saturn mode" per se.

Technically, the Saturn disc may be a slight downgrade for high-scorer purposes, due to lessened slowdown. The Jupiter tank milk runs a lot faster on Saturn, IIRC. On the other hand, for more casual/survival play, that might be a plus. :smile: Generally speaking, it plays great.
JohnR1900

Post by JohnR1900 »

BIL wrote:Just to clarify, Batsugun and Batsugun Special are individual arcade games. The Saturn disc contains straight conversions of both, there's no "Saturn mode" per se.

Technically, the Saturn disc may be a slight downgrade for high-scorer purposes, due to lessened slowdown. The Jupiter tank milk runs a lot faster on Saturn, IIRC. On the other hand, for more casual/survival play, that might be a plus. :smile: Generally speaking, it plays great.
Ah, nevermind. I thought it was like Hyper Duel, which on Saturn has a port of the arcade and a special Saturn mode with enhanced, touched up background and sprite work done by technosoft.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Well, Batsugun Special does feature a different color palette and different gameplay from standard Batsugun, if that's what you're getting at. But whether it's better lies in the eye of the beholder I'd say (both are great in their own right). :)
heli

Post by heli »

BIL wrote:Technically, the Saturn disc may be a slight downgrade for high-scorer purposes, due to lessened slowdown.
That is bad news i dont like extra slowdown, i,m used to saturn.
M2 always make the slowdown accurate as possible, instead they make it a option and possibility for full-speed would be better.
Look at the PS4 megaman 1 to 6, it has all the exact slowdown and NES quircks, why ?, and no option for without slowdown.

Dodonpachi for PS1 run better, i like it, only for this game i need slowdown, someone made slowdown a button because else to difficult.
Really i hate slowdown, i hope it is not very bad, i have money reserved for batsugun.
heli

Post by heli »

One more thing, i just play the arcade version from batsugun on mame and i found something out :
the audio is better on saturn then the arcade version, the music stops on some tracks when other sounds play,
sounds cancel eachother, not enough channels.

If M2 really copy this crap i,m not buying it.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

heli wrote:One more thing, i just play the arcade version from batsugun on mame and i found something out :
the audio is better on saturn then the arcade version, the music stops on some tracks when other sounds play,

The music on the Saturn port of Batsugun is redbook digital audio (both the original and remix soundtracks) and the sound effects are handled by the Saturn's onboard audio processor (which has a ridiculous number of PCM audio channels... something like 32 IIRC). None of ToaPlan's arcade audio hardware comes even close to this arrangement.

That said, when M2 converted TFIV for the Sega Ages release, they added an option that allows players to prevent the voice from cutting out the music (which is what happens when you play the game on original MD/Genesis hardware). The Saturn port of TFIV on Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 simply moved the voice to a dedicated channel so it doesn't cut into the music.. but it's always enabled. So given their treatment of TFIV, I think M2 will probably have some sort of audio option available to help prevent sound effects from cutting into the music if that's what the player prefers.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Kiken wrote:The Saturn port of TFIV on Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 simply moved the voice to a dedicated channel so it doesn't cut into the music.. but it's always enabled.
Yeah that's because musics are stored as audio bitstream files (mono IIRC) on the disc, so it's a bit like redbook tracks from the perpective of muxing the sound effects with it.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
heli

Post by heli »

Those megaman games on PS4 M2 made are exactly like played on a NES.
Really bad.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

heli wrote:Those megaman games on PS4 M2 made are exactly like played on a NES.
Really bad.
M2 didn't do any of the MM NES emulations. They were partially involved with the recent Mega Man X collection (a new mode rather than the emulation), but the collection was still mostly done by Capcom.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Check out Megaman Zero/ZX collection. Its a true port rather than emulation. Slowdown is removed and there's no input lag. This is pretty rare these days since emulation is the standard and ports are very labor intensive.

Also check out Raiden Fighters Aces back on the 360. Its a true console port by Gulti. They fixed the horrible looking sprite flicker that happens at times on the PCBs. The screen sizing and scanline filter options are better than what M2 does these days.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Rastan78 wrote:Check out Megaman Zero/ZX collection. Its a true port rather than emulation. Slowdown is removed and there's no input lag. This is pretty rare these days since emulation is the standard and ports are very labor intensive.
I have it for PC and they seem to be nice ports. AFAIK, M2 wasn't involved with any ports or emulation of the NES Mega Man games. Digital Eclipse handled the first Mega Man Anniversary collection on PS4/PC/Switch/Xbox1/3DS, which was known for adding extra input lag in some versions and initially being very buggy.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah they're definitely by digital eclipse. Those guys are not up to the level of M2 or even Hamster.

So glad to see M2 doing the Toaplan games. I was actually wishing for this to become a reality years ago. Also I had hoped they would do Garegga as I used to own the PCB years ago and sold it. So maybe I have a hidden superpower!?

Would love to see them do the Ray Force series after they get done with G Darius HD.
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

Rastan78 wrote:Also check out Raiden Fighters Aces back on the 360.
Easier said than done. Wish I could, without getting cornholed by some ebayhoardtwat.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Kiken wrote:
heli wrote:One more thing, i just play the arcade version from batsugun on mame and i found something out :

The music on the Saturn port of Batsugun is redbook digital audio (both the original and remix soundtracks) and the sound effects are handled by the Saturn's onboard audio processor (which has a ridiculous number of PCM audio channels... something like 32 IIRC). None of ToaPlan's arcade audio hardware comes even close to this arrangement.

That said, when M2 converted TFIV for the Sega Ages release, they added an option that allows players to prevent the voice from cutting out the music (which is what happens when you play the game on original MD/Genesis hardware). The Saturn port of TFIV on Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 simply moved the voice to a dedicated channel so it doesn't cut into the music.. but it's always enabled. So given their treatment of TFIV, I think M2 will probably have some sort of audio option available to help prevent sound effects from cutting into the music if that's what the player prefers.
I'm hoping that, when M2 gets around to their Batsugun port, that they include an approximation of the Saturn arrangement in the game, including the arranged soundtrack. Seems like a gimme, but I don't know that it's a lock.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Stevas wrote:
Easier said than done. Wish I could, without getting cornholed by some ebayhoardtwat.
Ah that sucks. I didnt realize it got expensive. I know it was released digitally, but i assume its been delisted. Hope I have my old copy laying around somewhere.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Why are old used stg games so expensive, but yet there's no market for new ones?
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

Stevas wrote:
I was about to reply saying it isn't that expensive, as I bought a "like new" copy w/manual last year for around $20 on Ebay, but I just checked again today and holy crap the price has at least doubled since then. That's strange because it has been delisted for a long time now...

Anyways, back on topic... I love Batsugun and am pumped for a potential port by the M2 team!
heli

Post by heli »

I hope M2 already downloaded the ROM file.
Waiting takes to long.
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

Well, you know, there's also the fact the PAL release never happened, and we were strung along for a while thinking we were still getting it before some bullshit blah shenanigans etc I can't even be arsed to finish this