Thinking of selling my PS4..

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
RagingAvatar

Thinking of selling my PS4..

Post by RagingAvatar »

There are only a handful of games I care about on it as I'm mainly an Xbox guy..
But I look at Ketsui (have that) and Esp Ra.De (ordered for Switch but man, I bet the PS4 version is better..) and I wonder, would I regret getting rid of it?

Help me out guys, what shooters am I missing out on on PS4?
XB GT: RagingAvatar
BIL

Re: Thinking of selling my PS4..

Post by BIL »

Depending on how into 80s STG luminaries you are, there's a lot of good stuff on Arcade Archives. Mostly Konami, IREM and Taito, plus a bunch of Neo Geo titles, but there's gems from smaller devs like Nichibutsu and UPL, too. They also seem to be gradually moving into the 90s with In The Hunt and the upcoming Detana Twinbee, which could open up a lot of previously unported stuff (I'm hopeful for R-Type Leo, Mystic Riders and XEXEX).

Many of these are also on Switch, Xbox and Windows, but PS4 consistently gets them first, and still holds a few exclusives.
Spoiler
A-JAX
Darius (includes Darius Extra)
Gradius
Gradius II
Image Fight
In The Hunt
Kiki Kaikai
Moon Patrol
Omega Fighter (includes Omega Fighter Special)
Salamander (includes Life Force US and JP)
Terra Cresta
Thunder Cross
Twinbee
X-Multiply

Blazing Star
Last Resort
Pulstar
Sonic Wings 2
Sonic Wings 3
Strikers 1945 Plus
^ all of those are in excellent form. There's others too (Moon Cresta is supposed to be pretty popular?), but I've not tried them personally. Strikers 1945 Plus had slowdown issues but was quickly patched, seems ok now. I don't typically sell stuff on (amateur home conversion archaeologist), but I've since retired my old PS1 Gradius Deluxe Pack and Arcade Gears: Image Fight & X-Multiply discs. I hope they get around to R-Type I & II sometime so I can retire R-Types, too.

There's a ton of STG-adjacent hardcore gaming that'll interest shooter fans, too. I'll personally recommend the following:
Spoiler
Bombjack
Bubble Bobble
Double Dragon II
Ikari
Metal Slug
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 3
NAM-1975
Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja-kun II: Ashura no Shou
Ninja Spirit (as Saigo no Nindou)
Rygar
Shock Troopers
Solomon's Key
Vigilante
VS. Castlevania
Again there's a lot more, just haven't had the time to thoroughly test them (Elevator Action is looking excellent from the few credits I played). I picked up a PS4 specifically for Shottriggers, Wild Guns Reloaded and The Ninja Warriors Once Again, knowing I'd get hundreds of hours out of each individual title, but it's proven a surprisingly versatile arcade emulation box. Between M2, Natsume and ACA, it's an excellent machine to have around.
Last edited by BIL on Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

I couldn't have put it any better than what BIL has stated.

That's a great list of games, I sold a PS4 a while back , quickly regretted it and purchased another one..Am enjoying so many games and not just the shmups..

PSN store had Tomb Raider Definitive Edition for £4 ( it's up in price again). One of the best games I've played in a long time
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

I don't think these current gen consoles are that expensive that many couldn't own all of them, even just for few selected games (if you have the space for them that is). I have all of them plus more.

From shmups perspective, PS4 and Switch of course are the best from current generation and personally I would keep PS4 just for the M2 shot triggers stuff, Nex Machina, Dariusburst and the like, which Switch do not have (yet at least).
digitron

Post by digitron »

Don't sell your old consoles, I did and regretted it..If you keep your PS4 just for M2 ports its 100% worth it!
pbsk8

Post by pbsk8 »

digitron wrote:Don't sell your old consoles, I did and regretted it..If you keep your PS4 just for M2 ports its 100% worth it!
so far only 5 games were released under M2ST right?

Since ps5 will be retrocompatible with ps4, I am sure they will continue to release it on next gen console, for this matter I dont think is mandatory to keep a ps4.

it's not like ps2 which I regretted selling it and some games continue exclusive to it.
digitron

Post by digitron »

pbsk8 wrote:
digitron wrote:Don't sell your old consoles, I did and regretted it..If you keep your PS4 just for M2 ports its 100% worth it!
so far only 5 games were released under M2ST right?

Since ps5 will be retrocompatible with ps4, I am sure they will continue to release it on next gen console, for this matter I dont think is mandatory to keep a ps4.

it's not like ps2 which I regretted selling it and some games continue exclusive to it.
If he is going to buy PS5 titles then sure, but knowing you're not going to get a considerable amount of $ for a used PS4 (and if you're not going to play the new ps5 games) then just keep the ps4. It's cheaper and my guess would be M2 will continue to develop for the PS4 for a least another few years. It's not going away just like that..
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

BIL wrote:[...] which could open up a lot of previously unported stuff (I'm hopeful for R-Type Leo, Mystic Riders and XEXEX
XEXEX did grace the PSP in 2007 as part of the Salamander Portable collection :)
Hoping for the others too though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh yeah, completely forgot that one! Here I was thinking of SFC Goemon 2's charming little minigame attempt, haha.

In truth there's so much Konami, Taito and IREM stuff I'd still love to see in that line, STG and non-STG alike - not to mention Tecmo (Silkworm + RAIGA pls), Technos and NMK (and my furthest-off dream, more DECO stuff from G-Mode - Thunder Zone pls Image). I hope they continue for many years. Was just reading ex-IREM composer Masahiko Ishida's blog post about the release event this summer for Saigo no Nindou and Image Fight, you can tell they're serious chaps.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Oh right, there were these too, haha :D
--> "XEXEX" in Goemon 2

"release event this summer for Saigo no Nindou and Image Fight"

o:
Last edited by 6t8k on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

6t8k wrote:--> "XEXEX" in Goemon 2
So beautiful :mrgreen:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Score Rush Extended is a PS4 exclusive and is highly recommended.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Score Rush Extended is a PS4 exclusive and is highly recommended.
<3. Excellent game.

You won't get much for a used PS4 at this point anyway, especially with all the crazy black friday deals/price drops.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I wouldn't sell it. There are quite a few shmups on it and loads of retro-inspired (or actually oldschool) titles on the thing.

As far as other shooters you are missing for PS4, there is Battle Garegga, Dangun Feveron, Raiden V: Directors Cut, Ikaruga, Caladrius Blaze, Mahou Daisakusen/Sorcer Striker (needs a JPN PSN account), Dariusburst, and I'm sure others I am missing.

The Arcade Archives stuff is excellent. There's a whole host of Neo-Geo titles (many being shmups, like Blazing Star, Pulstar, Last Resort, Ghost Pilots, Zed Blade, Aero Fighters 2 and 3, and several more), Konami games (Gradius 1 and 2, Salamander/Life Force, TwinBee, etc), Irem games (Image Fight, In the Hunt, X Multiply, etc), and boatloads of other action games.

Side note: The Xbox One is dead when it comes to more of the niche titles like Esprade or Ketsui (I say that sadly as someone who has had a One since, well, almost day one). Many of these newer releases require a Switch or PS4.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

I wouldn't get rid of my PS4. Like everyone has mentioned. Just M2 alone, makes it worth it. Even if you don't play the AAA stuff, (which I don't)
still worth it for all the great shmups. I say keep it. You'll regret it otherwise. Heck, I'll even say, if you got the means to, I would also get a Switch and have the both of best worlds.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Think about the benefits/drawbacks of selling it and weight each point. If the benefits outweigh the drawbacks then keep it; otherwise, sell. From where I'm standing, it doesn't seem to be worth selling considering you won't get too much for it.