Ive been looking for weeks now...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
golabek123

Ive been looking for weeks now...

Post by golabek123 »

Good evening good people of this forum.

I hope this thread will find its way to the mighty capable people of the Shmups universe.

I hate to create this thread as the first thing on the forum, but I am out of options now.
A long while ago, 15 to 20 years back (perhaps a little less, since time is a subjective force), on one of the very first machines my parents bought, I installed a random game.
I hated it at first, due to the hard nature of it, for my age at least, but could not stay away from it. I got more and more drawn in, and eventually mastered the game.
I do not remember much of it, besides the fact that it was the most played game of my childhood, by far. Pretty much the only game I have played until I was a teenager.
However, my skills of internet search have failed to identify the game after all these years..

So here I am, all those years later. Trying to find my game, by a faint image in my head.
If any of what I am about to list makes any sense to any of you, please share your thoughts.
My long research has been fruitless, but i am not ready to give up just yet, so here is what I remember...

The game is quite colourful, 2.5 or 3D. There are both asteroids and enemies you need to worry about, with occasional "bonus section" which requires you to dodge the asteroids to get through the field. The faster you go the more points or gold you get. With that gold you upgrade your ship. The music was good, but nothing licensed. I do not think it was a hard game by the shmups standards, but it sure was fun. I would estimate the game came out post 2000.

If anything here rings any bells... please, kindly assist.

Kindest regards,
L.
MathU

Re: Ive been looking for weeks now...

Post by MathU »

Operating system would help. There's a lot of '90s Mac games that probably fit your description.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The only game I can think of with "bonus" sections featuring asteroids is Moon Shuttle.

Arcade version

C64 version
auryn

Post by auryn »

Stardust / Super Stardust on the Amiga is an asteroids-like game with into-the screen 3d bonus sections where you have to dodge asteroids. It would be too old by the OP's description but it otherwise fits the bill.