Ikaruga: Best version between xbla, ps4, switch, pc?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Wittischism

Ikaruga: Best version between xbla, ps4, switch, pc?

Post by Wittischism »

Asking this question fully aware of the DC advantages. Looking for the best version to be able to use my nice USB stick. From what I’ve looked up, the pc/ps4/switch all seem like the same version, in a way. Thanks
FRO

Re: Ikaruga: Best version between xbla, ps4, switch, pc?

Post by FRO »

One could assume that the PS4 and PC versions will have inherently less lag, because there's a bit of lag added with the Switch when it's docked, and you're using a USB controller. Otherwise, I think they're functionally the same, from what I've read and heard.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

An input lag test with the Brook UFB Fighting Board showed that the Switch version of Ikaruga has 2.85 frames of lag compared to the 2.5 of the PS4. As for the input polling thing, something seems to have changed in a recent update since even the Mayflash F300 Sanwa stick seems much less laggy than before the update. I'm also under the impression that RAPV has lower input lag than the BT mode of the Switch Pro Controller, even when used with a docked Switch. It looks like all of the recent versions have under 3 frames of lag, which isn't bad at all.
FRO

Post by FRO »

BrianC wrote:An input lag test with the Brook UFB Fighting Board showed that the Switch version of Ikaruga has 2.85 frames of lag compared to the 2.5 of the PS4. As for the input polling thing, something seems to have changed in a recent update since even the Mayflash F300 Sanwa stick seems much less laggy than before the update. I'm also under the impression that RAPV has lower input lag than the BT mode of the Switch Pro Controller, even when used with a docked Switch. It looks like all of the recent versions have under 3 frames of lag, which isn't bad at all.
That is potentially very good news! I recently acquired a Mayflash F500 Elite, and have been enjoying that, so it's good to know that I'll be experiencing less lag when using it on my Switch.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

FRO wrote: That is potentially very good news! I recently acquired a Mayflash F500 Elite, and have been enjoying that, so it's good to know that I'll be experiencing less lag when using it on my Switch.
Well, I'm just pressing buttons at the same time in fighting games to test. A few of the results match up with tests I have seen on youtube, but it's not conclusive. The Mayflash stick still has more input lag than a wireless Switch controller or the wired RAPV, but before an update, it seemed to have more input lag than the 8bitdo BT controllers, which doesn't seem to be the case now. RAPV did surprise me, though. It seems to be just as responsive in Switch and PC mode when used on PC and is even very responsive while docked on switch, which was the case even before a recent switch system update.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Was looking for another thread and stumbled upon this one. I'd like to post this info here for anyone who needs it in the future: avoid the XBLA version, according to user Sprocket1231231 on GameFAQS. I assume a lot of you know this already, considering the high score thread is split between arcade/DC/GC/PC and XBLA. For anyone who doesn't know the details:
  • Shigi, the chapter 3 miniboss has been mirrored. The starting
    positions of his lasers have been reversed and they now rotate the
    opposite way. Also his first move to the side happens alot sooner.
  • The bonus balls at the end of chapter 3 after Shigi do not behave
    as they had in previous versions. In previous version each white
    one would appear slightly to the right of the one before it,
    causing it to bounce further down the wall. In this version they
    all follow the same path as the first. This makes them difficult to
    chain with a similar strategy used in earlier versions of the game.
  • The weakpoints on chapter 2's boss can now be damaged a moment
    after the boss appears, before the covers close.
    In previous versions you would have to wait until the covers closed
    over the weak spots before you could begin to fight the boss. You can
    now get in some cheap shots before the clock even starts!
  • The larger ships that move right to left along the bottom at the
    beginning of chapter 4 appear a fraction of a second early. Its not
    much but its enough to allow the first ship of each set to escape off
    the left side of the screen. This makes this section much harder to chain
    when using the same technique most people used in previous versions.
  • The very large white ships (called chougenbous) just before the bosses
    of chapter 5 have had their hitboxes changed and they can also kill
    you as the fly in. You can no longer get in the sweet spot right up against
    their guns before they fly in, and you can't get nearly as close after they
    begin firing.
  • You can now move the ship with analogue sensitivity. In the other
    versions you could use the analogue stick but the ship had only one
    speed. It was either moving or it wasn't.
  • The release gauge in Normal and the bullet counter in Prototype now
    reset to their initial values at the beginning of each chapter.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Also found this thread while looking for another thread. I think it needs to be said that Ikaruga 360 deserves more credit. The changes make the situation sound less like Ikaruga 360 should be avoided and more that it should be treated as a "version 1.5". I remember some saying that the changes made sense after they were studied for a while. I was surprised the recent ports didn't have these changes as an alternate mode.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

I got both versions ,didn't realize they had a recent update cool

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
aphexacid

Post by aphexacid »

Soon you’ll be able to play ikaruga on your refrigerator while you get ice
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Not gonna lie, Ikaruga could be the next Doom. Put that shit on a TI-83.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Despatche wrote:Not gonna lie, Ikaruga could be the next Doom. Put that shit on a TI-83.
Yup, a modern console port of Radiant Silvergun would be more welcome - I'm not too worried I've got the 360 version, but a switch physical would be nice.
RobHimself

Post by RobHimself »

BrianC wrote:
FRO wrote: That is potentially very good news! I recently acquired a Mayflash F500 Elite, and have been enjoying that, so it's good to know that I'll be experiencing less lag when using it on my Switch.
Well, I'm just pressing buttons at the same time in fighting games to test. A few of the results match up with tests I have seen on youtube, but it's not conclusive. The Mayflash stick still has more input lag than a wireless Switch controller or the wired RAPV, but before an update, it seemed to have more input lag than the 8bitdo BT controllers, which doesn't seem to be the case now. RAPV did surprise me, though. It seems to be just as responsive in Switch and PC mode when used on PC and is even very responsive while docked on switch, which was the case even before a recent switch system update.
Have you tried overclocking the polling rate on your USB ports to 1000hz? Some peripherals feel more responsive, others it seems it polls so fast as you need even more precision to get the right directional inputs you want.

I'm all for the lowest latency possible, but I wonder if there is merit to just enough controller latency to prevent unwanted directional inputs. One of my controllers is a bit unwieldy in how much input is being registered. Depending on how the game handles input buffering this gets mitigated so if you enter a diagonal on accident, the game will still register what you intended, say forward.

The biggest difference most folks should have is getting a monitor with the lowest latency possible. The lowest latency machine and controller is worthless if you don't have the screen to make use of it, and unfortunately a lot of monitors and modern TVs have too much of it.

I swore using a CRT for the longest time, but I've moved over to an OLED panel and finally there is a reasonable substitute to replace the CRT.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I know that the Dreamcast version of Ikaruga is the best version to own/play considering that it's an exact 1-to-1 port of it's famous arcade-based Sega Naomi powered iteration. I came across an interesting date/time timestamp issue in regards to the DC GD-Rom disc of Ikaruga:

Regardless if the RTC clock on a DC console is currently up to date with today's current date and time, if you manage to get a high score and enter your high score initials on the high score board, the highest date/time recorded will be at 7-02-16 (and not any higher than that regardless of the current clock/calendar status of the DC's internal RTC).

Interesting to learn that the original "ML-2032" coin-type lithium battery was a rechargeable CR-2032 based battery that kept the RTC functionality on-going when the DC console was powered down for the night. Of course, most aging DC consoles have a dead ML-2032 battery (or one that holds a temporary small charge but ends up defaulting back if the DC console is powered up for little bit and then powered down for more than a few minutes) -- a new ML-2032 battery will solve that particular issue easily (or just install a new CR-2032 battery holder + a brand new CR-2032 battery and you're good for several more years of accurate RTC functionality indeed).

Fascinating but true!

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

RobHimself wrote:
BrianC wrote:
Have you tried overclocking the polling rate on your USB ports to 1000hz? Some peripherals feel more responsive, others it seems it polls so fast as you need even more precision to get the right directional inputs you want.

I'm all for the lowest latency possible, but I wonder if there is merit to just enough controller latency to prevent unwanted directional inputs. One of my controllers is a bit unwieldy in how much input is being registered. Depending on how the game handles input buffering this gets mitigated so if you enter a diagonal on accident, the game will still register what you intended, say forward.

The biggest difference most folks should have is getting a monitor with the lowest latency possible. The lowest latency machine and controller is worthless if you don't have the screen to make use of it, and unfortunately a lot of monitors and modern TVs have too much of it.

I swore using a CRT for the longest time, but I've moved over to an OLED panel and finally there is a reasonable substitute to replace the CRT.
My post is a bit outdated. Mayflash updated their firmware since then and is more on par with other joysticks like the Qanba Obsidian and the Hori RAP V. Still should look into figuring out the PC polling rate. It's set to 1000 Hz polling on MiSTer.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:I know that the Dreamcast version of Ikaruga is the best version to own/play considering that it's an exact 1-to-1 port of it's famous arcade-based Sega Naomi powered iteration. I came across an interesting date/time timestamp issue in regards to the DC GD-Rom disc of Ikaruga:
The DC version is not a 1:1 carbon copy of the NAOMI original (the NAOMI version has more slowdown in various key locations throughout the game), but it certainly is the closest home port in terms of recreating the original game.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

PS4 for me.
dark

Post by dark »

playing with analogue sensitivity sounds like it could be interesting. Like another way to put my Super Monkey Ball skills to the test.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

blossom wrote:Was looking for another thread and stumbled upon this one. I'd like to post this info here for anyone who needs it in the future: avoid the XBLA version, according to user Sprocket1231231 on GameFAQS. I assume a lot of you know this already, considering the high score thread is split between arcade/DC/GC/PC and XBLA. For anyone who doesn't know the details:
Somehow all this information escaped me for years. It’s kind of fascinating. Thanks for posting.