We have created a heavy inspired shmup game called Profane!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Monroy518

We have created a heavy inspired shmup game called Profane!

Post by Monroy518 »

Hello, everyone!

I am part of an indie studio named OverPowered Team, adn we have recently launched Profane in Steam. Profane is a boss rush game in which time is your health and your currency. We have worked on Profane for a long time, and even if it is not a classic shmup per se, we have taken huge inspiration from the genre. Since this is the case, I wanted to create a post here before maybe creating one in #Development, talking about our experience. I am new to the forum, so I didn't want to mess up. Hopefully this post is ok :)

If you want to take a look to the game, you can do it here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1093390/Profane/

EDIT: Here's the trailer, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG5TlyxQXsE

Let me know what you think! :D
Last edited by Monroy518 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kid aphex

Re: We have created a heavy inspired shmup game called Profa

Post by kid aphex »

I think it looks awesome... but I'm (super) partial to twin-stick shooters.
Great aesthetic too (except for the main/cover art...)

If I had a way of buying/playing it RN, I would in a heartbeat.

Good luck.
Monroy518

Post by Monroy518 »

kid aphex wrote:I think it looks awesome... but I'm (super) partial to twin-stick shooters.
Great aesthetic too (except for the main/cover art...)

If I had a way of buying/playing it RN, I would in a heartbeat.

Good luck.
Thank you for your words! Really appreciate it <3
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Gameplay looks great, I'll try to give it a shot sometime soon. Makes me think of Furi but with more solid shmup patterns.
Monroy518

Post by Monroy518 »

Zaarock wrote:Gameplay looks great, I'll try to give it a shot sometime soon. Makes me think of Furi but with more solid shmup patterns.
Thanks! Furi was one of many references! We love it <3
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

The presentation is seriously awesome, and I hope it will find its audience.
Profane is a time-based twin-stick shooter
But that's a hard pass from me, I'm afraid.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
auryn

Post by auryn »

I bought this game on a whim last week and it hasn't disappointed. Presentation is great, controls feel solid, challenge is pretty hardcore (it seriously took me about 20 attempts just to get past Mr. Tutoriaal, LOL, and I had to do all of the last phase with 0 time) but fair. I'm currently struggling with the first boss. Love the pattern where he sends out the bullets to form a kind of obstacle course and then draws them in again. I've not seen enough of the game yet to comment more about it content-wise, but I'm sure there's quite a few people hanging around here that would enjoy it.

There are some similarities with Mamoro-kun with time being set against you, although in Mamoro-kun you also have lives and this game collapses both into one. The playful art style also reminds me of that game.
Monroy518

Post by Monroy518 »

auryn wrote:I bought this game on a whim last week and it hasn't disappointed. Presentation is great, controls feel solid, challenge is pretty hardcore (it seriously took me about 20 attempts just to get past Mr. Tutoriaal, LOL, and I had to do all of the last phase with 0 time) but fair. I'm currently struggling with the first boss. Love the pattern where he sends out the bullets to form a kind of obstacle course and then draws them in again. I've not seen enough of the game yet to comment more about it content-wise, but I'm sure there's quite a few people hanging around here that would enjoy it.

There are some similarities with Mamoro-kun with time being set against you, although in Mamoro-kun you also have lives and this game collapses both into one. The playful art style also reminds me of that game.
Oh, we didn't know that game! Thanks for bringing it up. We are thankful for your words, too. We are a small indie team, so we are glad we met your expectations :D
MathU

Post by MathU »

Can you play the game without Steam?
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
auryn

Post by auryn »

Monroy518 wrote:Oh, we didn't know that game! Thanks for bringing it up.
Ah you should definitely take a look at how they implemented the time mechanic in that game. Might be interesting to see how that could map onto Profane.

Damn this game is hard though. Or maybe I just suck, LOL. Anyway, it would have been nice to have like 3-4 bosses to try in the beginning, to break the monotony.
Monroy518

Post by Monroy518 »

auryn wrote:
Monroy518 wrote:Oh, we didn't know that game! Thanks for bringing it up.
Ah you should definitely take a look at how they implemented the time mechanic in that game. Might be interesting to see how that could map onto Profane.

Damn this game is hard though. Or maybe I just suck, LOL. Anyway, it would have been nice to have like 3-4 bosses to try in the beginning, to break the monotony.
Feel you man, we thought about it, but after unlocking the "arena mode", all bosses avaliable, you have to beat the story mode. It was a difficult decision to make, both pros and cons... Thank you for your words, though!
Monroy518

Post by Monroy518 »

MathU wrote:Can you play the game without Steam?
Hey, man! We are now working on the game for Consoles! We will launch on every platform in 2020. We would also like to see the game in different PC platforms too, but for now, it is only avaliable in Steam.
MathU

Post by MathU »

That's too bad, guess I'll be keeping my money.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.