Shmup Club 2020 Scoring Competition!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FRO

Shmup Club 2020 Scoring Competition!

Post by FRO »

Normally, we'd wait until the December RF Generation news post to announce the game for January. However, we wanted to give everyone extra time to acquire a copy, because it's an import title. In January, the RF Generation Shmup Club will be taking on our first Cave shooter, Ketsui! Known by its full title, Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi, and with the more recent PlayStation 4 release, Ketsui Deathtiny. It's also seen release on the Nintendo DS, as a boss rush, known as Ketsui Death Label. The original arcade game saw release on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in Japan, the former version of which is region free, as is the DS game, and the newer PS4 release, which is part of the M2 ShotTriggers line. Currently, there's no way to purchase the game digitally from any US markets, such as PlayStation Network, or Xbox Live, so a physical release is the only way to go with this title, at the moment. Thankfully, both the PS3 and PS4 versions are not only region free, but also readily available via Amazon, Play Asia, Nin Nin Game, and other online retailers, for a reasonable price.

We also wanted to make sure that we gave our first Cave title its due, not only because the developer is legendary in the shooting game scene, but also because their games have a reputation for complexity and intricate scoring mechanics. Ketsui is no different. During the entirety of 2020, we'll be playing Ketsui as a primary score competition game. We'll still have the monthly games to play, and try to score as best as possible during that time, but because Ketsui will take more time to master, we're hoping players will join in during the course of the year, and post scores for the game throughout the year. We want to give everyone ample opportunity to learn the game, and master the play and scoring mechanics, so we'll keep a thread going on the forum, to continue to discuss the game, share tips and strategies, and give everyone a place to share their scores. This new approach will hopefully encourage players to really dig into the game, and learn it at a level we wouldn't normally do, since we only focus on most games for a month at a time. We hope you'll consider joining us in January, and throughout 2020, as we dive deep into Cave's Ketsui, and get the most out of this game! More information will follow with the official news release post in December.

Just one last note to also mention that emulation is okay for this competition! We definitely encourage everyone to buy a copy of the game, especially the new PS4 release, to help support M2's efforts in bringing more of these games to modern platforms. However, for those who don't currently have the means, we will neither discourage, nor disqualify anyone, because emulation is their only option.
Mark_MSX

Re: Shmup Club 2020 Scoring Competition!

Post by Mark_MSX »

This sounds awesome! I'll definitely be joining in :-D
FRO

Post by FRO »

Mark_MSX wrote:This sounds awesome! I'll definitely be joining in :-D
Haha, I kinda knew that already ;)
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Count me in! ;)

BIL, didn't you want to play this game soon too? :mrgreen:

With Esprade Psi being released just a few weeks prior, my PS4 will be well utilized for sure.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

X-Mode on PS3/360 is my fave by far. May join in.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
BIL

Post by BIL »

6t8k wrote:BIL, didn't you want to play this game soon too? :mrgreen:
I'll see what I can do, will probably spend all year playing Ikari and making GIFs knowing me. :lol: But yes, finding myself equipped with only a PS4 and its unexpectedly killer array of shaweet arcade gaming for the foreseeable future, I will have to get it up! Get some scores up, I mean! Image

(giffing, it's an affliction! they're great for guides and shit though! Image)
Spoiler
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

hey, this sounds like fun! i might have to get in on this. i just started practicing Ketsui but i'm getting destroyed by some of the later bosses, lol. i want to try to practice a few 1CCs and then start going for score, so this might be a good reason to motivate myself. :D
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Great idea!! I was very sick with the flu for the past week, so now that I have my bearings again, Im reading for some gaming!! Been playing the Limited Run Battle Garegga, but I may have to put that down for this come January.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Glad to see some enthusiasm for this! Keep in mind, I'll still be doing the regular monthly Shmup Club games after January for each month, but Ketsui will remain the big, over-arching scoring goal for the whole of 2020. More info to come!
FRO

Post by FRO »

In modern gaming vernacular, those who aren't familiar with shoot-em-up conventions often refer to them all as "bullet hell" games. However, the term has a much more narrow scope than all of scrolling shooters. Some consider Toaplan's swansong Batsugun to be the genesis of the genre, and games developed by companies whose staff was formerly of Toaplan, such as Raizing, Takumi, and Cave, have frequently been given that label. However, one developer stands tall in the crowd, and has worn the danmaku, or "bullet hell" crown proudly. Japanese studio Cave, with development often led by Shinobu Yagawa, has produced some of the most well recognized and respected games in the genre, and certainly continued to wave the flag for shmups, well after their commercial viability as a genre had been called into question. Though they haven't released a new shooting game for several years now, as the shmup genre is celebrating somewhat of a renaissance, they remain relevant as the go-to for many hardcore players, because their games are considered to be of the highest quality.

January 2020 marks the first Cave game explored by the RF Generation Shmup Club, and our debut look at their catalog begins with none other than Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi. Released in arcades in 2003, the game took the familiar military trappings of Cave's previous DoDonPachi series of games, but took the game in a different direction, mechanically, and in terms of the specifics for scoring. With a greater emphasis on point blanking enemies, and a limited range focus laser weapon with lock-on capabilities, Ketsui has a different feel than Cave's previous military-themed shooters, and that makes it fairly unique in the Cave canon. A special boss rush version was made for the Nintendo DS in 2008, called Ketsui Death Label. The game received an Xbox 360 release in Japan in 2010, and saw release on the PS3 in 2013. In 2018, prolific studio M2 ported the game for their ShotTriggers line, to the PlayStation 4. Not only did they bring the arcade version fully intact, but also included the IKD 2007 soundtrack, and a new mix by famed composer Virt, aka Jake Kaufman. In addition, they created a new mode for the game, titled "Deathtiny" that changes the mechanics and scoring. It gives the game play another dimension, and provides even more replay value to this already impressive game. Come join the RF Generation Shmup Club in January 2020, as we explore Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi!

We're also starting a new tradition in 2020, as our January title will also be our year-long score focus! We'll continue to play a different game each month, and will tally scores at the end, so that aspect remains. But because of the complexity of a game like Ketsui, which will take players longer to acclimate to, and longer to master, we want to make sure that everyone has plenty of time to get good at the game, and allow for participants to really maximize their ability to score well in the game. Throughout the year, we encourage everyone who is playing the game to continue to post score progress, share strategies, and talk about the game. We hope this will be a fun way to keep everyone engaged throughout the year, and that more people will join in the fun!

Again, the thread to sign up is here:
http://www.rfgeneration.com/forum/index.php?topic=19225.0

You can also join the RF Generation Discord server, linked on the front page, and post in the #shootthecorecast topic to share scores, strategies, etc.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

I'll submit something if I have the time to plug in the PCB. :mrgreen:
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
FRO

Post by FRO »

Eaglet wrote:I'll submit something if I have the time to plug in the PCB. :mrgreen:
Haha, excellent! I doubt many people will have the distinction of being able to say that :lol:
FRO

Post by FRO »

I finally have the leader board spreadsheet up, and most current scores (as of this post) updated! Feel free to jump in at any point during 2020 and submit a score. Just make sure to read the Rules & Guidelines tab in the spreadsheet, to make sure you're submitting your score properly. Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JnZ4vZsBv4cgIMa1XKFy5OxqYULGPZNVMTjOAD9EDeY/edit?usp=sharing
JayLab

Post by JayLab »

Sounds like fun! Always happy to have a reason to play more Ketsui. I have a 93mil 1-all from last year but I'm certain I can do better. I'll try to find time to de-rust in the next month or two.
Dedicate your life to Psikyo
FRO

Post by FRO »

JayLab wrote:Sounds like fun! Always happy to have a reason to play more Ketsui. I have a 93mil 1-all from last year but I'm certain I can do better. I'll try to find time to de-rust in the next month or two.
Excellent! Just remember to either post on the forum, join the Discord server, or tweet at us with #rfgshmupclub to submit your scores. Please include a screenshot, and note which platform you're playing on, which mode, and which craft you used. Thanks!

Speaking of which, I thought I would post a link to the leaderboard spreadsheet we made up, to keep track of the scores:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JnZ4vZsBv4cgIMa1XKFy5OxqYULGPZNVMTjOAD9EDeY/edit?usp=sharing