Adding some handling to the forum for large images

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
nmalinoski

Adding some handling to the forum for large images

Post by nmalinoski »

(There doesn't seem to be any forum for issues with the forums/site, so this seemed like the most appropriate spot.)

Could someone maintaining the forums please add some CSS or something to the image handling to prevent gigantic images from breaking the site layout?

Currently, if someone links in a gigantic, full-size image, the bounds of their post extend to the dimensions of the image, resulting in the post extending multiple screens off the right-hand side of their browser; and, then, anyone who wants to read that post might need to scroll multiple screens to the right to read a paragraph's worth of text that's been unraveled onto one line, and anyone who wants to understand the images will need to either open them in a new tab or download them and open them in an image viewer so they can be scaled down enough to fit on their screen.

I've seen some people put large images in spoiler tags, but that only masks the issue; expanding the spoiler tag still results in the forum layout breaking, and does nothing to fit the images into the post.

I think it would be far better for forum readability and usability if the parent container didn't expand horizontally with the post content and if the image were restricted to the width of the post container; with those constraints, images would be fit, by the browser, into the bounds of the post container (which would be dependent on the window size), and users a) would no longer have to scroll horizontally to see the entire post and b) would be able to better understand images in context.
donluca

Re: Adding some handling to the forum for large images

Post by donluca »

Code: Select all

.postbody img {
    max-width: 80%;
}
I've been using this for like forever, I think I even suggested adding this in a thread somewhere in the past.

Or just do yourself a favor, and install the Stylish extension for Chrome/Firefox/whatever so you can use your own custom CSS code for each site.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

I think I see what motivated your post ;)
nmalinoski wrote:(There doesn't seem to be any forum for issues with the forums/site, so this seemed like the most appropriate spot.)
It's pinned on top of the Off-Topic subforum: Forum software / theme bugs thread.

Seconded. Would be nice if this could be accounted for in the forum CSS. Not everyone can/wants to use extensions/custom CSS (I do though).
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Just don't post gigantic images to begin with. Unless you're wanting to get modded, which is what usually happens.

While you're at it, consider not posting forum issues in Shmups Chat.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Elixir wrote:Just don't post gigantic images to begin with. Unless you're wanting to get modded, which is what usually happens.
It's a pretty archaic and unnecessary limitation though. It limits the process with which you can share images, especially across multiple platforms, and hotlinking from other sources is completely off limits.

Add the fact that a lot of less technically literate people, or just people unfamiliar with the quirks of this forum, can't be expected to be aware of this. You consistently see people making the mistake in new sales threads or people popping in to promote their indie shmup or whatever. You can't really fault them.

It's especially dumb because as already stated it can be fixed with a single line of CSS which I'd hope someone responsible is already planning on adding. :P

And yeah, obviously this shouldn't be in shmups chat...