Steam Shmups - The Bone Zone

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
A Skeleton

Steam Shmups - The Bone Zone

Post by A Skeleton »

Hello shmup fans. I'm A Skeleton. I spent the entirety of of October working on this ginormous video of 21 reviews for 21 different shmups on Steam. I was hoping to share it here and get some feedback. I noticed there's a section for shmups reviews, but I wasn't sure if this would be appropriate for that section.

Here's hoping you see some games in here that you weren't aware of. The Bone Zone is all about hidden gems.

https://youtu.be/onpKjkEd6kY
My second video on Steam Shmups
https://youtu.be/SHYu_ETEmJE
2a03

Re: Steam Shmups - The Bone Zone

Post by 2a03 »

>hidden gems
>Ikaruga
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

In a time when everybody plays games like Destiny 2, Call of Duty, or Fortnite and doesn't pay much attention to a niche genre like shmups, I consider them all hidden gems.

But you're right, for a shmup, Ikaruga's certainly been around.

Now if you wanna see a hidden gem, check out Q-Yo Blaster.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

no one tell him about dead moon
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:no one tell him about dead moon
Is it for the skeleton boss? Man, you guys really are hardcore if you can remember something that obscure.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Thanks for sharing: this is obviously aimed at a fairly casual audience (I imagine your statement that you don't play shooters for score raised at least a couple of blood pressure points somewhere on here), but I do appreciate that while you're not afraid to be silly and your character shows through, you do a good job keeping most of the video's emphasis on the games you're covering instead of the window dressing, which is always laudable. Hope you do get around to doing another one eventually. :) Though now I'm gonna have that stupid skeleton song stuck in my head til heaven knows when. :P
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

Thanks a lot dude. That's the kind of feedback I've been waiting for. You can imagine with only 58 subs on Youtube, it's hard to get opinions on these videos.

I'm absolutely gonna do another one. Especially with all these people suggesting games I didn't know about. It's just gonna be awhile. And once I'm done with Steam shmups, I'll branch off into other consoles. I really did like Silpheed as a kid.
guigui

Post by guigui »

A Skeleton wrote:
PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:no one tell him about dead moon
Is it for the skeleton boss? Man, you guys really are hardcore if you can remember something that obscure.
You have no idea how shmups.com members are hardcore. Welcome here. BulletMagnet words can be trusted : you work sounds nice, and may help open the niche to a wider audience. Good idea ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

guigui wrote: you work sounds nice, and may help open the niche to a wider audience.
That's the plan.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Spoiler
APOLOGISE FOR TRIPLE POSTING (■`ω´■)
BOTH OF YOU (■`W´■)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL wrote:APOLOGISE FOR TRIPLE POSTING (■`ω´■)
BOTH OF YOU (■`W´■)
THESE ARE THE POSTS I LIVE FOR
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Objection

I'm better
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Leander

Post by Leander »

I enjoyed the video and you have another subscriber :)
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

Leander wrote:I enjoyed the video and you have another subscriber :)
Thank you kindly friend!
FRO

Post by FRO »

I enjoyed the video, and I'm glad you didn't overplay your hand with skeleton puns. I'm not generally a fan of jump cuts, but they were utilized contextually well, and worked for this style. Subbed!
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

FRO wrote:I enjoyed the video, and I'm glad you didn't overplay your hand with skeleton puns. I'm not generally a fan of jump cuts, but they were utilized contextually well, and worked for this style. Subbed!
Thank you as well! I don't like to use that many puns. They're not very humerus.
Leander

Post by Leander »

A Skeleton wrote:
FRO wrote:I enjoyed the video, and I'm glad you didn't overplay your hand with skeleton puns. I'm not generally a fan of jump cuts, but they were utilized contextually well, and worked for this style. Subbed!
Thank you as well! I don't like to use that many puns. They're not very humerus.
Personally I love puns, but I could have done with less/none of the random clips you used for rating the games. Actually just giving the game a rating would be more interesting and less work, I imagine?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Yeah, it's a good video to perhaps guide noobs towards stuff they may find enjoyable, and obviously you put a lot of work into it. However, have you considered perhaps releasing four videos covering five games apiece?

I mean, I actually really enjoy shooters, am familiar with most of the titles covered, and my eyes started to glaze at the half-hour point. I would imagine newcomers who are far less interested in shooters than I, would probably only make it 10 minutes before info overload sets in.

And as stated above, the first three or so 'ratings' are funny, but then one starts to wish they were actual ratings instead of the same joke 18 more times...
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

I felt the ratings were a good opportunity to throw in some humor to mix things up. I don't much like numerical ratings for video games. I think it's good enough to just say that a game is good, great, or amazing. (I don't mean that literally)

And while it would've been much easier for me to make shorter videos covering shmups, I've been under the impression that youtube likes longer videos because of viewer retention. High viewer retention over a long period gets you more exposure. So it was somewhat of a strategic choice to make a large video. Which I'm fine with. It's what I wanted to do anyway. Maybe a bit too long though. I'm working on talking a bit faster and I'll try to keep the scripts a bit more tightly written.

Thank you for the input.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

A Skeleton wrote:I felt the ratings were a good opportunity to throw in some humor to mix things up. I don't much like numerical ratings for video games. I think it's good enough to just say that a game is good, great, or amazing. (I don't mean that literally)

And while it would've been much easier for me to make shorter videos covering shmups, I've been under the impression that youtube likes longer videos because of viewer retention. High viewer retention over a long period gets you more exposure. So it was somewhat of a strategic choice to make a large video. Which I'm fine with. It's what I wanted to do anyway. Maybe a bit too long though. I'm working on talking a bit faster and I'll try to keep the scripts a bit more tightly written.

Thank you for the input.
how "long" videos are is always a struggle. It's so easy to just talk lol, especially when you enjoy a game
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I felt the ratings were a good opportunity to throw in some humor to mix things up. I don't much like numerical ratings for video games. I think it's good enough to just say that a game is good, great, or amazing. (I don't mean that literally)
I don't mean you have to give ratings of 7.428, two and 6/8 stars, or a C+, I just mean that after the 10th guy breaking something or getting smacked in the nutsack you don't have to repeat it 11 more times. If you're going to keep making the rating a joke, make it a new joke.

And regardless of strategizing, you have to admit plowing through 21 games in one sitting is a bit much.
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
I just mean that after the 10th guy breaking something or getting smacked in the nutsack you don't have to repeat it 11 more times. .
I beg your pardon! There is not a single nutshot in that video! Because I didn't find one.

You might be right about the length though. I'll consider it next time.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Given the stuff that shows up in my recommendations all the time, a "10 Great Shmups To Check Out" list might be better. The rating joke wouldn't wear off as quickly, and you hold back more games later that you can use to make more videos, but still give each game plenty of time, so the video has some length to it.
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

I got an early code for Jamestown+ to help check for bugs and issues. It's also serving as a review code, so I'll post that here when it's ready if ya'll are interested.