1944 ad 19XX on the CPS 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
awbacon

1944 ad 19XX on the CPS 2

Post by awbacon »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6mqo-f_YMU&t=114s

I can never decide which one I prefer. Normally its 1944 but after capturing these 19XX definitely impressed me more than I remember.

I def need to build a dedicated TATE setup. Currently I just turn my PVM on it's side for these, but I'd love to get a TATE setup built.

But both games are amazing shmups. Love them both. Weird they never got ported off the CPS 2, even as a compilation release on something
BulletMagnet

Re: 1944 ad 19XX on the CPS 2

Post by BulletMagnet »

Technically 1944 is appearing on the Capcom Home Arcade, if you want to count that. Personally, I much prefer 19XX, though it's been some time since I've played either one.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

BulletMagnet wrote:Technically 1944 is appearing on the Capcom Home Arcade, if you want to count that. Personally, I much prefer 19XX, though it's been some time since I've played either one.
I didn’t include it when I did the video since it wasn’t released yet. Plus I’d never buy it since how is the second player supposed to rest their wrists on the COM portion? Looks like it’ll tear your skin up lol
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

1944 is one of the very few games I have ever sold. Way too long and boring.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

SuperDeadite wrote:1944 is one of the very few games I have ever sold. Way too long and boring.
Lol I must be in the small minority on liking 1944 then
BIL

Post by BIL »

If nothing else 1944's got those cool enemy/stage names, Souky-esque. IRON BEAST WAR-CRY Image Wonder how much ZZ Top got paid for the OST. :lol: :wink:

Also, Jesus, I wish someone I had faith in was handling that emulation box. What a lineup, so much good stuff. M2, Hamster/Gotch... I'd happily pick one up if it were as sound as their current-gen works. Dunno what to make of this though. :|
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

BIL wrote:If nothing else 1944's got those cool enemy/stage names, Souky-esque. IRON BEAST WAR-CRY Image Wonder how much ZZ Top got paid for the OST. :lol: :wink:

Also, Jesus, I wish someone I had faith in was handling that emulation box. What a lineup, so much good stuff. M2, Hamster/Gotch... I'd happily pick one up if it were as sound as their current-gen works. Dunno what to make of this though. :|
I have very little confidence in the emubox. All the legal issues with the emulator + the piss poor design make me think it's going to be an overpriced disappointment.

My gripe is mostly down to the shape. I cannot see how its going to work. You cant rest your wrist on the 2P area...it looks like it will be soooo uncomfortable
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

The logo stick isn't made for people who play games. It's made to look pretty in a shelf collector's youtube backdrop.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

awbacon wrote:I have very little confidence in the emubox. All the legal issues with the emulator + the piss poor design make me think it's going to be an overpriced disappointment.

My gripe is mostly down to the shape. I cannot see how its going to work. You cant rest your wrist on the 2P area...it looks like it will be soooo uncomfortable
TBH, with that killer lineup (AVMFNP Image), if someone like M2 or Hamster were providing bespoke emulation, I'd happily carve it up like a Christmas turkey and solder in my own parts. Image :lol:
FRO

Post by FRO »

BIL wrote:
awbacon wrote:I have very little confidence in the emubox. All the legal issues with the emulator + the piss poor design make me think it's going to be an overpriced disappointment.

TBH, with that killer lineup (AVMFNP Image), if someone like M2 or Hamster were providing bespoke emulation, I'd happily carve it up like a Christmas turkey and solder in my own parts. Image :lol:
It probably wouldn't take much to re-home the board into a new case, and make it functionally more useful. Maybe even find a way to separate the controls for player 2.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

FRO wrote:
BIL wrote:

It probably wouldn't take much to re-home the board into a new case, and make it functionally more useful. Maybe even find a way to separate the controls for player 2.
That would make a super fun project. Harvest the guts and make a bespoke CP to house it all comfortably, maybe even with better parts.

Could even do two sticks, one with the guts, and another that daisy chain plugged into the back of the primary stick
BIL

Post by BIL »

Indeed, it all comes down to the software really. Which isn't sounding too promising. If it's optimised ala M2 and Gotch's stuff, cool. If it's just FBA in a box, that's nothing you can't do yourself.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

BIL wrote:Indeed, it all comes down to the software really. Which isn't sounding too promising. If it's optimised ala M2 and Gotch's stuff, cool. If it's just FBA in a box, that's nothing you can't do yourself.
Sounds like its just FBA on a cheap chinese pcb so far