Shmupping against...demons?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Skyknight

Shmupping against...demons?

Post by Skyknight »

This was brought on by watching a no-miss longplay of Pulstar. I recall that except for the Revo expys and gun turrets, the enemies all seem to be organic. And not at all of the same type of critter, which doesn't suggest a single alien force, not unless humanity's existence offended that many planets. Although all subtlety goes out the window with the final boss's first phase--an archetypal demon head. And it doesn't help that the final boss's theme song is called "Galactic Ruler". (Although the demon theme is possibly also supported by the st. 6 theme being called "Foul Smell". Something often associated with the Unholy™. See, for instance, "The Dunwich Horror" associating Yog-Sothoth's spawn with having a "foulness", and the Goetic demon Astaroth having a "noisome breath"...although I'm not sure if it's from Astaroth himself or the viper he holds.)

I've spoken of this before (q.v. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52824), but once again, there seems to be a fondness for biological enemies in sci-fi games to be given a demonic cast. Your judgement on whether they actually are demons, or just inspired the depiction of demons by Europe in some way during a previous scouting. (Never mind the enemies in Taito's Space Gun; how does a creature evolve to turn its wounds into mouths?!) So far, I can think of the following alien/demon elisions:

--Abadox
--X-Multiply
--R-Type (and given that the Bydo were sealed out of our own space-time--which means that whenever they get out, it's not necessarily after their sealing point here--I honestly think Irem meant to imply that they are the foundation of humanity's stories about demons)
--Pulstar (and given that Aicom was staffed in large measure by former Irem personnel, I'm not surprised)
--Maybe Gradius; depends on what kind of entity Bacterion is supposed to be.
--Guardian Legend???

Note, by the way, that the obverse was often impelled by NoA during the period bordering the NES and Super Nintendo (Sword Maniac comes to mind here).

Does anyone have any other examples? (Note that having a sci-fi initial frame is a must. This disqualifies, for example, Gynoug.)
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Re: Shmupping against...demons?

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Here's some I know:

For sure:
-In the Hunt (only a single boss, the terrifying Steadfast)
-Space Megaforce/Super Aleste ( "I come from the world beyond" )
-Rendering Ranger R2 (it gets pretty obvious)

What about fighting gods?
-Metal Black
-G - Darius
-Gaia Seed

Maybe
-Grind Stormer (A miniboss, and the final boss is a djinn?)
-Cybattler (Some demon-ish enemy designs & final boss)
-Truxton and Truxton II (some enemies, final bosses)
-Giga Wing (medallions are definitely supernatural, but demonic? idk)
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BIL

Post by BIL »

Skyknight wrote:--Maybe Gradius; depends on what kind of entity Bacterion is supposed to be.
I ponder Gradius III's parting shot, in all its mush-mouthed accusatory menace. "I WAS BORN... FROM THE GREEDINESS OF MANKIND" Bioweapon, or something more eldritch? Where is the line between monster and devil Image

Warning: monster and devil
Spoiler
ImageImage

Small OT, Gradius V's VENOM (oh hey :o) punks every previous Gradius boss farewell, his shit is genocidal and sig-worthy! "My hatred for your kind is eternal!"
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Now that I think of it, possibly Philosoma? Depends on what went on in its successor game, though.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

BIL wrote:Where is the line between monster and devil Image
I'd draw it at Salamander 2's Doom.

Dang, that music intro is badass.

Edit: I keep remembering more games. In Dead Moon, about half of the bosses are skeletons of something. The final boss, of course, is a giant human skeleton, and the skull is the 2nd form. Great name & concept, mediocre game tho.
Last edited by PerishedFraud ឵឵ on Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Turbo Force has a demonic Predator head boss as the penultimate boss
BIL

Post by BIL »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:In Dead Moon, about half of the bosses are skeletons of something. The final boss, of course, is a giant human skeleton, and the skull is the 2nd form.
Yangvey S. Patrushka, the true and honest first man on the moon. Image His Soviet rocket, powered by jenkem and catfood, tragically exploded on liftoff from the lunar surface. Top brass erased him from history to save face. A chimpanzee and a small dog, his co-pilots, survived just long enough to swear a Satanic oath of vengeance on their faithless commie masters.

Two thousand years later, with universal healthcare AKA communism a global reality, humanity must reckon with these vengeful ghosts of the CCCP. And their skeletons.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Dragon Spirit/Saber
Undeadline
Phelios
FRO

Post by FRO »

Aren't all the bosses in Shikhondo demons of some sort?
donluca

Post by donluca »

Guwange as well, IIRC.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Chikyū Kaihō Gun ZAS (last boss).