Favorite X68000 Shmups?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
RLJA42

Favorite X68000 Shmups?

Post by RLJA42 »

Hello, I'm new to the X68000 scene and am building a collection for the system. I am especially interested in what peoples' favorite shmups are for it since it has so many good ones. No spoilers please. Thank you :)
EmperorIng

Re: Favorite X68000 Shmups?

Post by EmperorIng »

I don't know how feasible it is to play on real hardware, but I rather like the unfortunately-titled Direct-X, which was an early doujin by PYX, who I think later worked on the Psyvariar games.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Superdeadite's the guy to ask, but for now I'll just post Gemini Wing's rather nice X68k Roland MT-32 soundtrack - currently enjoying it and would be a shame not to share. Get fired up for... WALRUSMAGEDDON :cool:
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Gemini Wing is actually 1 of only 2 games ever made that support Roland PCM Expansion Cards. I really don't care for the game itself that much, but the music keeps me playing it quite often lol.

https://youtu.be/_FBR4ktmhMo?t=156

EDIT:The video BIL linked was stolen from NicoNico, and is named wrong. That isn't an MT-32. It's the CM-64 + Rock Drums combo.
The real MT-32 version isn't bad, but far less impressive. :P

As for a list of shooties I enjoy? Too many lol.
Exceed
Genjyuuki (Undeadline)
Y2
Direct-X
Deadly Edge
Hellhound
ChoRenSha
Nemesis '90 Kai
Gradius II
Salamander
Naious
Thunder Force II
Hishyouzame
Kyukyoku Tiger
Scorpius
Galseed II
Olteus II
Cynthia
Midgarts
Dragon Spirit (Real Tate! First home port ever to do so? Also contains both "Old" and "New" rom versions.)
Fantasy Zone
Image Fight
List goes on, and on, and on........

It's easier to make a list of bad ports to avoid:
R-Type, Viewpoint.

Mahou Daisakusen is a decent port if you have the hardware.
Really needs an X68030 for full enjoyment. On an XVI it's playable, but not great.
Basically unplayable on a 10mhz machine.
BIL

Post by BIL »

SuperDeadite wrote:EDIT:The video BIL linked was stolen from NicoNico, and is named wrong. That isn't an MT-32. It's the CM-64 + Rock Drums combo.
The real MT-32 version isn't bad, but far less impressive. :P
Aw crumbs - good to know! :o

EDIT: god damn that sounds good. Image If you ever record stage 4's BGM please let me know. :mrgreen: That one is truly stunning Draculaesque! AFAIK the composer actually worked on Rondo later on.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Would love to do a full recording, but game has no sound test, and I suck at it lol.

Just realized I forgot about Angel Dive. Another awesome doujin, and oddly enough this one
is MIDI only. Has no FM Tunes at all.

https://youtu.be/zcUVQ95QTGU
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Chuuka Taisen saw a nice X68K port, not a bad shmup at all.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

SuperDeadite wrote: Exceed
Gah.

How many official games aside of Mahou Daisakusen and Dracula were actually programmed with the X-68030 in mind and perform better on it against a XVI? Always wondered and never found a reliable list.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

The New Beep Version of Cotton came in today. Quality package, slip case and manual are super glossy and smooth, as opposed to the original
which used standard paper and can be damaged extremely easily.

Side by Side:
Image Image
Tatsuya79

Post by Tatsuya79 »

Akazukin Cha Cha Cha, Chourensha, Cotton is perhaps the best version of the game.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Bloodreign wrote:Chuuka Taisen saw a nice X68K port, not a bad shmup at all.
Is there a way to access a config screen or to change some settings in this conversion? It defaults to 5 lives for some stupid reason.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Cho Ren Sha 68k on X68K might be the "definitve" version to play as Windows port display it as 60hz instead of 55hz, which results 9% faster gameplay. Gradius II is also superb and it's Internal OPM ost is my favorite OST version of II.
MathU

Post by MathU »

copy-paster wrote:Cho Ren Sha 68k on X68K might be the "definitve" version to play as Windows port display it as 60hz instead of 55hz, which results 9% faster gameplay.
Used to think this was a big con against the Windows port but I actually like it better because it makes the game more exciting. 8)
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Personally I'd love to play some Death Ephemera for that kickass soundtrack. Sadly there's no dump yet it seems.

Favorite game though...CRS? Maybe Undeadline? Hard system to rate for!
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com