Cyber Core: X68000 vs PC-Engine Differences

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
RLJA42

Cyber Core: X68000 vs PC-Engine Differences

Post by RLJA42 »

Hello, I'm a new user here. I'm inquiring about the differences between the two versions of Cyber Core and was wondering if anyone could help. Specifically, I saw a thread here where SuperDeadite mentioned the X68000 version but he/she didn't mention what differences there were. Thank you. :)
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Cyber Core: X68000 vs PC-Engine Differences

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

From what I can say about the TurboGrafx-16 version of Cyber Core is, it was sold through NEC Home Entertainment (aka NECHE) in the USA back in 1990. In fact, the very second published issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly has a preview article about Cyber Core (and even has all the cool secret passwords that you can implement before starting a serious session of CC). The number of passwords inputted and accepted are infinite, indeed. There's one password that allows you to play CC as if it were an arcade game format (squished screen format that resembles those cool vertical oriented or tate arcade STGs of yore). If you watch the ending staff credits of the TG-16 version of CC, a tribute to Pres. Bush as the demonstration player is mentioned considering it's 1990 release date in the USA.

The player plays as "Rad Ralph" character in the TG-16 version of CC.

My apologies about not having an X68000 setup nor a copy of CC for it -- so I couldn't share my two cents about the two versions of CC out there in the wilds.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
RLJA42

Post by RLJA42 »

Thank you for the comment, I appreciate it! You are clearly very knowledgeable about the TG-16/PC-Engine and its library. :) I had read somewhere about the arcade-like setup if you input a password but I didn't know it squished the screen. This is useful to know. Not to get too political but I'm a leftist who respects President Bush. That's a neat factoid, too. Thanks!
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

X68000 version is kind of like what an arcade version would have been. Bigger sprites, more paralax, FM music, and way way harder. It's a game that wants you dead.

Last Battalion is a similar situation. Its a remake of PCE's Override. Was Sting's first game as an independent publisher.

Of the two, Last Battalion is the better game.
RLJA42

Post by RLJA42 »

Thank you for all of that information :) I was hoping you would comment on this. Would you say that you think the X68000 version is better? Also, does it have difficulty settings? I read somewhere that Override didn't have them and Last Battalion did. I was wondering if this is a similar situation where the PC-Engine version did not and the X68000 version did. Thanks.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

From memory, CyberCore doesn't. Been awhile. I'd say X68000 feels like the more complete game, but the difficulty is absurd at times. A lot of people will find it too frustrating.

Last Battalion is fantastic though, a must play.
RLJA42

Post by RLJA42 »

Thank you, kindly, for the insights. I had my heart set on getting Cyber Core but I'm no pro at shmups; the furthest I've ever gotten on one life is Stage 3 or 4 in Gradius III and I'm told that's a really easy shmup. Thinking about going with Rygar instead, now. Building a small but respectable X68000 collection. In fact, I recently purchased Last Battalion. I haven't tried it yet but I am heartened by your praise for it. :)
Tatsuya79

Post by Tatsuya79 »

I couldn't find a way to speed up the ship in Cyber Core x68k, and slow + big ship isn't really fun at all...
The PC Engine version feels more polished, some generic enemies were changed, stage 3 design is better (turrets are easier to see and it fits the insect theme more), you get shields upgrade more easily...
RLJA42

Post by RLJA42 »

Thank you for the response :) It sounds like each version has its own pluses and minuses. I appreciate your attention to detail, I will definitely keep that in mind. The TG-16 version is also far cheaper than the X68000 version. In addition, I believe the game was made by arcade-creator Alfa System for the TG-16, while the X68K game was merely a port by SPS. It doesn't make sense to me to get the X68000 version of a game unless it is clearly superior (as in the case of Last Battalion over Override), since TG-16 games are so much cheaper. I'm always hoping that the X68000 version is better, though. I want to collect for this system as much as possible and it is incredibly powerful.