Enzai Shikkou Yuugi: Yuru Kill (G.rev/Izanagi Games collab)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Oniros

Enzai Shikkou Yuugi: Yuru Kill (G.rev/Izanagi Games collab)

Post by Oniros »

Will be playable at TGS 2019: https://gematsu.com/2019/09/izanagi-gam ... for-ps4-pc

It is an "escape adventure / shoot ’em up" hybrid written by Homura Kawamoto (Kakegurui). More info will probably be posted on their Twitter: https://twitter.com/yurukill
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Mero

Re: Enzai Shikkou Yuugi: Yuru Kill (G.rev/Izanagi Games coll

Post by Mero »

I hope there's a mode where the STG stages can be played independently of whatever the rest of it is.
KAI

Post by KAI »

They are only naming Mamonoro on the twitter account (even knowing it wasn't 100% a G.rev title), I really hope it's not some kind of modern kiki kaikai-like game.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

KAI wrote:They are only naming Mamonoro on the twitter account (even knowing it wasn't 100% a G.rev title), I really hope it's not some kind of modern kiki kaikai-like game.
"Escape adventure + STG" sounds exactly like a top-down free-roaming game to my ears, in all honesty. That's not a totally bad thing though, if the action is fast-paced. The plus side is that there is a lot of talent involved, so it will be novel to see some simulacrum of shootemup gameplay with a (presumably) higher budget in 2019/2020.

I'm glad G.REV is working on something again that isn't just grunt work for another company. I too hope there is an "ACTION MODE" option that cuts out the plot, but as basic as that is I wouldn't hold my breath.
KAI

Post by KAI »

https://gematsu.com/2019/09/enzai-shikk ... t-tgs-2019

shmup only mode confirmed
it's a regular game
G.rev saved shmups once again

gameplay footage on the link above
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

It looks like they made a proper shmup and then just slapped on a VN mode for marketability rather than the other way around like I was expecting. Very nice.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

(That valley background is the same one they've used in Strania ST1 and Under Defeat ST3).
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I wonder if this game will be localized? I don't want to have to pay a crapload of money when this game comes out next year.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

xxx1993 wrote:I wonder if this game will be localized? I don't want to have to pay a crapload of money when this game comes out next year.
Big publishers like Konami are usually very interested in worldwide releases. I would say the chances are pretty good that it finds it's way to the west somehow :wink:
Seems Konami is slowly crawling out of their grave with titles like this one and the new Contra. I like it.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Necronom wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:I wonder if this game will be localized? I don't want to have to pay a crapload of money when this game comes out next year.
Big publishers like Konami are usually very interested in worldwide releases. I would say the chances are pretty good that it finds it's way to the west somehow :wink:
Seems Konami is slowly crawling out of their grave with titles like this one and the new Contra. I like it.
This isn't actually published by Konami from what I understand, they just let Izanagi Games use their booth to showcase their games.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I checked this out at TGS and was immediately approached by an English speaking foreign staff member. I think he was the community manager and he was really trying to emphasize the story aspects. Given there was a foreigner attached to the project there is probably a chance for an international release.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

ACSeraph wrote:I checked this out at TGS and was immediately approached by an English speaking foreign staff member. I think he was the community manager and he was really trying to emphasize the story aspects.
What did he actually tell you?
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Not much. Basically that the story was really deep and that was the main point setting it apart from other shmups. He didn't know much about the scoring system or anything like that, only that the scoring system has not been finalized. I actually told him about this forum, so he might eventually come here to answer questions more directly.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

ACSeraph wrote:Not much. Basically that the story was really deep and that was the main point setting it apart from other shmups. He didn't know much about the scoring system or anything like that, only that the scoring system has not been finalized. I actually told him about this forum, so he might eventually come here to answer questions more directly.
That'd be very cool if he did. To me, it kind of seems like he was pushing the VN side of things because he thinks shmups aren't very marketable and that you weren't a shmup fan (at least until you asked about the scoring system), but who knows.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

We'll see about 'deep' (ha) but as long as its decent, given the utterly goofy premise (Blissful Death Harmful Park: Prison Island). Having good character design certainly helps. Nonetheless I'm pretty excited about a fresh G.Rev project all things considered.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

DietSoap wrote:That'd be very cool if he did. To me, it kind of seems like he was pushing the VN side of things because he thinks shmups aren't very marketable and that you weren't a shmup fan (at least until you asked about the scoring system), but who knows.
I got the same feeling, but I really don't think he knew a lot about the shooting mechanics of the game. Unfortunately the deeper mechanics of shmups, and the important details that elevate a game's quality are not easily noticed or understood by anyone without serious experience in the genre. That alone is a big challenge to marketing them. Even members here need guides to understand games like Akai Katana's scoring, and those guides are often created through weeks of community research. Effectively communicating scoring mechanics to players is something these games are going to have to get better at. Until that happens the marketing teams are going to be floundering about with only "It has a story!" as a hook.

I didn't really have the heart to tell him I didn't care about the plot, in fact I will almost certainly just skip all the dialogue. Is VN really more marketable than high octane shooting? What a strange world...

Anyhow he had me sold at G.Rev, so I'm sure the game will turn out great even if it doesn't get popular.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Wonder if the adventure part will be anything like Dangan Ronpa or Zero Escape?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Even members here need guides to understand games like Akai Katana's scoring
Even with a guide, Akai Katana's scoring system completely baffled me...

Anyway, now we know what was being hinted at in g.rev's last blog post, and while it isn't Under Defeat 2, it does look pretty solid thus far.

And to think, a couple weeks ago, I was afraid they were no more...

Ugh, what I really mean to say is:
NEW G.REV!!!
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

ACSeraph wrote:Is VN really more marketable than high octane shooting? What a strange world...
Absolutely. This forum can be a bit of an echo chamber at times, since only the most hardcore fans are still around posting in a BBcode board in 2019. The majority of players will probably hope they can skip the STG sections or have them on autopilot (similar to Azur Lane) I imagine. I'm guessing Izanami Games is banking hard on having the author of Kakegurui write the story and hopefully gather some interest that way. G.rev being in charge of the gameplay is a nice nod to us but ultimately, we make a tiny fraction of sales in today's market.
Squire Grooktook wrote:

*cue Heavy Day*
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

^Yeah I know, it was more of a lament than an actual question. I get TPS, FPS etc. being more marketable by a long shot, but VN? I feel like VN should be just as ignored by mainstream players as STGs are.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

ACSeraph wrote:^Yeah I know, it was more of a lament than an actual question. I get TPS, FPS etc. being more marketable by a long shot, but VN? I feel like VN should be just as ignored by mainstream players as STGs are.
Most mainstream VNs are "ironic" garbage like that KFC VN. However, games like DDLC and Danganronpa have a reasonable amount of popularity.

I kinda wish Instant Brain had done better for Cave as it is a relatively more sustainable niche (at least financially) than shmups.
Squire Grooktook wrote:

*cue Heavy Day*
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

And if you play JRPGs, you may notice that some of them also have VN-style sections for the dialogue/cutscenes/etc. so that style of storytelling shouldn't be completely alien to JP players I think.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

This is another shmup I look forward to this year.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Those screenshots in the presentation look great. Obviously a vertizontal, which seems to be a thing the last few years. Will be curious to see how this develops.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Hope someone keeps me posted on future update about this game.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Hopefully we'll hear more about this soon.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Oniros wrote:only the most hardcore fans are still around posting in a BBcode board in 2019. .
f@ck discord
f#ck reddit
f$ck facebook
f%ck twitter
f^ck instagram

Screw all that pile of inhumanity that has worse UI/UX and usability with each update. Been there, done things, ain't going back much. Always going back to superior way (forums - and actual ones, and not fake piece of shit called VanillaForums or Discours that are more like degenerated blogs mimicking forums where you dont even have an advanced search w/sorting often, and in place of subforums they use "tags", ffs; those are also pain to look at from anything else than small smartphone screen) instead.

p.s.
No updates on official twitter since feb
https://twitter.com/yurukill

no news on resources like 4gamer (one of major japanese gamenews sites) yet, too
https://www.4gamer.net/games/477/G047775/
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

There is absolutely nothing controversial about the game's concept, unless the VN affects the gameplay or something weird like that. This isn't Sigma Star Saga.
Oniros wrote:This forum can be a bit of an echo chamber at times
So can Discord servers and Twitter bubbles. It's much worse in those places actually, because at least forums nowadays typically aren't run by immature brats anymore.
Oniros wrote:only the most hardcore fans are still around posting in a BBcode board in 2019
It's such a shame too, because message boards are important and cannot be replaced with a chat room and a text document. This is a very serious problem that noone cares about.
Oniros wrote:we make a tiny fraction of sales in today's market
This is because people, including the fanbase itself, seem to think that this is correct behavior and shouldn't be changed. This is not "reality", because "reality" can change overnight and is largely based on perception. People do what they are told.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Despatche wrote:There is absolutely nothing controversial about the game's concept, unless the VN affects the gameplay or something weird like that. This isn't Sigma Star Saga.
I can actually see it being used as a means of 'branching paths' - like you'd see in a normal VN. Upset your waifu, fight this boss.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

This isn't the first time G.rev has done something like this.

Senko no Ronde 2/DUO also had a VN-style story mode with branching paths and branch-specific battles.
:lol: