D-List Battle Royale! (PCE CD-ROM²)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
RawlingGunnar

D-List Battle Royale! (PCE CD-ROM²)

Post by RawlingGunnar »

Alright, here we go, what game is the worst? It's time for the D-List Battle Royale for PC Engine (non-super) CD-ROM²! I present four contenders;

-Legion
-Avenger
-Hawk F123
-Cho Aniki DISQUALIFIED (for being Super CD-ROM². Derp.)

Genuinely curious what y'all think.
Last edited by RawlingGunnar on Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
Ghegs

Re: D-List Battle Royale! (PCE CD-ROM²)

Post by Ghegs »

I've only played Legion and Avenger, and out of those two, Legion wins (loses?) by a mile. Avenger is just forgettable, but Legion is an affront.

Back then I must've had a masochistic streak going, because I actually tried to go for a 1CC in the game. Legion takes the memorizer-subgenre to the outmost extreme. Unless you know exactly what's coming and what to do about it, you will die. This is far beyond something like R-Type, Image Fight or even Rezon. Hell, I liked Rezon.

I got pretty far in Legion too, I recall I was able to make it to the last stage or the penultimate one without losing a life. But then I hit a section that I just couldn't pass, no matter what I did. I even resorted to playing the hard part in emulator with save states (until this point I had played it only on a real PC Engine Duo-R with an original disc) and I still couldn't find a way through, despite numerous tries. The only way I ever saw past it was losing my last life and watching as the game kept scrolling while the continue countdown was going, and inserting a new credit at the last moment, thus bypassing the block.

I did eventually see a video on Youtube where somebody beat the game on a credit (might've been shoe, I don't remember) so I guess it is technically possible to beat, but it certainly is a badly designed game through and through.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

Cho Aniki? Man that game and series is way too fun and weird to be D list. I'd put it in the B tier for sure!
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

awbacon wrote:Cho Aniki? Man that game and series is way too fun and weird to be D list. I'd put it in the B tier for sure!
Ai Cho Aniki, definitely, I'll give ya that. Original Cho Aniki? eeeehhh....
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

Ok maybe C list lol
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Avenger is pretty crappy, can confirm. I found out the score strat though - bomb the bosses while they're exploding and your score skyrockets for some reason.

Daisenpu Custom is graphically WORSE than the HuCard version, it's missing stuff from the backgrounds and probably other small details that aren't immediately coming to mind. I guess the CD music is ok, but the compositions don't really fit the originals (all of which I like very much) or the theme itself. It also adds end-stage screens (maybe for loading purposes?) but I prefer the ol' Toaplan neverending scroll.