[Leap Day 2020] Announcing Shmup Slam 2: Live Label

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FRO

Re: [Leap Day 2020] Announcing Shmup Slam 2: Live Label

Post by FRO »

Good article, Mark. Here are a couple other things to consider. Youth makes a difference, as younger reflexes and more energy often make quite a difference. Another factor would be things like spacial awareness, the ability to plan ahead and anticipate what's coming, and the skill of memorization. Depending on a game's length and complexity, memorizing levels may be a wall unto itself, because it might be difficult to retain all of that information and minutia, even after repeated plays. I would tend to agree that natural talent exists. Some people are just better at certain things, and it comes naturally to them. When I was a kid, I was "first chair" in band, for my chosen instrument. I hardly ever practiced, however. I had a natural talent and inclination to music that some of the other students lacked. As time went on, that made less of a difference, because hours of practice help close the skill gap. But for a time, that propensity gave me a distinct edge. I think the same applies for any game genre. If one has a natural ability to adapt to a particular game genre, closing that skill gap will be harder for someone who doesn't possess that, and will have to put in many hours of practice and study, to achieve the same goals (1CC, high score, PB, etc.).
Mark_MSX

Re: [Leap Day 2020] Announcing Shmup Slam 2: Live Label

Post by Mark_MSX »

Hey my dude thanks for the feedback :-) Glad you enjoyed the article, it is an interesting topic for sure. The idea of reflexes and age playing a part is an interesting aspect of the discussion I hadn't considered. My thinking is that, hopefully, as the player's reaction time decreases with age, experience will help compensate.