Captain Tomaday DC

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
RawlingGunnar

Captain Tomaday DC

Post by RawlingGunnar »

Never played the OG, but was always intrigued. Got the DC port, and man, I'm not so sure about that performance. Is the screen tearing a thing from a sloppy port, or has it always been there? I mean, JoshProd has botched a lot of DC ports so far (Battle Crust comes immediately to mind).

What's the Dilly-O?
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
egg_sanwich

Re: Captain Tomaday DC

Post by egg_sanwich »

Always been there?

There’s no screen tearing whatsoever on the Neo Geo if that’s what you mean.

There is a shit ton of slowdown though.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

egg_sanwich wrote:Always been there?

There’s no screen tearing whatsoever on the Neo Geo if that’s what you mean.

There is a shit ton of slowdown though.
Good to know about the screen tears. Seems like yet another sloppy port then. But I don't recall any ridiculous slowdown, so I guess I need to play the DC release again. Seemed fun beyond the wonky scroll-tears.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
Neo-Alec

Post by Neo-Alec »

Like most Visco releases, the presentation and production value is just a bit "off" somehow. The game is a bit short and I find the gameplay too simple for my taste. Though the graphics and theme certainly can be appealing.

Breakers is probably the best example of a Visco game where everything went right, but the choice of victory music after every round is weird, and it's just obviously not on par with SNK fighters. Other games like Ganryu and Flip Shot feel like they put in just enough effort to be considered full games, though the quality isn't horrible (games had to be at least initially appealing enough to compete for arcade quarters).

Visco music and visuals, plus the overall design always seem to be just not quite there, compared to the big boys. And that can be disappointing when paying so much for a Neo Geo game.