Best ship for Noob 1CC of Garegga

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MaXXX

Best ship for Noob 1CC of Garegga

Post by MaXXX »

Hello lads,

Trying to do my first 1cc of Garegga and looking for recommendations on which ship to use.

I've tried the usual ones I've seen recommended, Wild Snail and Miyamoto C, however the former seems too slow and the latter too week.

Gain seems to be my favourite so far, a good mix of power and speed, however I've seen it said this is a more advanced ship, maybe the extra rank increase makes the endgame too hard? I can only get to 5 so far.

Any guidance? Thanks in advance
Shepardus

Re: Best ship for Noob 1CC of Garegga

Post by Shepardus »

I don't know what you mean by too weak, Miyamoto is easily one of the strongest characters in the game. Most of his power (and rank, for that matter) comes from his options, though, so if you're skipping those and relying on your main shot you're missing out.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
MaXXX

Post by MaXXX »

Shepardus wrote:I don't know what you mean by too weak, Miyamoto is easily one of the strongest characters in the game. Most of his power (and rank, for that matter) comes from his options, though, so if you're skipping those and relying on your main shot you're missing out.
I usually level the options up to 2 in the first stage, still Miyamoto doesn't seem to obliterate the bosses like Wild Snail and Gain do, the shots seem to me have less of a piercing effect
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

They don't pierce, that is correct, but the options' splash effect does good damage too (and great tick points).
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

If you're working on a 1CC, leveling up options is a bad idea as it boosts rank. Generally you want to roll with just one shot upgrade and that's it.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BIL

Post by BIL »

GOLDEN BAT is my NOOB MACHINE
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Jonpachi wrote:If you're working on a 1CC, leveling up options is a bad idea as it boosts rank. Generally you want to roll with just one shot upgrade and that's it.
With Miyamoto, all the main shot levels have the same rank per shot except the highest power level, so there's little harm in leveling up the main shot to one below max, provided you're doing so with large shot powerups and not small powerups (which would increase per-frame rank). It's worth having a more regulated options strategy for Miyamoto, as he has the second-highest rank per option shot behind Gain, but IMO it's best to just stick with 4 options for the sake of learning the stages until you can get to Black Heart mk.II or so, then work on cutting down rank to make BH2 have less health. At least that's how I approached it.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Shepardus wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:If you're working on a 1CC, leveling up options is a bad idea as it boosts rank. Generally you want to roll with just one shot upgrade and that's it.
With Miyamoto, all the main shot levels have the same rank per shot except the highest power level, so there's little harm in leveling up the main shot to one below max, provided you're doing so with large shot powerups and not small powerups (which would increase per-frame rank). It's worth having a more regulated options strategy for Miyamoto, as he has the second-highest rank per option shot behind Gain, but IMO it's best to just stick with 4 options for the sake of learning the stages until you can get to Black Heart mk.II or so, then work on cutting down rank to make BH2 have less health. At least that's how I approached it.
Oh wow, I had no idea. I'm a Snail man myself, so I always roll as minimal as possible.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Jonpachi wrote:
Shepardus wrote:
Oh wow, I had no idea. I'm a Snail man myself, so I always roll as minimal as possible.
I think this actually holds true for Wild Snail as well. See the table in Icarus's excellent ST (the first table under "One-Time Rank Increases").
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
MathU

Post by MathU »

Golden Bat is your machine of choice, you don't even have to power-up your main shot for most of the game because it's so powerful. This provides a significant cutback on the amount of time you need to spend worrying about when to grab shot power-ups; just avoid them for most of the game and focus on learning other aspects. Also I really gotta advocate against spoiling the game for yourself by trying to beat it with a Mahou secret character first.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Yeah I agree with what everyone else is saying, the Golden Bat is your boi.