shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:22 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Astroforce - my new Android shooter is available for free!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:40 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Location: California
Image

Hi everyone!

I just released my new game to the Google Play Store and I'm excited to share it with you here! And it is free! Astroforce is a vertical and fast-paced fixed shoot'em up in the tradition of the classic shooter arcade games from the past. Fight endless waves of enemy ships and battle powerful bosses. Increase destructive capabilities by collecting power-capsules and unleashing heavy weaponry! Unlock new ships as you progress through the game! Fire away!

Here is the release trailer for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu-iTYxqDI8

Download it for free on Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... astroforce

If you're interested in the project, here is the official page for Astroforce (although I will add more information soon):
http://www.squidbeamgames.com/astroforce

I've been working on a PC game for a while (sorry, not a shmup) and I decided, a month ago, to make smaller mobiles games on the side. Being a crazy shmup fan, the first one had to be a shooter! It is actually based on a game I made for the Atari ST back in the 90s (I know, I'm that old...). Don't hesitate to let me know if you'd like to hear more about my old games, I'm always game to discuss this part of my past :)

Thank you all for your help and support, and please don't hesitate to let me know what you think, being positive or negative :)

ImageImage
ImageImage
_________________
Squidbeam Games | Video Game Den


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Astroforce - my new Android shooter is available for fre
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Posts: 184
Location: Russia
Not availaible in Russia :( WHY?
_________________
ImageImageImage


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Astroforce - my new Android shooter is available for fre
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:44 pm 



Joined: 30 Oct 2016
Posts: 117
Wow, looks great!

I'm more into the classic arcade shmups, but my girlfriend LOVES shooters like yours. She'll have a blast :P


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Astroforce - my new Android shooter is available for fre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Location: California
astroid wrote:
Not availaible in Russia :( WHY?


Sorry, I'm still is soft-ish release so I omitted some countries. Mind you, the game was already available on Chinese pirate websites less than a week after release, and I never published it there :(
_________________
Squidbeam Games | Video Game Den


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Astroforce - my new Android shooter is available for fre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Location: California
el_rika wrote:
Wow, looks great!

I'm more into the classic arcade shmups, but my girlfriend LOVES shooters like yours. She'll have a blast :P


Wow! Thank you! Don't hesitate to let me know what she thinks. Is she more a casual or hardcore shmup player? I've been trying to balance out the difficulty level and I feel that the game still becomes too difficult, too quickly. Most of my friends are hardcore shmups players (including myself) and they've had no problems with it, but I want to make sure the game is not too frustrating at the beginning - although it technically has infinite continues :)

When you say you're more into classic arcade shmups, which classics do you usually like to play? I'm asking because I may develop more games like Astroforce. Although I'm focusing my efforts on a larger PC game right now, I had a blast creating Astroforce and doing pixel-art again. It took me a month to develop and I would love to create other little shooters like it :)
_________________
Squidbeam Games | Video Game Den


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Astroforce - my new Android shooter is available for fre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:15 pm 



Joined: 30 Oct 2016
Posts: 117
lkermel wrote:
el_rika wrote:
Wow, looks great!

I'm more into the classic arcade shmups, but my girlfriend LOVES shooters like yours. She'll have a blast :P


Wow! Thank you! Don't hesitate to let me know what she thinks. Is she more a casual or hardcore shmup player? I've been trying to balance out the difficulty level and I feel that the game still becomes too difficult, too quickly. Most of my friends are hardcore shmups players (including myself) and they've had no problems with it, but I want to make sure the game is not too frustrating at the beginning - although it technically has infinite continues :)

When you say you're more into classic arcade shmups, which classics do you usually like to play? I'm asking because I may develop more games like Astroforce. Although I'm focusing my efforts on a larger PC game right now, I had a blast creating Astroforce and doing pixel-art again. It took me a month to develop and I would love to create other little shooters like it :)



I will let you know friend :)

I like Cave shmups, Psykio, Raizing. Cave are the best at giving you that "against all odds" feel :wink:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Astroforce - my new Android shooter is available for fre
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:41 pm 



Joined: 30 Oct 2016
Posts: 117
Hey man, my girfriend tried to install it but it says that it is not available in our country (Romania).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Astroforce - my new Android shooter is available for fre
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:15 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Location: California
el_rika wrote:
Hey man, my girfriend tried to install it but it says that it is not available in our country (Romania).


Oh! So sorry! I did a soft release and didn't push out the game to all countries yet. I just added Romania - it may take a few days for the change to go through, I will let you know when I receive a confirmation from the Google PLay Store. Thank you again for offering to try the game, I really appreciate it :)
_________________
Squidbeam Games | Video Game Den


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Astroforce - my new Android shooter is available for fre
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:01 am 



Joined: 30 Oct 2016
Posts: 117
Thank you as well friend.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Astroforce - my new Android shooter is available for fre
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Location: California
el_rika wrote:
Thank you as well friend.


Yo! it looks like it was approved - so the game should now be available :)
_________________
Squidbeam Games | Video Game Den


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Astroforce - my new Android shooter is available for fre
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:52 am 



Joined: 30 Oct 2016
Posts: 117
Hello friend,

So everything went well and my gifriend installed and played the game a few times :D

As i said, she's a casual and doesn't like a screen busy with all kinds of effects and tons of bullets, so this was just right in terms of graphics and overall 'look'. The controls are smooth, the enemy bullets and items are clearly defined. The graphics and effects are good.

But, even for her as a casual, the game feels way too simple. Not necessarily simple in terms of difficulty, but simple in terms of mechanics.
One thing she wished the game had was 8 ways movement, instead of just 2 ways. You probably designed the game speciffically fot this type of movement, but this is how she feels the game would have been more entertaining. Just a little bigger objects (ships, bullets) would also help.
The speed is good, the game flows well.

Good job overall man (i personally would have loved a screen full of bullets and a tiiiny little hitbox :P )


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Astroforce - my new Android shooter is available for fre
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:27 am 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Location: California
el_rika wrote:
Hello friend,

So everything went well and my gifriend installed and played the game a few times :D

As i said, she's a casual and doesn't like a screen busy with all kinds of effects and tons of bullets, so this was just right in terms of graphics and overall 'look'. The controls are smooth, the enemy bullets and items are clearly defined. The graphics and effects are good.

But, even for her as a casual, the game feels way too simple. Not necessarily simple in terms of difficulty, but simple in terms of mechanics.
One thing she wished the game had was 8 ways movement, instead of just 2 ways. You probably designed the game speciffically fot this type of movement, but this is how she feels the game would have been more entertaining. Just a little bigger objects (ships, bullets) would also help.
The speed is good, the game flows well.

Good job overall man (i personally would have loved a screen full of bullets and a tiiiny little hitbox :P )


Wow! Thank you soooo much for playing the game and for all your feedback, I really appreciate it!!!!! :)

And yes, the game was specifically designed for just 2 degrees of freedom - I wanted to create a game inspired by classics such as Space Invaders or Galaga. I also wanted to develop a game within a few weeks (took me three weeks to develop Astroforce). This is why I used this concept - I developed a similar game back in the 1990s for the Atari ST, and I used the gameplay mechanics I originally created and just cranked them up. It was a way for me to explore the mobile market - which I knew would be crazy and, oh boy, I was not expecting it to be THAT CRAZY! My game was already available on pirate website less than a week after release! Insane!

I agree about the hitbox - I think I should reduce it. I have some ideas on how to also balance out the gameplay. How far did you go in the game? I do have additional ships to unlock as you progress (only four so far). I also currently have 14 power-ups and I have a lot more designed. I'm hoping to add them to the game soon - I had to go back to work in order to refill my savings a little though... so my free time is very limited right now... you know how it goes... ;)

Please don't hesitate to send me more feedback, I love it! What do you think I could add to make the game not feel as simple in term of mechanics? I've been adding larger enemies with different attack patterns who join the formations as you progress through the game, do you think I should add more of those? Maybe more power-ups?

Once again, thank you so much for playing the game and for all your awesome feedback, I really appreciate it :)
_________________
Squidbeam Games | Video Game Den


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Astroforce - my new Android shooter is available for fre
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 am 



Joined: 30 Oct 2016
Posts: 117
Man, just do the game you would love to play. If i had your skills i'd certainly do something i'd enjoy pkaying...or at least i'd try :lol:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leander and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group