In DOJ (and others), what is "Stop Mode?"

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
vgambit

In DOJ (and others), what is "Stop Mode?"

Post by vgambit »

I've searched for the answer, but can't find it anywhere. In Batsugun, it's one of the "Cheating" dip switch options: "No-death and stop mode." I think there are also Twin Galaxies submissions noting that it's disabled and describing it as a cheat, but I'm not noticing anything when I turn it on.

Does anyone know what it actually does? I know DOJ on 360 has an EX feature called "Wait control," and disabling it apparently turns off the slowdown emulation, but that doesn't sound like the sort of feature that could even be possible on the PCB.
gray117

Re: In DOJ (and others), what is "Stop Mode?"

Post by gray117 »

can't remember - could be any of the above

But yeah a 'stop mode' could be anything from simply freezing/pausing, to stopping the game cycle to allow certain commands to complete (depending on exact implementation this could be better described as irrupting/holding/skipping) either to, say, remove fake slowdown, or ignore some commands in favour of others - e.g. if game cycle slows down and lags, then either have user input to lag at the same rate (or not), or even do something odd like change movement speed relative to time rather than framerate [player moves at different speed to rest of game], or skip incomplete frames (jerk) rather than slowdown to allow the cycles to catchup [if such a skip occurs is collision still calculated etc. etc.] ... I think there was a switch that disables/lessens (bullet) collision - but presume you'd have notice that effect - so presume it'll be something more like the previous descriptions...