Star Gods Update Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
JOP

Star Gods Update Thread

Post by JOP »

Hey guys, it's been awhile. For those of you who don't know who I am, I am Eric Akins. I am the CEO of JOP Studios and I have been working on a shmup title for PC for awhile now.
Some of you backed my kickstarter back in 2018 so I figured I would update. The game is about 90% done and should be shipping this fall for PC.

Here is a little video of the second to last boss. He isn't quite done yet, but I wanted to get an idea of what you guys think about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zqVo24 ... nyg_afpPsc
clippa

Re: Star Gods Update Thread

Post by clippa »

That is so cool! I loves the bouncy bullets and how they look like worms and hairy caterpillars when they group together at the end there. Really like the wavy sideways bullets too.

I'd never heard of this, will snap it up as soon as it's out. Looks fab! Downloading the demo now.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Promising start you got there :)

What this needs is clear bullet impact effects, and change of appearance for the boss as he is slowly disintegrating.
So, for every successful bullet hit that actually hurts the boss, you would need a red impact effect, and it would be cool to have boss disintegrating as it gets shot. This is easy to plan - create three to five phases of the boss character model where he is reduced to gory skeleton. For each of the disintegrating phases the boss can have a new, different attack.

If there are no impact animations, changes to the appearance on the boss while it's being hurt, and clear phases signaling your progress, the whole fight will feel kinda dull and uneventful, plus your weapons don't really feel like they are any powerful or have any impact.
lkermel

Post by lkermel »

That looks really cool! Are you a solo dev? I know how much work it takes to complete a project like this, congrats!
it290

Post by it290 »

Loving the CV style music on this one.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
FRO

Post by FRO »

The boss looks like a cross between Diablo, and the Mangalores from The Fifth Element. Kinda neat.